meniere

Author Topic: Misdiagnosed - Adrenal fatigue not Menieres  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Pam

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Misdiagnosed - Adrenal fatigue not Menieres
« on: Mar 14 2015, 04:35 PM »
Hi

I have been meaning to post for a few months now. I just wanted to share my experience as I saw many doctors all of which diagnosed me with Menieres but my condition was actually Adrenal Fatigue  (currently not recognized by mainstream medics). My concern is there may be others out there like myself who do not have menieres but do infact have a moderate/severe case of Adrenal fatigue.  I promised myself I would post here even if this helps one person, it would be worth doing so.

I had all the symptoms of Ménière's disease, fullness of the ear, tinnitus, vomiting, dizziness, tiredness etc. I would have fullness in the ear, feel dizzy, vomit then have to lie down for an hour or so where I would often fall asleep wake up and feel better.  The only symptom I did not have (unsure if significant) is that the room did not spin in a rotational manner I just felt dizzy and if I moved my head I vommited. I found I could not tolerate carbohydrates or sugars as this would often bring on an attack.  Any stressful situation would cause an attack also.

It seems moderate/severe Adrenal fatigue can have symptoms very much like Menieres and it is possible to treat the adrenals and recover.  I removed gluten first and this is when my attacks stopped.  I eliminated sugar and dropped by carb consumption dramatically and added salt to my diet and increased my protein and I started to feel a lot better. I take supplements to support my adrenals eg. Vit C, multivitamins especially B vits, magnesium, adrenal cortex, fish oil.  It is interesting that a lot of the supplements recommended for Menieres overlap with those for Adrenal Fatigue.  Sleeping early by 10ish has been a great healer.  Carbs can be increased as the adrenals heal as you need good adrenal function to cope with carbs.  There is lots on the Internet on how to help adrenals and I urge anyone doubtful of their condition to check there symptoms and there is a saliva cortisol test you can do also.  If your blood pressure drops from sitting to standing this also can indicate Adrenal Fatigue.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone, if I have been misdiagnosed by reputable doctors others may well have too. 

Best wishes
Pam

Offline Warren T

• View Profile
" At least I now know why the world spins!"

Offline Elaine

• View Profile
Re: Misdiagnosed - Adrenal fatigue not Menieres
« Reply #2 on: May 29 2015, 08:08 PM »
Thanks for posting this Pam and the link Warren  :)
The term adrenal fatigue (used in the US mainly and not recognised over here ) is known as adrenal insufficiency here in the UK .As I understand it the adrenals can recover in the early stages if the source is stress and lifestyle but in the mid to late stages they have become damaged and it progresses to adrenal failure which needs medical intervention .I am currently seeing an endocrinologist as I believe I have insufficiency and this may explain why I am ok dizzywise when I'm stressed but the spins kick off when things are calm again i.e. when my cortisol levels have dropped and my adrenals are not being asked to produce it .Steroid treatment either oral or injections have helped my MD .