Author Topic: Cranial nerve dysfunction  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
Cranial nerve dysfunction
« on: Oct 03 2014, 05:57 PM »
I'm not really sure where to put this question, so mods please move it to wherever you see fit.

This week I went to the opticians because for some months I have been suffering from double vision, and I thought I might need glasses.  To my surprise he told me that it wasn't a glasses issue, and that I have paralysis in the muscles controlling one of my eyes.  He wanted to send me straight round to the hospital, but for some unknown reason (me and my big mouth!) I told him that I'd already had an MRI that was clear earlier in the year.  So he just referred me on a less urgent basis (probably another six months' wait  ::) ).

Any case, as you do I came home and did some research, and it seems that the most common cause of eye muscle paralysis is a dysfunction of one of the cranial nerves (III, IV or VI).  Given that a dysfunction of CN XIII can cause vertigo, hearing loss and tinnitus and that both sets of symptoms have appeared at roughly the same time in my life, would it be a reasonable thought that it may be the nerve causing my ear symptoms and not Meniere's disease? 

As you can imagine I am worried that other nerves may start malfunctioning, and that the different departments in the hospital may not speak to each other and connect the two sets of symptoms.  Do you think a chat with my GP would be helpful?  I don't want to bother him if there's nothing he can do, but I would really like to talk to somebody who can set my mind at rest.

I've always been an extremely healthy person, and I find it very worrying to have odd symptoms that I don't know what the cause is.  Has anyone else had similar problems, or can offer any advice?

Offline Emma

• View Profile
Re: Cranial nerve dysfunction
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03 2014, 06:29 PM »
Hi, sorry I don't have any knowledge or experience but hope your referral comes through quickly and you can get some answers. As far as I am aware a lot of people are misdiagnosed with MD so it is a possibility.
Have you read if there is any treatment available for this if it is the case? Xx
Be happy - Keep smiling :-D

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03 2014, 07:23 PM »
I think it depends on the cause, which can be anything from high blood pressure or diabetes to tumours, strokes, aneurisms or MS (none of the latter I should have as they would have been picked up on the MRI).  I have been receiving treatment for high blood pressure for the last 15 years and as luck would have it I am due for my six monthly appointment with the nurse to have it checked so that will be covered.  I also have to take in a urine sample although I'm not sure what it is that she tests it for, I will definitely ask her though, hopefully the stick she puts in it would show up sugar.  The optician did tell me to get my blood pressure checked and have a test for diabetes so it will enable me to do as I'm told  ;D

I think I will see if the doctor will see me for a quick chat while I'm visiting the nurse.  It can't do any harm, and he might have some words of wisdom for me.

suzygirl

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03 2014, 09:08 PM »
I would defintely speak to my gp about this.  You may have had a clear MRI but your ENT will not have been looking for this possibility so your scan would like another look at possibly.  Each dept only looks for its own abnormalities. 

When you see the nurse and she checks your bp, the urine test will check for sugar.  ( I am diabetic ).  15 years is a long time to have high bp.  Does it run in the family? 

Funnily enough when I went to see an opthamologist about problems I was having with my eyes it turned out I was having double vision.  I didn't even realise, it was just hard to focus and see.  They said mine was down to the lupus, however I am wondering if mine was migraines as it seems to have improved on the migraine meds.

Anyway, speak to your gp soon and even phone the optician back up and ask him to speed the appt up.  Although your gp may be able to do this anyway.  It will put your mind at rest. 

Take care.

Offline Nuttyneddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03 2014, 09:33 PM »
I was hoping they might be able to have another look at the same MRI (saves everyone's time and money!) Perhaps that's what my brain was thinking when I mentioned it  :P  I did wonder if the ENT would just look at the ear part of the MRI, but if the eye docs can look at the eye part without me having another one that would be great.

High BP does run in my family, my mother has it and so did her mother. It's primary hypertension (no discernible cause) and has been well controlled by medication of different types (as fashions changed and I moved around the country to different GPs).  I also experimented with coming off the meds a few years ago and it went straight up so the underlying problem is still there.  Perhaps I described it wrongly - I have had *treatment* for high BP for 15 years, but it is effective so my BP is now normal.

My double vision is very apparent - If I look to the left to about 11 o'clock without moving my head it happens, and I can't turn right at a road junction and see left worth a damn (I am only just back behind the wheel on an experimental basis now uni is back after six months off driving, although following reading this forum I have sent off my forms to the DVLA). 

It's an interesting thought that it could be migraine related - maybe the whole thing is?  Perhaps I should ask the doctor what he thinks, because it would be a simple matter to try the migraine meds and see if everything cleared up.  Has your hearing/tinnitus improved since taking the migraine drugs Deb?

suzygirl

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04 2014, 11:05 AM »
I understood straight away where you were coming from with the MRI, its a trick I would try as well  ;D  I hate having them! lol

As for the bp and double vision they may well be linked, that must be really frustrating to be able to turn in certain directions and see double.

My double vision as such wasn't there all the time, it came on when my eyes were tired.  I haven't had that for ages which is why I think the migraine meds must have worked on that symptom, it used to drive me mad.  I just couldn't see properly and would have to go to bed and lie down to rest my eyes as its the only way I could cope with it.  Although I wasn't like that the day the opthamologist examined me, so maybe its different? 

Actually my hearing and tinnitus haven't improved on the migraine meds, I am still very deaf.  I do wonder  if I have MD and migraines.   As I get different symptoms, time will tell and I am in rush for more tests!

Let us know how you get on with your gp and see if he can speed your appt up.

Take care.

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04 2014, 01:06 PM »
If you've got issues with vestibular nerves a Brain stem Audio test would find out .My neuro sent me for one .
Hope this helps and you find out what's going on xx