Author Topic: To fly or not to fly.  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Russell

• Visitor
    • View Profile
To fly or not to fly.
« on: Jun 09 2013, 05:37 PM »
I'm just recovering from my first bout of MD and hope to see doctor or consultant to see if a grommet might help. Willing to give anything a try - am sure most of you put there will know that feeling!
I' m due to go on holiday in a few weeks and am really concerned that the 2 hr flight could induce another attack - anyone with any experience of flying and impact on MD - good news or bad....hopefully good ! Thanks

suzygirl

Re: To fly or not to fly.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09 2013, 09:55 PM »
I have flown and it has not made things any worse for me.  I do tend to avoid alcohol on the flight though.  :angel:

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10 2013, 03:42 PM »
I think the general consensus is flying doesnt affect MD - although there is the age old everyone is different - but fingers crossed you will be one of the many when it comes to flying :)
I tend to fly 2/3 times a year and so far generally its been fine - I've had a few MD attacks but this was because I was going through an active phase, not because of the flying itself x
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10 2013, 04:35 PM »
In strictly medical  theory , there should be no connection. Flying and air pressure changes from it affect your middle ear whereas MD affects your inner ear and is related to excess fluid which is unaffected by flying. Consultants generally advise there will be no problem, at least an attack wont be provoked by flying. You could , of course, just coincidentally have an attack in the middle of flying and I think that would be horrible. Best perhaps to avoid periods of large clusters of attacks. The airport noises, lighting and crowds can be difficult. Some people with significant mobility MD problems use a wheelchair and declare their disability. I suggest using sun glasses however a prat you feel indoors with them on and try to sit on the plane near the loos with your meds in your cabin bag and a spare bag in case of sickness. You are very unlikely to need them but it all adds confidence which is half the battle. Try to relax as stress can provoke an attack.
I put off flying for a couple of years after attacks started but have now flown several times with no problems at all. Indeed, it seems to be one of the rare environments when you are not aware of the tinnitus at all. i also use EARPLANES from Boots- they are cheap earplugs which equalise pressure on ascent and descent if you are prone to feeling those changes.
The holiday will probably do you a world of good so try and enjoy

Chrissie!

Chrissieg

Offline Russell

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13 2013, 07:16 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your responses - gives me some confidence. For info, also read on another site that many people use adult Ear Planes as another precaution. Thanks again

Offline bra863

• View Profile
    • My own
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17 2013, 11:39 PM »
My last flight, in 2011, was my 83rd one and I have never had a MD attack during any of them. In fact I usually feel better than usual when flying. A number of flights have been 12 hours long.
I do not drink alcohol, so cannot say whether that would affect me.

Brian
Brian
Total hearing loss in right ear since 1991, when Ménière's was diagnosed.
Retired in 1991.

Offline jeannette

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 18 2013, 12:00 AM »
Just returned from a trip, had two flights - including one with a violently bouncy landing - but probably thanks to the diazepam which I'm a believer in, no problems - and definitely no MD type problems flying, again.   In fact, I definitely do feel much better in the air than on the ground.  Enjoy your flights - take medication aboard just in case, more for confidence than anything else.   Hope the holiday is great for you.

Offline Russell

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 18 2013, 03:35 PM »
Jeanette and Brian - many thanks for your responses which, along with the others, have given me confidence to carry on with holiday plans......lightly laden with ear planes, medication, sick bags etc !!!!