Author Topic: Future mduk  (Read 3264 times)

NEWOSA65

Future mduk
« on: Feb 07 2014, 08:58 AM »
Hi folks,

Most people may know (although a lot of the passed older members do not come on here anymore) that I have helped to run this place since Dec 2007.  In those days I had more time on my hands and was able to log in more and answer more posts etc mainly because I was suffering quite badly with the illness and was not able to work. There's no doubt about it though, this place was and still is a godsend for me and I cannot thank passed and current members enough for all their kind help and support. And of course Alec, who continued to fund this place post illness. 

Two years ago I decided to take the forum over from Alec Sharman as I didn't want to see this place come to end.  Due to the fact that I find such little time to come on here and help others I am wondering whether it is time for me to step aside and offer this place to someone new?  I am not sure how popular I am on here anymore - I hardly ever find the time to log in and answer posts... I still however do my best to answer personal messages some of which are pleasant and some which are not. 

I would like your view on the above please... is it time for a change on here???  This place doesn't come free, it does cost money to keep it running which although is not a massive sum of money it all adds up when one has other things to pay for.  I am happy to stick around and to continue funding this place but I feel that as I now have had treatment and have moved on (well, lets hope I continue to move on!) then is this place really for me anymore?

Please let me have your views?

Simon

Offline Ashley

• View Profile
Re: Future mduk
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07 2014, 05:27 PM »
Hi Simon
I'm not sure whether you wanted a response on or off forum. However, as a relatively new member, I did just want to say a big thank you for picking up and sustaining the forum when you did. I have found it to be a real source of comfort and reassurance. All too often, it's easy to feel alone, especially when newly diagnosed - I am extremely glad I had this place to come to.

Personally, I think that if you're happy to continue in your role as owner, then hats off to you  :salute:.and thank you. As someone who has come through the worst of MD and out into "the real world" again, I'd say you're more than well qualified for the job ;).

Wishing you continued growth and happiness.
Ashley.

Offline dmj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07 2014, 06:17 PM »
I think Ashley speaks for a lot us in sending very heartfelt thanks to you for keeping the forum going.    Its a great place to ask for and get advice and support and just generally let off steam.  Its also great to have somewhere to check into for reassurance just to know that you're not the only who is dealing with/has dealt with the many issues a chronic condition like Menieres can throw at you.

Since you asked for comments, is it fair that one person should have to pay to keep the forum going?       Could the Menieres Society take over the forum?  That, or a change in ownership may affect quite significantly how it is run but if taken under the umbrella of the Menieres Society would at least (hopefully) give the forum some reasonable security in the long term.

just  a thought.

dorothy

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07 2014, 08:12 PM »
I think it's a great forum and you have a lot of experience to add to the forum. And if you don't get on much so what. Enjoy life. And that's what us mods are for :)
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline Rosemary

• Sometimes down but never out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08 2014, 08:42 AM »
Hi Simon. I would like to thank you for all your work towards this forum. It was such a relief to find it and know that there were other people "out there" who knew and understood how I felt!

Unless you feel you have had enough (and I am not surprised if you have been having unpleasant pms :-X) I think you are more than qualified to lead the forum and if too busy to come on all the time that really doesn't matter.

Re the costs, I agree with Dorothy, it's not fair you are picking up all the costs! is there any way that the menieres society could pick those up, I would be happy to pay an increase in my membership to them to help cover it - would it be worth approaching them?  Failing that how much are we talking about is it something that could be spread among the users?

Rosemary x

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08 2014, 02:57 PM »
That is a very good point to make Rosemary about sharing the cost. I would agree with that totally!!!

Just to say best wishes to you Simon in what ever you decide to do.

One thing I know for certain you will really be missed on the forum.

Take care Jojox

Offline Rosemary

• Sometimes down but never out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08 2014, 07:20 PM »
Okay Simon, got me intrigued  ;) who is Mylie? x

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08 2014, 11:01 PM »
I'm with Emma and you pop in a lot more frequently than Alec used to(sorry Alec ! ) .I inherited his yahoo group when he set this up to keep it going and I'm now busy with my facebook group (nice no drama group just in case you need to know if Simon does decide to close this  ;))  but still pop in to help mod . The amount of time peeps spend on these groups does depend on how badly they are suffering at the time and what they need to find out and they do tend to move on when they feel better .As for the cost Rosemary ,this forum and the other groups are run by peer to peer support .The Meniere's Society is happy for us to do this and advertise it in SPIN but it is up to us and they have no input and offer no financial support if it is needed whatsoever .It is the same with the face to face support groups that meet too .

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09 2014, 11:11 AM »
I completely agree with Spinners points Simon. But, if you feel you are now in a different place with conflicting demands on your time and energy and would feel some relief by letting the forum go from your responsibility, then I would say please feel you can.
I have noticed over the past year or so that your posts tend to be when you can offer specific advice and support over certain issues and questions which you have experienced rather than the general support responses and these are well offered by the mods and other members - so , in my view, this is perfect.
Thank you for all your time and commitment over the past years
Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18 2014, 11:20 AM »
As a very new user only recently diagnosed with Meniere's, I am extremely grateful for all those who contribute to the running of the forum.  I would be happy to make a small contribution to the costs, how would I go about this?

