meniere

Author Topic: Tinnitus and concentration  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
Tinnitus and concentration
« on: May 04 2014, 04:26 PM »
I am currently revising for my exams towards the end of May, and I'm finding that after I've been concentrating for a while my tinnitus (and often ear fullness) increases until it seems like half my head is vibrating!  Does anyone else find this, and have you found anything that helps?  It makes it hard to get any knowledge to go in  :o

Offline Ashley

• View Profile
Re: Tinnitus and concentration
« Reply #1 on: May 04 2014, 05:06 PM »
Hi Nutty, I can certainly sympathise! There's no way I'd want to be revising for exams whilst dealing with MD symptoms.

I wonder if you've heard of/thought of a tinnitus masker? I don't know much about them but it might be worth googling it. Certainly, since getting my hearing aid, I have found that it helps with both the tinnitus and ear fullness. It seems to be all about fooling your brain, basically. The way it helps the tinnitus is that the constant sound of the open microphone kinda cancels out some of the tinnitus noise. The way it helps with the ear fullness is that with something stuffed into the ear (the hearing aid mould) the brain seems to adapt to that sensation and that seems to reduce the sensation of fullness from the MD. It's hard to explain but, my suggestion would be to perhaps try wearing an in-the-ear tinnitus masker, if there is such a thing??!

Hopefully someone who knows more will be along soon ;)

The very best of luck!
Ashley

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
Re: Tinnitus and concentration
« Reply #2 on: May 04 2014, 05:37 PM »
That sounds worth a try, thanks  :)  Certainly the best thing I've found for reducing the tinnitus is to stand with my head under the shower - the water pounding over it (and the noise from the shower which is an electric one) actually drown out the tinnitus, about the only thing that does. 

It's not massively pleasant at the moment, but short periods concentrating and rest in between seems to be the way to go.  Too much and my eyes stop pointing in the same direction so I have to stop  ::)