meniere

Author Topic: Hearing test results, does this sound normal?  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
Hearing test results, does this sound normal?
« on: Jul 24 2014, 02:31 PM »
I have now seen a copy of the letter the ENT consultant wrote to my GP and the results of my hearing test (pure tone audiometry) were: mild loss in the low frequencies, moderate loss in the middle frequencies and severe loss in the high frequencies.

From what I had read, I was under the impression that Meniere's disease was characterised by low frequency hearing loss?  I no long hear low frequencies in my right ear, but that is because I am hearing everything about half to two thirds of an octave higher than it should be (so I can hear the low frequencies OK, but they sound higher).

Also, my hearing has been pretty much the same as this since after my first vertigo attack (which was by far the worst), not really any fluctuation.

Are there other conditions that can strike suddenly with severe vertigo, and then leave a permanent (so far after nearly nine months) hearing loss, tinnitus and balance problems?  Or am I still clutching at those famous straws!  ::)

Offline John59

• View Profile
Re: Hearing test results, does this sound normal?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25 2014, 01:22 PM »
My hearing fluctuates by the day so I wonder just how that impacts the hearing test results.
I was tested at ENT on a good day and came out classic MD which was high loss of low frequencies but medium and high frequencies ok.
I notice even on a good day if I block off my good ear I can't hear the birds singing out of my bad ear. This is a combination of the hearing loss and the buzzing interference.
It's good that your hearing does not seem to be deteriorating though, mine seems stable since I went onto Betahistine.
But yes you don't seem to be the classic MD hearing loss profile they look for in the diagnosis.   

Offline Ashley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25 2014, 01:27 PM »
Hi Nutty
Mmm….I've no idea what your results mean. As you say, not the classic MD profile. Worth asking your GP perhaps? I'm sorry you have the severe loss in the higher frequencies with the moderate loss at mid frequencies though. That must impact on your ability to hear speech clearly.
I definitely think it's worth asking about this though.
Take care
Ashley

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25 2014, 01:38 PM »
I have to go back to the ENT for another hearing test in six months, so I will ask him about it then I think.  Or maybe if I see the GP before then I could ask him, but I think the plan in that direction is "just keep taking the tablets".

I guess I was hoping there would be good hearing days!  On any day if I block off my good ear I can hear barely anything, it's actually comical in bed, because I lie on my left side, so my good ear is against the pillow - then I can't hear anything my husband says to me  ;D

I'm finding that as I have excellent hearing in my left ear, that in the absence of other noise I have no trouble following speech.  As soon as there is any other noise as well then it's quite hard though, so I guess our brains must listen to different things at the same time out of each ear, much more than we realise.  I also have a terrible time working out where sounds come from (I read that we determine the direction of sound using the slightly different pitch that we hear in each ear, like the doppler effect.  I guess if you are hearing things in one ear at the wrong pitch it makes sense that it would cause a problem with that).  I hate crossing roads for that reason!  Luckily it's not something I have to do on a daily basis, especially not during the summer.  If I go into town I take my husband and hold his hand!  8)

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24 2014, 06:58 PM »
My chart started off with the high frequencies being battered by MD and then it worked it way downwards through the frequencies till none are left in my left ear .It doesn't always show a low frequency loss .

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24 2014, 11:14 PM »
Hi Nutty

Mine started off the same as Elaine's did.

What you describe with your hearing is exactly the same as mine.  The only difference is I have deafness in my left ear and not my right. My hubbie and I often have a giggle about my deafness because I sleep on my right hand side so if my hubbie speaks to me I can't hear a thing!!!

I do have a bonus to being deaf in my left ear and sleeping on my right side because I do not hear the alarm clock when it goes off at 3.30am for my hubbie to get up for work!!! HOORAH!!!!

On a more serious note I am terrified of crossing the road now.  So much so I never cross a road without my husband. I really can not get to grips with what direction(s) all the cars are coming from and it scares the life out of me.

Take care

Jojo x

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28 2014, 02:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies, it's nice to know I'm not totally weird  :o

Jojo I totally understand where you are coming from!

Offline Warren T

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05 2014, 12:26 AM »
My tests so far have only been with a tuning fork bounced on the consultants elbow....
behind my left ear...OK
behind my right ear...OK
directly at my left ear...OK
directly at my right ear...OK
On top of my head...couldn't hear a thing!!

Banged it on a wooden table for a differing tone then on top of my head...couldn't hear a thing!!
Banged it on a metal shelf for a differing tone then on top of my head...now I could hear it!!

Is this normal ?!
" At least I now know why the world spins!"

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05 2014, 01:20 PM »
My GP did the tuning fork test, next to my right (bad) ear I could not hear it, behind my right ear I heard it in my left.  I don't remember him putting it on the top of my head though.

Don't know if that's any help?