meniere

Author Topic: Condensation on windows  (Read 3132 times)

Offline harry

• View Profile
Condensation on windows
« on: Dec 10 2013, 04:17 PM »
Why do I spend so much time clearing my windows of condensation? I've got double glazing, I vent the house by opening windows each day and I have central heating ( although not on as much as I would like due to cost). yet every morning I have to wipe my windows.

Any words of wisdom or solutions?

suzygirl

Re: Condensation on windows
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10 2013, 04:19 PM »
Has your double glazing got window vents?  If not you can buy them and fit them, newer windows automatically have them.

A dehumidifier is another solution, as it dries the air out so less moisture to the windows.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11 2013, 12:04 PM »
Hi Deb,

I not sure what you mean by window vents?

Harry

suzygirl

« Reply #3 on: Dec 11 2013, 03:36 PM »
At the top of your window there shoulder be a type of shutter which allows the air in to flow freely.  It is like a vent you can slide open or close.  This has challenged my foggy brain to describe  ;)

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12 2013, 04:19 PM »
Hi Deb,

I do not have vents as described but would not consider my windows to be that old.

I understand the moisture in the house bit but no one else seems to have it this bad when I look at other peoples windows.Perhaps I need the heating on longer or have some windows open during the night.

I will have to try out some different things to see what works but I can't believe that I am that different to other people in the way I live in my house.

Thanks for your ideas

Harry

Offline Dizzy Hoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12 2013, 05:32 PM »
I think it also depends on the type/style of your house.  I have an old damp cottage and despite having double glazing with vents I still get condensation and that is with the heating on regardless of cost - I would rather eat baked beans every day!!  I also have small rooms which I don't think helps either.

suzygirl

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12 2013, 06:31 PM »
Basically the water in the air is drawn to the coldest spot in the room.  The colder the temperature the more condensation you get.  We have it in our house, yet we have vents and insulation etc etc etc

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14 2013, 11:58 AM »

A dehumidifier is another solution, as it dries the air out so less moisture to the windows.

Hello! We have had to buy one of these. It is very damp and mouldy in our flat. :o (Cannot wait to move!) If you are thinking about buying one you have to shop around.

There is a rough guide in the Argos book as you have to work out the area of the room for the right dehumidifier etc... Also, they are only just bringing out "super silent" dehumidifiers. Ours is noisey and is in the livingroom. So, it is hard to watch Tv. It gets depressing after a while.

You have to have them on for a long time for dry windows but, for windows it does work. Mould wise we still have got it - not as bad as it was though. We are still shocked by how much water the dehumidifier has got in it from our room.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16 2013, 04:06 PM »
Hi

From what I have read you have to ventilate the room and ensure the air moves around the house. You have to lower your heating as warmer air retains more moisture. Leave your heating on for longer but lower and reduce moisture issues in your house like cooking,showering,drying wet clothes etc by extracting the moist air which will mainly occur in the bathroom and kitchen.

Then it will all be sorted!! as previously advised trying out different things to see what works best. Will report back in due course.

Apparently it is also worse at the beginning of winter as your house has accumulated moisture during the summer then you start to use your central heating. Which creates hot then cold room temperatures along with cold surficies like windows which = condensation

suzygirl

« Reply #9 on: Dec 16 2013, 05:56 PM »
You should have a chat with my hubby  ;D, he is obsessed with it all.  He has bought a laser gun that tells you the temperature in each room, and he goes around the house checking.  Of course Izzy my cat thinks it is especially for her!  ;)

Seriously though that simple explanation was very helpful.  We have a dehumidifer outside the bathroom as my boys are constantly in the shower.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19 2013, 01:09 PM »
Hi Deb,

My wife says I have a touch of OCD about this as well  ;D.

I am venting the house by opening some windows each day until lunchtime. humidity drops by about 5% to about 55%. I think it needs to be close to 40%. Have not managed to get it below 54% yet but it was 67% when I started last week.

Been clear of condensation for 2 nights ( it has been milder?) last night dried some washing in house overnight ( Dryer broken) humidity up by 6% and consensation!

Just read what I have put I THINK MY WIFE IS RIGHT ABOUT THE OCD ;D

Harry

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23 2013, 12:25 PM »

Seriously though that simple explanation was very helpful.  We have a dehumidifer outside the bathroom as my boys are constantly in the shower.

Hello! Have you got an extractor fan in your bathroom?

suzygirl

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23 2013, 06:16 PM »
Yes we do have an extractor fan in the bathroom.  The boys turn the shower up and we get a lot of steam.  Between football matches, work and going out they spend a lot of time in the shower, I should be grateful they are so clean!

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24 2013, 10:12 PM »
I should be grateful they are so clean!

lol.... I agree!  ;)