Author Topic: DWP Benefits  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Ashley

• View Profile
DWP Benefits
« on: Aug 04 2014, 02:30 PM »
Ok, after submitting my ESA benefits application form for renewal in October 2013, I finally had the decision letter this morning (10 months later). I have been transferred out of the Work Related Group into the Support Group and awarded an extra 80 per month. Obviously, I was enormously relieved to be put into the Support Group, however, what seems rather unfair is that the benefit starts from now rather than October 2013 when I should have been awarded the benefit i.e. I have lost more than 800 of benefit which I was/am entitled to. Does anyone know if this is standard or if an appeal can be made?
Many thanks
Ashley

Offline Ashley

• View Profile
Re: DWP Benefits
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05 2014, 03:56 PM »
Just in case it helps anyone else, the citizens advice bureau let me know that the benefit won't be backdated.

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06 2014, 12:31 AM »
Hi Ashley

Glad you managed to get some advice from the CAB today!!

I was not sure of the answer when I read your post yesterday.  So I tried to find out through a friend of mine today. My friend has said that you can not actually appeal the higher payment date decision as such!! You can only appeal the outcome of the decision by the DWP in to what group they decide to place you in. i.e. either the Work related activity group or the Support group. That is where the appeals process comes in should you need it if you are unhappy and feel that you have been placed in to the incorrect group.

My friends suggestion is for you to ring the DWP and ask them about the payment side of things as they have made so many changes lately that she feels that nobody really knows when it comes to when an actual amount of payment comes in to force. If that makes any sense!!

In the meantime at least you are now in the Support group which means you will not be required to attend the Job Centre and be expected to start looking for work or start any training programme. 

She is going to e-mail me as soon as she manages to find anymore info on this to help you further!!!

Take care Jojo

Offline Ashley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06 2014, 09:37 AM »
Hi Jojo
Thank you so much for taking the time to do all that searching for me. That's very kind  :).

I was trying to think of what would happen if it had been the reverse i.e. I'd gone from the support group (SG) to the work group (WRAG) and obviously, then, I wouldn't want to be suddenly asked to pay back 10 months of additional benefit!

Ultimately, the relief of not thinking I have to be fit for work immediately is enough! Although the only thing asked of me in WRAG was to visit the allocated "adviser" once a month, it was psychologically stressful thinking that somehow I had to be fit for work asap. Thank goodness I can just concentrate on living now, if you see what I mean.

Thanks again Jojo
Ashley

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 06 2014, 05:10 PM »
Hello again Ashley

Can you just confirm a few things for me please ?

You sent your ESA50 back in October 2013. I've noted that!!

When you sent it back you were in the WRAG group of ESA at that time.  Have I got that correct ?

What month did you have your assessment (if you had one) ?

Now you have been moved to the Support group, are they saying that the payment increase starts from the date they actually moved you ?

Just need a bit of clarity on the above to make it clearer to my friend to try and find out when your money should actually increase!!!

Thanks Ashley

Jojo x

Offline Ashley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06 2014, 05:19 PM »
Hello again Ashley

Can you just confirm a few things for me please ?

You sent your ESA50 back in October 2013. I've noted that!!

Hi Jojo,
Yes, that's right. The renewal deadline was 4th October 2013.

When you sent it back you were in the WRAG group of ESA at that time.  Have I got that correct ?

Yes.

What month did you have your assessment (if you had one) ?

I didn't have one this time. The forms just went back in at the end of September 2013 and the next thing I heard was the letter this week saying my claim had been assessed and I was now in the Support Group.

Now you have been moved to the Support group, are they saying that the payment increase starts from the date they actually moved you ?

The start date for my "Support Group" status is from 30th July 2014 and that's when the increased in benefit starts from.

Just need a bit of clarity on the above to make it clearer to my friend to try and find out when your money should actually increase!!!

Thanks Ashley

Jojo x

It's me who should be thanking you ;).

The daft thing is that I submitted exactly the same forms and letters as previously when I was put into WRAG only this time I was deemed to be Support Group. Bonkers.
Thanks again
Ashley

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 06 2014, 11:11 PM »
Hello Ashley

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!!!

Yes I agree with your bonkers remark!!  But, it actually depends on which decision maker looks at your claim. This really and truly should not be the case because they have strict guidelines to go by. (Supposedly anyway)!!! It really should be the case that all of the decision makers are trained properly so each and every one of them should come to the same decision or there abouts, allowing room for some errors!!!

The decision maker that awarded you WRAG group is very likely not the same decision maker that awarded you Support Group. If you think about it Ashley you may well of included a little more information than you did in your previous ESA50 questionnaire or indeed described something a bit differently. Or maybe you letter was worded slightly different or maybe your medication has changed slightly. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason why claimants are moved.  I can assure you I have heard of this happening quite a lot!!! At least you are now in the Support group and as you say you can stop worrying and get on with living and managing your condition the best you can without the added stress!!!!!! 

Will let you know when I hear more.

Take care jojo x

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 07 2014, 01:51 PM »
Hello Ashley

Just another few quick questions if I may!!! Just that I have been asked!!!

When you were placed in the WRAG group was this the first time you ever claimed or was you placed in the WRAG group when you were transferred from the old Incapacity benefit????

Did you have a face to face assessment to be placed in the WRAG group or was it done on paper???

If you would prefer Ashley you could PM me if you would rather keep some details private.

Jojox

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08 2014, 11:26 PM »
Hi Ashley

Replied to your a PM.

Jojo x