Author Topic: Sounds when moving your head?  (Read 6669 times)

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
Sounds when moving your head?
« on: Mar 12 2014, 05:57 PM »
I have 24/7 tinnitus which sounds like a metallic screeching, but I've noticed that if I nod or shake my head I get different sounds, nodding sounds like a light sabre, and shaking makes quite a pleasant chiming sound (plays havoc with the dizzies though!)

Does anyone else have this?  Or know what causes it?

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
Re: Sounds when moving your head?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02 2014, 08:36 AM »
I'm wondering if it is caused by the fluid in the ear moving (that would be cochlear hydrops I guess, if I can hear it?).  Having had a particularly bad day yesterday I noticed that I hardly had to move my head at all to hear the light sabres etc.  Clenching my jaw, particularly when chewing, also makes a sound.

It's certainly peculiar!

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02 2014, 04:58 PM »
I get the light sabre noise too when I move my head quickly - it is weird!
Chrissieg

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02 2014, 05:03 PM »
The first time I discovered it was by tossing my hair out of my eyes, then I had to do it a few more times to see if it happened again  (experimentation dontcha know?  ;) )  Hubby thinks I'm weird  ;D

Offline Dizzymare

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04 2014, 10:33 AM »
Mine's a constant buzz, just like when you've been at a party with loud music, then when you come out, your ears are buzzing. Not that I go anywhere near that sort of environment now ;). It also changes very abruptly to a completely different sound. Sometimes a screech or a whine and sometimes a clicking and a lot of pulsating. Definitely very weird, in fact, we're a reet weird bunch, aren't we!!! :banana:

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04 2014, 10:49 AM »
Oh, the light sabres are just an added extra  ;)  The normal tinnitus is a constant, metallic screeching in my right ear, which echoes into my left if I'm somewhere quiet and sounds like water trickling into a tank, or perhaps those bamboo windchimes you can get.

I also notice when I'm dropping off to sleep a sound like swooping - sort of like a bumblebee swooping down past my ear.  It only happens as I'm going to sleep, so I used to think I'd dreamt it, but it has happened so many times now I'm sure it's real (or as real as tinnitus ever is).

Sometimes I think it's a shame other people can't hear these noises we hear, just for interest  :P

Offline Dizzymare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04 2014, 10:05 PM »
We could go on forever couldn't we :). Made me giggle to myself. Thanks. Joking aside, it helps me to come to terms with it now but at first I struggled. I felt quite isolated but, especially since coming on this forum, I feel a lot more able to cope with the wretched thing. Keep smiling.

Jane

Offline bubbagump

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20 2014, 08:38 PM »
I'm wondering if it is caused by the fluid in the ear moving (that would be cochlear hydrops I guess, if I can hear it?).  Having had a particularly bad day yesterday I noticed that I hardly had to move my head at all to hear the light sabres etc.  Clenching my jaw, particularly when chewing, also makes a sound.

It's certainly peculiar!

clenching the jaw changes the sound for sure.

Offline Rosemary

• Sometimes down but never out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03 2015, 12:23 PM »
I had a new sound yesterday, woke up and asked my husband to switch off his alarm radio and he told me crossly (you know how bad tempered men can be when you rouse them at 3'oclock in the morning ::)) it wasn't on.  Then spent time wandering round the house looking for the radio, telly or computer that was left on. 

Realised my ear has now gone musically!  It's definitely a tune but just slightly too low for me to recognize the song - well makes a change to the hissing, screaching in the other ear I surpose? Got myself back off to sleep humming along to it (husband in really good mood now!!!)

Sorry I haven't been on for a while - been really well (well as well as a partially deaf, pill taking, wobbly knackered MD sufferer can be) ;D >:( >:(

Rosemary x

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03 2015, 11:15 PM »
been really well (well as well as a partially deaf, pill taking, wobbly knackered MD sufferer can be) ;D >:( >:(

Hi Rosemary

Had to have a giggle at your last sentence (above).  That sums me up completely!!!!!

Jojox

Offline Warren T

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08 2015, 11:49 PM »
 :o
I don't have any noises in my ears.....Is this a MD staging thing ?!..... I have on occasion's thought something electrical was left powered on when Ive gone to bed & walked the whole house looking for it to not be able to find a thing?!
I reckon if we could capture all of those noises you all hear we could have another Top40 track on the go  ;D
" At least I now know why the world spins!"

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10 2015, 11:21 AM »
I think tinnitus tends to go hand in hand with hearing loss (the way I understand it is, the brain is expecting to hear things so when it doesn't it makes them up - helpful, isn't it?)  Do you have any substantial hearing loss Warren?  If not, then perhaps this is why you have escaped the tinnitus  :)

Incidentally, I asked the ENT about the light-sabre noise when moving my head, and he said he didn't know why that happened.  Sorry to disappoint!

Offline Rosemary

• Sometimes down but never out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10 2015, 01:04 PM »
Perhaps it it always wanted to be a Jedi knight! ;D. Swop you for a waterfall crossed with a boiling kettle? X

Offline Warren T

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11 2015, 04:17 PM »
Do you have any substantial hearing loss Warren?  If not, then perhaps this is why you have escaped the tinnitus  :)
No.... my Tinnitus is also very random & (gratefully) bearable...odd times its painful.
" At least I now know why the world spins!"

Offline ladar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11 2015, 05:27 PM »
I have two noises - one is a constant hissing like a gas tap left on and also pulsatile tinnitus where I can hear my heart beating in my ear (quite disconcerting when palpitations happen!). I also find that certain movements change the volume of it - if I put my head to one side it is quieter but when I stand up after sitting it gets very loud.  Strange but true!  I have it in just the left ear but occasionally get a high pitch whistle in the right

Linda