Author Topic: Betahistine  (Read 4100 times)

Offline RussT

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Betahistine
« on: Jul 11 2013, 08:57 PM »
Hi all,
I have been suffering with Meniers for five years and recently the symptoms have got worse.
Having been prescribed Betahistine a number of times but am unable to tolerate the drug, causing me stomach upsets etc. can any members of the group recommend an alternative that helps with the vertigo.

NEWOSA65

Re: Betahistine
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11 2013, 09:14 PM »
Hi Russ and welcome... if the betahistine does not work then you may require meds for dizziness/vertigo, perhaps on a daily basis.  You should try cinnarizine 15mg.  This is prescription but you can purchase this drug in the form of stugeron which contains the 15mg cinnarizine.  This can be purchased from any pharmacy.  However it is much cheaper in long run to get a prescription esp if you are going be taking this tablet daily.  It has no bad side effects and works on the ear only unlike stemetil which works on the brain.  Normal dose is 3 x 15mg daily of cinnarizine but some take 6 x 15mg daily when things are bad.  I was fine on this drug even at the higher dose.  It can make you feel a bit drowsy for first week or so but that will wear off with time.  This tablet is also efective at controlling dizziness and vertigo.  It is an antihistamine tablet.  Hope this helps.. Simon :)

Offline RussT

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11 2013, 09:40 PM »
Hi Simon,
Thanks for your reply - very informative,  I've got a number of Hayfever and Allergy Relief tablets which contain Cetirizine Hydrochloride 10mg & Lactose, the dosage is one a day. Are these the same?
Russ.

Offline Dizzy Hoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11 2013, 10:50 PM »
Hi Russ
I was initially prescribed Betahistine but it was not effective (although I am sceptical that my GP did not give me enough time for it to work).  I am now on Cinnarizine 30mg x3 a day and it has helped with my symptoms and I notice when I haven't taken it.  I have this prescribed and can't help you with regard to cinnarizine in over the counter medications.

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22 2013, 05:51 PM »
Hi all,
I have been suffering with Meniers for five years and recently the symptoms have got worse.
Having been prescribed Betahistine a number of times but am unable to tolerate the drug, causing me stomach upsets etc. can any members of the group recommend an alternative that helps with the vertigo.

Hello, I think I know what this could be! You know when you were taking your Betahistine? Did you ever have one called "Serc"? Mum and I are funny with Betahistine but, ok with Serc as there is something in the Betahistine it that upsets us (It is generic as well). We think it could be the Lactose. Your G.P should be able to let you have Serc if you ask them.