Author Topic: cycling and MD  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Dizzy Hoon

• View Profile
cycling and MD
« on: Jun 13 2013, 11:18 AM »
Hello All

Fairly new to the forum, as I'm currently off work this is replacing my coffee - decaf :( and pre work natter with colleagues!  So I've been reading some old posts, one from about a year ago re exercise & MD. In my wisdom (??) I joined a gym at the start of the year (again I was off work but didn't have a diagnosis). I've been doing one Zumba class a week prior to that (fine when symptom free). On my gym induction I had an attack (although I didn't realise it at the time) within my first few minutes on the rower. I've avoided the rower ever since!! I've managed to continue with Zumba, on and off, learning that I can't turn quickly and totally impossible if my arms are raised!  I find the treadmill and cross trainer OK.  The static bike is OK for about 5-10 minutes max before I start feeling an attack comming on.  So I was reading with interest about the MDUK cycling club......... I don't feel safe on a static bike so hats off to anyone going out on the road!!!! I certainly wouldn't like to live that dangerously.

Sorry, bit of a ramble....... point I'm trying to make is MD is so individual. ....and as someone else pointed out, that's what makes MD so fun  :P  I'm trying to learn to live each day as it comes, there may be things I have to avoid now but that also means there are new things to experience. Exercise and a healthy lifestyle helps and thankfully most of my gym buddies now laugh with me when I'm doing the complete opposite of every one else!

If you've read this far, thank you,  it's great to share and helps to feel less alone. Celebrate you're uniqueness xx

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: cycling and MD
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28 2013, 09:52 AM »
Sorry DH I had missed this one.

The MDUKCC is free to join and actively encourages drugs cheating (betahistine, diuretics etc.).

The membership is small and so there is a high probability of picking up an award of some description.

Members report that getting the blood flowing and creating endorphins helps with dealing with MD.  At the very least it can take your mind off it.

So donít take your hat off, rather put your helmet on....

There is a mileage based championship.  My current total for the year is 2,946 but I fear that Spinner is ahead of this.  Jeanette was in third place last time we compared notes.

P.S.  I would not feel safe on a static bike in a gym.  Wrong environment for me and the views are somewhat limited.

I do agree with your uniqueness observation.  MD is not only idiopathic it is idiosyncratic.

No wonder the medical community find us such hard work!

Offline Dizzy Hoon

• View Profile
Re: cycling and MD
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28 2013, 10:21 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement but I've never been to good on a bike before MD symptoms appeared so really can't see me getting out on the road anytime soon!  Although I am going to start increasing my exercise.
Best of luck with the mileage competition  :)