meniere

Author Topic: Antivirus software - buy or not???  (Read 1464 times)

NEWOSA65

Antivirus software - buy or not???
« on: Jun 10 2014, 09:30 AM »
Hi folks,

Nothing to do with Menieres!!!!

PLEASE can i have your views on antivirus software???

My Mcafee  antivirus software is due to expire, i paid for total protection to help protect my online banking etc.,

I have since been told that the free antivirus software is just as effective - I have a number of friends who have the free version and use their online banking all the time with no problems?

Just wondering how many of you people use the free version?

Your views would be much appreciated??

Cheers.

Simon

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
Re: Antivirus software - buy or not???
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10 2014, 09:51 AM »
My husband is an IT professional and we use AVG free antivirus software if that helps?

Whatever you use you still have to be careful what you click on - don't open anything that looks dodgy (no emails promising you a fortune from the Nigerian lottery  ;)

NEWOSA65

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10 2014, 09:56 AM »
Do you use online banking etc? I sometimes think that the likes of Norton, Mcafee etc are one big money racket!  Thanks Fiona, will be in touch re the MD query... S

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10 2014, 10:25 AM »
Yep, internet banking, paypal etc (we live in the middle of nowhere so do most things on the 'net).  If you are really bothered about banking security you could always go to one of the banks that issue keypads (the sort you have to put your debit card into so that you can log in).  Although it's a bit of a pain in the derrière!

suzygirl

« Reply #4 on: Jun 10 2014, 04:54 PM »
We use free anti virus software, my hubby does it all. I think we use AVG as well.  We use internet banking and buy things over the internet etc.  Have never paid for anti virus software have even had free norton anti virus software!

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20 2014, 08:51 PM »
If you bank with Barclays you can have Kaspersky for free  ;D

Offline Warren T

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07 2014, 10:22 PM »
Most ISP's nowadays will offer you a AV with your service provider. You might get a better deal if you want to change supplier for 12 months & get a free AV in the pot too.
Else I use AVG FREE ... http://download.cnet.com/AVG-AntiVirus-Free-2014/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?part=dl-avg_free_us&subj=dl&tag=button
Be sure to collect FREE BASIC....on installation & un-check all of the rubbish on install.
" At least I now know why the world spins!"