meniere

Author Topic: ENT appointment  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Dizzy Hoon

• View Profile
ENT appointment
« on: Aug 02 2013, 11:10 PM »
Hello all

I have an ENT appointment next Friday.  I want to make the most of the appointment so was wondering if any of you wonderful people have any suggestions as to what I should ask? My initial thoughts are around hearing aids, not so much for hearing but tinititus.

Any comments or suggestions would be gratefully received

Offline Dizzy Hoon

• View Profile
Re: ENT appointment
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03 2013, 06:46 PM »
Thought I should add a brief summary of my problems.......

I have had ENT problems since my early 20s (I'm now 40).  I always thought it was a sinus problem. In my 20's my GP recommended taking decongestants on a regular basis.  I didn't trouble the GP after that, although the problem never really resolved itself. In December 2012 I started to experience ear ache in my right ear - it felt like an ear infection, the kind of pressure that makes you think your ear drum is about to bust, but GP said there was no sign of an infection.  I had this pain for 6 weeks, had a couple of antibiotics and various pain killers to no avail. I was also experience dizziness and nausea.   Finally my GP referred me to ENT, (this was in April 2013), an MRI didn't show anything abnormal,  my hearing test showed I have a low frequency hearing loss. The ENT consultant said all my symptoms were like those of Menieres but didn't go so far as to say I had Menieres.  I am awaiting another hearing test so that there is a base line to measure my hearing loss (ie whether it fluctuates). I have been offered no other tests/examinations like a balance test. In the mean time I continue to suffer intermittently from bouts of dizziness and nausea, a feeling of pressure/fullness in my ears/head and constant tinnitus.
I am thankful that things are not worse, work have been very good but I worry their patience is wearing thin and without a firm diagnosis of something I am becoming more anxious about my job security.  In June 2013 I had a major attach of vertigo and have been off work since.  The vertigo has eased somewhat, I would call it more dizziness rather vertigo now.  My GP initially gave me Betahistine, which I took for a week before I saw my GP again and my medication was changed to Cinnarizine (I wish I had been more assertive and asked to keep taking it for longer).  I don't seem to have had much success with the Cinnarizine, as an experiment I have stopped taking it.  In terms of dizziness there is no difference but I am almost constantly feeling nauseous.  The Buccastem prescribed by GP is being used quite a lot now! 

I understand that MD takes times to diagnose but reading about it I would say I have all the symptoms (vertigo/dizziness, fullness in ears, tinititus and hearing loss).  I don't think my local ENT dept has a very good reputation so I would really like to go prepared and try to get as much out of it as possible as I don't know when I might get the chance again.

Sorry about long ramble, look forward to hearing your comments  :)