Author Topic: SeaFood Chowder recipes at The BBC Food webpage  (Read 5694 times)

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
SeaFood Chowder recipes at The BBC Food webpage
« on: Mar 21 2005, 02:58 PM »
A few years ago, we went on a family holiday to Ireland. A week near Cork and then a week in Duncannon Co Wexford. On a day trip to Wexford, Irish national heritage park, we stopped off for a spot of lunch.
I thought I'd have something light to eat, and ordered what I thought to be just a fish soup and crusty rolls, actually a mixed Seafood Chowder. Wow what a meal, I was thoroughly stuffed!!

There was a good recipe in the Radio Times for a Seafood Chowder a few months ago, I havent cooked one yet, but I will have to try it.

Anyway, here's a link to a seafood chowder on the BBC website. It will probably need a little tinkering with to reduce the Salt/sodium content,
BBC Lifestyle Seafood Chowder

Or a Chunky Seafish Version

Yum yum,
Jon.
Tinnitus and deafness left ear 1981 onwards.
Diagnosed with meniere's in 1993.
Retired from work 1995.
HNPP - Hereditary Neuropathy with Pressure Palsy

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21 2005, 03:39 PM »
Thanks Jon,
Looks good but being a Scot we have a simpler recipe and I think I will stay with it. It uses a Finnan Haddie or any lightly smoked white fish and is called Cullen Skink (usually made with leftover mashed potatos,making it even simpler!)
  Fiona

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22 2005, 03:42 PM »
Thanks Fiona. I had to have a look for Cullen Skink, and lo and behold the Beeb have a Cullen Skink by Nick Nairn and another by
Mary Addison

I thought, there must be a Welsh version, and prolly plenty others from around the British coastline, so good old google came to my aid, and here is what looks to be the Welsh Version

Now I think I will have to pay a visit to Tovey's our local fresh fish shop.

Jon.
Tinnitus and deafness left ear 1981 onwards.
Diagnosed with meniere's in 1993.
Retired from work 1995.
HNPP - Hereditary Neuropathy with Pressure Palsy

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23 2005, 03:13 PM »
hello Jon
Thanks,the Welsh page was interesting,but dont like the sound of Nicks soup, it has cabbage and no potatos,must have them,the other recipe looks better. I just make it with what I have, the basics ie fish,milk,potatos,seasoning etc and some cream

valar2006

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11 2005, 07:44 PM »
Right, you're right!