I think as someone who has come out the other side of your illness you are the perfect person to offer advice, support and inspiration.  However I understand if you feel you'd like to put it all behind you and move on.

Many thanks to all who make this forum an informative and pleasant place to be  :)

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04 2014, 04:06 PM »

I think as someone who has come out the other side of your illness you are the perfect person to offer advice, support and inspiration.  However I understand if you feel you'd like to put it all behind you and move on.

Many thanks to all who make this forum an informative and pleasant place to be  :)

I agree with Nuttyneddy - You know how it feels to feel the way some of us do. You have gone through it!

If I had not joined I may have never known what I had wrong with me. - I was wrongly diagnosed with MD and found out that I have got two other problems instead. One I knew about a couple of months ago (thank you to the members who mentioned Leicester were good). The other problem I found out this week through a "Topic". I really would not know what would have happened to me if I had not have found out what it was - things are much worse now. I am so grateful that you have got this message board  ;D  Thank you!!! Also my Mum has had help though this message board too as my Mum has got MD/MAV.

NEWOSA65

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05 2014, 09:34 AM »
Thanks everyone for your messages and kind words.  I have decided to stick around a bit longer, I don't care about the costs of running this place - as long as it helps you people i'm quite happy to keep this place up and running :)  I am off to Europe now for 2 weeks... speak soon.. good ear really noisy today, perhaps it was the booze that i had last night or was it the salty food(!)... truth is i've passed caring as even when i haven't had drink and salt, its still bloody noisy!  Look after yourselves, Simon xxx

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 05 2014, 09:56 AM »
Bon voyage, and thank you  :afro:

Offline Ashley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05 2014, 11:04 AM »
Bon voyage, and thank you  :afro:

Couldn't have put it better  ;)

Thank you Simon  :goodstuff:  :clap:!

suzygirl

« Reply #14 on: Apr 05 2014, 07:23 PM »
I am really pleased to hear that Simon and I hope you have a great 2 weeks in Europe  :)

Offline Emma

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05 2014, 08:19 PM »
Yay and happy holidays!  X
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline Dizzy Hoon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14 2014, 05:32 PM »
I'm a bit slow on the response but I haven't been here that much recently.  Back today because I had to come home early from work :(  Anyway, I completely agree with previous comments.  This site was a complete life saver when I first became ill.  It's helped me understand more about my condition without all the medical jargon and with lovely friendly supportive members who can really understand ALL the implications of MD.  I might not come here as often as I did last year but I still pop by from time to time. 

Simon, you are doing a wonderful job and I am eternal grateful for you keeping the site going.  Hope you enjoyed your holidays  :)

NEWOSA65

« Reply #17 on: Apr 19 2014, 10:28 PM »
Thank you so much for your kind comments... arrived back today, was in Southampton by 8am.  We travelled to Gibraltar, Spain and MonteCarlo and Italy.. leaning tower sure enough is leaning quite badly but I expected it to be much higher than it was!  We was also scheduled to call at two other Ports but the ship needed a repair job doing (in Barcelona) so we missed out on those two places.  Also we had two medical emergencies.  However despite that we had a great time  25degrees in Barcelona and similar in Pissa.  I drank and ate way too much but this hasn't had any negative impact on my good ear.  In fact, the tinnitus in my good ear is much less now!  I put this down to two possibilities... I have had no internet access for two weeks so not been staring at the PC Monitor for hours on end(as i usually dofor my work) and secondly I believe that a low intake of food contributes to making my ear feel much worse perhaps due to low sugar levels, who knows?!!  This of course may be completely wrong but the only two (big) obvious changes that have been made.

Thanks again for the comments :)xxx

Offline Giddy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 20 2014, 11:04 AM »
Glad you had a nice holiday and felt well. :) Sounds like you had some drama's on the ship!

Offline Dizzymare

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23 2014, 09:47 AM »
This forum is a life saver. Since coming on here, I feel much more positive about the future. It's a massive relief to hear from fellow MD sufferers. I was finding it really difficult to try to explain to people what MD is and the affect it has on every day life and had never met or spoken to anyone else with it! Now I don't care because I can come on here.

A huge thank you to all who contribute to and run this site. ;D ;D ;D

Jane 

Offline ladar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20 2014, 01:51 PM »
Hi

I'm a bit late coming to this item but would like to add that I feel the same as lots of other members in that you are doing an excellent job running the mduk website.  I also agree that if there was somehow a way to make it as a membership (independent of the menieres society) then may be that is something to be considered for the future.

Like most people on here I gave found e forum extremely beneficial with lots of different levels of advice that as a relatively new member has been incredible.

Keep up the good work Simon for as long as you feel like it.  You will be missed if you do decide to finish bit good luck.  Sounds like the cruise was a good success.
Linda