meniere

Author Topic: mysterious problems. Do I have menieres diease, my ENT is confused, please help  (Read 4230 times)

Offline bigwarrior

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am 28 years old male, healthy strong etc...had no physical issues so far.

For the past 5 months, one day it started. Right ear fullness, tinnitus I learned the word. It lasted for 2 days, like it would start mildly, progress to a peak point on the end of 1st day and then dissipiate...Everything would be back to normal by the end of 2nd day. Then I will have clean days for 3 days. Then it would return, on the 4th or 5th day approaximately, like a cycle. This went on for 2 months, like a cycle that did not fail.

But suddenly on the 3rd month, this completely went away for a whole month. Everything was fine. I thought that would be the end of it, since I did not have it for a month.

But after a month, I had a very stressful day at work, coworker drama etc. Then I could feel it coming back, slowly. Ever since that day, the cycle is repeating. Episodes for 2 days, clean days for 3 days, then again.

I can describe this as, Dalek's voice. Women and children voices would sound metallic, robotic.

I went to ENT, did MRI, initially the MRI came back as meningioma near the ear canal, but on the contrast, they confirmed there is nothing there, the first MRI was a mistake, artifact.

CT scan was normal as well. The ENT has absoltuely no idea what is causing it. He simply gave up. Hearing is normal, MRI, CT all normal.

I never had an episode of vertigo whatsoever, balance issue whatsoever. i could still lift heavy in the gym during my ear fullness.

However the ENT, disregarded my concern about Menieres disease. He said absolutely not, because I never had a vertigo episode.

But one thing I noticed is that, whenever I am having the ear fullness, I am very sleepy, kind of yawning all the time. My sleep cycle is not good, I only get about 6 or 7 hours of sleep, waking up in the middle of the night once in a while.

Can someone help me here, give me ideas what is causing it?

Is my ENT wrong, Do I have menieres disease? I am getting married next year, and I want to be sure I am fine before I get married. Please help.

Offline Emma

• View Profile
Hi and welcome. I began with this at 22 but the vertigo and hearing loss were my first tell tale signs. I hope this is just one of those random things and clears up and disappears for you very soon. It is hard to say it would be likely to be menieres without the hearing loss /vertigo so I hope not x
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline bigwarrior

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Thanks Emma. I hope I do not have meniere's diease. But it is what it is.

Right now, what are my chances that this could be related to TMJ. I recently came across a post about TMJ and I can relate to it very well. I have had many dreams, in which my jaws are locked, clenched, painful, like really painful, and my teeth break. I wake up, then find out it is just a dream, but the pain was real.

My jaws do make crackling noise when I open and close but I find it hard to believe jaws can cause ear fullness. Can it be?

Offline Emma

• View Profile
I know there are connections  when I am tense and clenching my jaw I find I am more susceptible to an attack so it may well be worth investigating further. You might have to wear a mouth guard in the nights but if it helps then it can only be a good thing :) x
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline Victoria

• Visitor
    • View Profile
I have MM for most of my life and recently I'd say the last 3 years I get the same thing, my ear gets clogged I can barely hear out of it but my voice and others voices sound like someone is banging against metal It usually goes away in about 1-3 days, each day getting less and less. I just chalked it up to a MM symptom since I am so used all kinds of strange things happening with my ears.

But it may be part of tinnitus and nothing to do with MM so I am not sure.
Here's a link that talks about all different sounds when one has tinnitus. It also lists causes, did you start a new drug? food allergy or sensitivity? etc etc
http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/tinnitus.htm

Offline bigwarrior

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Thanks Victoria.  I am not sure what you mean by MM. Can you describe what MM is?

How long have you had Tinnitus, and did it progress to a vertigo episode at any point? or did it start with a vertigo?

I am trying find out if I will get vertigo at some point because so far it did not happen.

Offline Victoria

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Thanks Victoria.  I am not sure what you mean by MM. Can you describe what MM is?

How long have you had Tinnitus, and did it progress to a vertigo episode at any point? or did it start with a vertigo?

I am trying find out if I will get vertigo at some point because so far it did not happen.

Oh sorry MM is a shortcut for Meniere's as MD is. I got Meniere's when I was 13 so I really don't remember. I had a major vertigo attack when I was 13 and it lasted for 2 weeks, the spinning lasted for hours but I couldn't lift my head off the bed for 2 weeks. It was a doozy. But since you have no balance issues or vertigo or hearing loss, it might just be tinnitus or an allergic reaction to something. Is the ringing high pitched or low pitched? When this happens write down what you have eaten or done a few hours before the tinnitus etc occurred, you might find the trigger.

Another thought you might look into getting allergy testing done. Ears feeling full is a common ear symptom of allergies. tinnitus can be caused by allergies too

Offline bigwarrior

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Hi Thanks for the response. The ringing is usually like low pitch humming ac machine. It's not loud or anything. I can't relate when ppl say roaring tinnitus. Mine sounds like when you put your palms close to your ear attempting to close it you hear a wind sound right?  Like the sound of the air condition when you close your car windows up.

Whoosing sound like mild to moderate. I can hear everything when this happens.  It doesn't m  mask the external sound but it distorts the sound. Women and kids voice will slightly echo and have a metallic tone.

This always happens when I'm stressed so much and that I can't even swallow. Like sometimes pressuring my skull kinda stress.  I'm planning on taking mediation classes.

But I'm very grateful to have found this site. I find you very courageous for taking mm lightly and feel for you that you went through this in such a young age. 

Thanks again.

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
I think it's unlikely that you will have a diagnosis of Meniere's if you don't have vertigo, as I understand it that is one of the main defining symptoms.  Mine started with ear fullness, tinnitus and hearing loss,together with dizziness and disorientation, but within 24 hours I had a crippling attack of vertigo that left me in bed or several hours and unable to move.

Try not to worry about it, and you may find you will sleep better.  Many people have tinnitus that is not a symptom of anything more sinister.  Go ahead and marry your sweetheart and don't worry about potential future health issues - none of us know what is around the corner, and it is a waste of a good day to worry that tomorrow might not be good.

Meditation sounds like a great idea  :)

Offline Trurzy

• View Profile
Big Warrior - Sorry it has taken me this long to post; I've not been on here very much as late.

I can completely relate to the dalek, robotic voices (particularly for more high pitched tones of women and children) - the kind of metallicky noise it made. It describes perfectly what I was having during one of my Menieres phases.

For me though I'd already had the other things too when it happened. My Menieres started as fullness and deafness, and I was a bit disorientated. It was initially diagnosed as an ear infection and I was sent away, but within a few days I had my first vertigo spell which left me throwing up and terrified. It carried on for a number of years and this distortion phase happened about 4 years laters.

I've always assumed that the metallic noises, voice distortion (and music distortion I had at the same time) was linked to Menieres hearing loss. So I'd be interested to know how you got on with your ENT if you don't mind sharing.

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
Has your ENT considered eustacian tube dysfunction ? If you have TMJ you will need to ask your dentist for confirmation or see the maxilla facial department at your hospital .
I agree with the others without the vertigo it can't be menieres and the tinnitus could be just stress and normal hearing loss .What sort of work do you do ?
Hope this helps x