meniere

Author Topic: 2nd Steroid Injection Today  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Wigwam

• View Profile
2nd Steroid Injection Today
« on: Dec 16 2013, 09:12 PM »
Had the 2nd (of 3) steroid injection at Derby Royal today - bloody hell it was painful! Much worse than the first one. Fingers crossed that it works better than the first one did!
Cheers!

Tony 'Wigwam' Pearce

Offline Emma

• View Profile
Re: 2nd Steroid Injection Today
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16 2013, 09:42 PM »
Oooo I didn't expect them to be painful for some reason :( hope your okay now. And hope it works quickly and well!
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

NEWOSA65

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16 2013, 09:59 PM »
Hi there,

The steroid injection is slightly more painful than the gent injection in that it tends to sting more as the steroid enters the middle ear.  However, if the eardrum is numbed sufficiently then the needle that passes through the eardrum or grommet should not cause any pain at all! What these ENTs tend to do is to apply a local anaesthetic to the eardrum and then leave the patient waiting too long ie., by the time you're shouted in for the procedure the anaesthetic has almost worn off!!!  It takes hold after 30 minutes.

In some cases the steroid injection is just as effective as the gent injection and should not be knocked until giving it a try.

Simon :)

Offline Wigwam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16 2013, 10:10 PM »
I appreciate that Simon - as I am actually (maybe surprising to some) a operating theatre technician/anaesthetic assistant in a ENT Theatre. When I had the grommet inserted a few months back, they used emla cream first. With my 2 steroid injections (so far) they injected local anaesthetic behind my ear - it was sharp the first time, but worked great. This time the local anaesthetic hurt, as did the tympanic steroid injection. I'm certainly not rubbishing any treatment or anyone. Apologies if I have upset, or worried anyone about taking this treatment
Cheers!

Tony 'Wigwam' Pearce

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16 2013, 10:15 PM »
Ooo no you've just been honest, I would rather know what to expect. I'm hoping for steroids in the new year x
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline cork.wobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16 2013, 11:04 PM »
You got an anaesthetic!!!  when I had the Gent Ablation my first was done while i was on the operating table when the grommet was fitted and the other 8 were done with no anaesthetic to my knowledge.
One every eight hours over the course of three days, not nice being woken at 4 in the night to have that stuff pumped in yer lughole :).

Hope it goes well for you.

Offline Ashley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17 2013, 08:47 AM »
I hope the next 2 injections cause less pain!! Will it all be over by Christmas?

Offline Penny1871

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17 2013, 04:59 PM »
I didn't have any kind of anaesthetic when I had my steroid injections. It did make my toes curl a little (to say the least!) but I survived to tell the tale! I did have some cream inserted into my ear before I had the grommet though!
Hope the treatment brings you some relief.