meniere

Author Topic: Do not do what I have done :( - A warning!  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
Do not do what I have done :( - A warning!
« on: Apr 27 2013, 02:28 PM »
Hello, Yesterday I had a little bubble thing come up towards the bottom right of my P.C (where the small icons are etc...). To update my "Adobe" reader. On Windows 8 you need this to view things like e-mails (if sent like a letter) and e-mail attachments. It is not like other "Windows".

Well, "Adobe" needed an "up date" I pressed to go ahead like I have always done. The up date was going a bit odd and hay presto - loads of Malware was installed :o I have spent since yesterday getting rid of the stuff! It has been awful and upsetting. I have luckily insured my P.C with John Lewis and they have helped me a lot. They have helped me restore it all but, I have to re-install my other bits and pieces some other time.

The point I think I am making is please if you get any message to update anything even if it looks ok - go on to their web-site directly and do not click to update from any message you see!

My expensive Anti-virus is always up to date and it did not do a thing! In fact I have got rid of it. >:(

Offline Emma

• View Profile
Re: Do not do what I have done :( - A warning!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27 2013, 02:48 PM »
Oh no :(
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline SJ

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27 2013, 03:19 PM »
Thanks for the warning  :)
Hope you get all your bits back.
SJx

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29 2013, 11:23 PM »
Thanks for the warning from me too!!!  I had an adobe reader update bubble thing yesterday, I just delete most of them.

Your anti virus should of detected a problem with the install though.  I had an anti virus program installed on my computer once.  I was looking for something on-line and hey presto I got trojan horses, or something that said it was a trojan horse, I can not remember exactly now.  I just could not get rid of them so had to get my computer to my local computer repair shop.  They said actually what I had was not a real vius it was a spoof virus. I questioned the fact that I had anti virus software installed on my computer.  But, they said as it was not a real virus my anti virus software did not detect it. But, the spoof virus still stopped my computer running.

This left me really confussed, I can tell you!!!!

Thanks for the tip Giddy

Jojo

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02 2013, 04:54 PM »
Thanks for hoping I get my bits back SJ.  It is all going slowly.

Sorry, to hear you have had problems Jojo. It does get really confusing doesn't it?

I was very annoyed with my anti-virus though!  >:( -Useless! I have got rid of it. When it was first ever installed it let a lot of viruses in. I had to pay them to get rid of the viruses as well as paying for the anti-virus CD!

Please if anyone gets the Adobe reader message to update - do not click on it!!!

This Malware "thing" really started messing my P.C up though. You could not put your password very easily in to get it to your P.C. It was really slowing my P.C down and you had a search engine you could not get rid of  - Delta search I think it was called.