meniere

Author Topic: watch salt content!  (Read 2840 times)

NEWOSA65

watch salt content!
« on: Dec 24 2013, 02:54 PM »
I am not sure how many of you people watch your salt intake - i for one have a moderate salt intake approx 2 - 2.5g sodium which i consider an healthy intake esp if one is on diuretics.  I have just been eating some dry roasted peanuts which i find addictive!  However the salt content per 100g is very high - wish now i'd have bought the spicy variety! lol  But seriously everything is loaded with salt these days unless one eats fresh foods which maybe healthy but have little taste!!  I guess there's nothing like salt for flavour?!  I 've bought plenty of beers etc but know my limits!

How many of you continue to follow a strict low salt diet even at Christmas time???

Cheers,

Simon

Offline Rosemary

• Sometimes down but never out!
    • View Profile
Re: watch salt content!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24 2013, 04:48 PM »
Hi Simon. I found cutting down on my salt levels one of the hardest changes. No problem with cutting out alcohol,  takeaways etc but boy do I miss my salt

Do eat processed foods but aim for below .5 gms per 100g, don't add salt to food in cooking or table etc.  Do treat myself to a little low salt on chips but that's it

I haven't had a chrisp since march BUT for my Christmas treat have bought a tube of  Pringles just for me!  Otherwise I will carry on as normal as really don't want to get back into the taste of salt and have to go through withdrawal again!

Ps used to love the dry roasted nuts too  :-\

Offline Dizzy Hoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24 2013, 08:52 PM »
Rosemary - check the salt content of your Pringles... I nearly fell off my chair when I saw how low (relatively) in salt they are in comparison to traditional crisps.

I religiously stuck to a low salt diet for a month but now am a bit more relaxed about it.  For me personally I don't think it makes much of a difference to my symptoms. 

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24 2013, 10:03 PM »
Rosemary - check the salt content of your Pringles... I nearly fell off my chair when I saw how low (relatively) in salt they are in comparison to traditional crisps.

Pringles are lethal - please be careful! My Mum has had quite a few bad MD attacks after eating them. A Nurse had to come out and inject my Mum as she would not stop being sick. (Mum's usual tablets did not work) - sorry, to say this - it is  just a warning for you. ;)

Offline Rosemary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25 2013, 04:07 PM »
Doh!  Can't even turn to chocolate for comfort (migraines). Another turkey buttie anyone?

x

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26 2013, 10:17 AM »
Doh!  Can't even turn to chocolate for comfort (migraines). Another turkey buttie anyone?

x

I know how you feel there - I have had to stop eating chocolate for the same reason even the dairy free stuff is just as bad. :o  We don't do Turkey  ;)  What about Cake!!?? ;D

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26 2013, 10:21 AM »
Tyrells do a big bag of crisps called "naked" with no salt at all- I grind some black pepper into the bag for flavour or use dips. Walkers and most supermarkets do multi pack bags of no salt crisps with a little packet of salt you can add if you want. The Walkers ones are reasonable. They also do a range called Sunbites and the sweet chilli ones are very nice and only .17 a bag so you can indulge.
My 1st year of MD , I was very strict over Xmas and consequently quite miserable. I've lightened up now and just try to be careful at breakfast , less careful at dinner/lunch and whatever I fancy in the evening. No ill consequences so far
Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline Rosemary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26 2013, 09:19 PM »
Love cake - thank you

I have read that it's not just the total daily level of your salt intake but the flucuations of the amount of salt during the day.  I am finding the whole thing hard work at the moment - think I will follow chrissies advice over Christmas and lighten up a bit

Only thing is I have rather a large list of food I have to avoid or eat in moderation now and am planning to start a weight losing diet in the new year :( !

Rosemary x

NEWOSA65

« Reply #8 on: Dec 27 2013, 10:38 AM »
Has anyone tried the garlic pepper from sainsburys?  Adds unbelievable taste to healthy bland food! And yes, its all to do with the amount of salt that is consumed at any one serving rather than the overall quantity of salt that is consumed in a day.  A normal diet minus the salt pot is the way to go - normal diet meaning low to moderate sodium intake.  What we have to remember is that if we had zero salt intake we would still have the attacks - the low sodium diet does not control this disease!  Eg., i used to have almost zero sodium but i still had 4 major vertigo attacks per week!  So don't be too hard on yourselves:)

Offline Penny1871

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30 2013, 11:23 AM »
Agree with Chrissie.  I love the Walkers Sunbites and eat the Tyrrells Naked crisps as well throwing in a bit of ground pepper to spice them up a bit too as they definitely do taste naked without the salt!  Hope you all managed to stay reasonably well over the Christmas period.  This was the first Christmas in 3 years that I've not spent in bed with the spins!