meniere

Author Topic: Sodium content in food  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Alec

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Sodium content in food
« on: May 23 2003, 03:09 PM »
Sodium in Foods  :(

Dietary sodium is measured in milligrams (mg). The most common form of sodium used is table salt, which is 40% sodium. One teaspoon of table salt contains 2,300 milligrams of sodium.

Sodium in Processed Foods

Sodium is also added to various food products, both for taste and as a preservative. Thus, the more processed the food, the higher the sodium content is likely to be. Foods reconstituted with water (eg. soups, bouillon cubes, processed meats) also contain salt. Some of these added forms are monosodium glutamate, sodium nitrite, sodium saccharin, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and sodium benzoate.

Sodium in Fast Foods

Fast foods are generally very high in sodium. Another reason to eat in.

"Lower-Sodium" Foods

Fortunately, there is a growing range of lower-sodium foods in many food stores. Ideally, choose these lower-sodium brands whenever possible.

Table 1. Sodium Content of Selected Foods
Foods Sodium Content
mg per 100g or 3.5 ounces

Table salt 39,300 mg
Chicken bouillon cubes 16,300 mg
Soy sauce 7,120 mg
Minestrone soup, dry (pkt) 6,400 mg
Tomato soup, dry (pkt) 3,100 mg
Bacon, back, grilled 2,700 mg
Table salt 2,300 mg per teaspoon
Black bean sauce 2,150 mg
Smoked salmon 1,880 mg
Salami 1,800 mg
Pretzels 1,720 mg
Cornflakes 1,100 mg
Hard cheese 1,000 mg
Tortilla chips 850 mg
Potato chips 850 mg
Margarine (average) 800 mg
Butter regular, (average) 750 mg
Alec (forum Moderator)

Whenever I hear the term, 'let's go for a spin', it makes me cringe.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
Salt Intake
« Reply #1 on: May 24 2003, 02:24 PM »
What is the daily recommended daily intake of salt/sodium?
i have reduced my salt intake by having no salt on meals but light salting in the cooking, to give a little flavouring. I do fell less muzzy with this, but am concerned I still take too much salt.
Regards

Chris Scullion

The Longest Journey Starts With A Single Step.

Offline Alec

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Sodium content in food
« Reply #2 on: May 24 2003, 10:27 PM »
The average person takes in about 2400mg's of sodium each day. This is about 1 tea spoon of salt.  In fact it varies between 1100mg - 3300mg but 2400 is the average.

A low salt diet is 400mg - 1000mg, although most doctors tend to say try and reduce it to about 1000mg - 2000mg, that should help.

I am on about this now since keeping to a low salt diet is not easy. Go here to find out more.   ::)

http://oto.wustl.edu/men/sodium.htm
Alec (forum Moderator)

Offline Alec

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Sodium content in food
« Reply #3 on: May 27 2003, 10:23 AM »
Quite an interesting two page spread in the Dail Mail today, 27th May, about sodium in foods and how bad it is for everyone, not just MD sufferers.

I have been on a reduced salt diet for a few years now. To be honest, if you are sensible it can be achieved quite easily. obviously a low salt diet can be hard work because it does not take much to go over your target intake but a reduced diet is very achievable.

I don't add any salt to cooking anymore. My family do not complain and so they are on a healthier diet too. I don't have salt on the table unless someone asks for it. I then just avoid the obvious high salt foods like: canneds foods, fast foods, bacon, soups, sausages, pies, baked beans (I buy the low salt version), cornflakes etc. If you look at the sodium content on packets and tins you soon get to know which ones to avoid.  :D
Alec (forum Moderator)

Offline jackie

• View Profile
Sodium content in food
« Reply #4 on: May 27 2003, 10:44 AM »
Regarding soups I make a pan of my own and then mix it with a little tinned (1/3 to 1/2 tin) which makes almost a whole lunch - the home made variety lasts for some days if kept in the fridge.  It's easy as you just put in anything you fancy with regard to veggies - I have used mushrooms, asparagus as well as the usual staple of onions, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower etc.  It can be as varied as the person wants.
Best wishes
Jackie

Offline Alec

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Sodium content in food
« Reply #5 on: Jun 20 2003, 02:32 PM »
Mmmmmm, sounds nice, I must try that Jackie.  :D
Alec (forum Moderator)

Offline rosie

• View Profile
Sodium content in food
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07 2004, 06:56 PM »
For savoury foods I use fresh herbs, rather than salt, and i have stearted to make my own bread and rolls, so a bread maker is on my wish list :wink:
Rosie