Author Topic: Accessing your Medical Records from your GP  (Read 2553 times)

Spinner

Accessing your Medical Records from your GP
« on: Apr 13 2015, 02:46 PM »
Has anyone on here tried to gain access to their medical records through their GP ?

NHS site seems fine, like its something we can all do no problem ...

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68

and yet when I dropped a letter requesting it they seemed all uppety and were saying that they might not give me access, it depends why I want it. I explained that the NHS site says that I don't even need to give a reason, the receptionist just grunted like a grunty thing and carried on trying to get rid of me lol.

Anyway, I did put a reason in my letter, simply that I want to go private and want to take my data with me. The fact that I'm a neurotic psychotic psychopath who obsesses about even the smallest gnat bite has got nothing to do with it whatsoever ;)

:)

I'd like to know if anyone has done this and how they were allowed access - e.g. on a computer or paper only etc? The pricing for these requests seems to cover reading it on a computer or having printouts, and yet the receptionist say it doesn't work like that. And then refused to tell me how it does work ! We'll write to you in due course Sir ...

suzygirl

Re: Accessing your Medical Records from your GP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13 2015, 05:18 PM »
I went for a private consultation and was given a copy a my 'relevant' medical info.  To get that info took I am embarrassed to say 2 phonecalls from my dad and I am 43  :-[   The gp just did not want me to either go private or have the necessary data.  To my disgust when I got my private diagnosis the good old NHS then refused to acknowledge it saying that I had 'paid' for it so they would say what I wanted them to say!  :o   8 years later they finally gave in and diagnosed me with the same condition I have to add.

I have also heard of people having to pay £50 for their medical records, the mind boggles it really does. 

Offline dmj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13 2015, 05:48 PM »
I don't have any experience but if your GP practice has a practice manager it might be worth contacting them.

dorothy

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13 2015, 06:03 PM »
The delay and cost may relate to the admin needed. No-on can have immediate and unfettered access to their records as there may be confidential 3rd party information in them which would put people at risk if the patient read them. eg a social worker may have telephoned with info relating to child protection issues, or the doctor may have attended a case conference which had confidential police intel in it. It needs an admin process to sort out what can be read/printed and I guess they are reluctant to spend time doing that . Its the same in Social Sevices, police, prisons, probation etc Whilst one can understand the delay, if the policy says you have the right , then no surgery should impede or deny that
Chrissieg

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13 2015, 07:14 PM »
I asked to see my records a while back in order to produce a timeline of my MD history.  I was allowed to view the paper records at the surgery and make notes.  There was no charge.

Offline judym

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14 2015, 01:10 AM »
It certainly is a confusing world. When I moved house and gave name of new GP to old GP, in theory the records are electronically transferred. In reality, after 3 months, nothing had happened. Fortunately new GP was willing to prescribe essential drugs from an old prescription, without knowing anything about me. I volunteered to go and collect records (to make life easy!) and was told I was not allowed! In the end several phone calls to old GP elicited a fax number and records moved.
In ?NZ patient has a memory stick and is responsible for keeping their own records. Any time you see a doctor, anywhere in the world, you have all info with you. Seems a good idea - getting over privacy issues - but catastrophic if you lose without backup! It would surely save the NHS shedloads of money. I can't believe that in 2015, an OP appointment can be wasted because they can't find your paper file (it happened to me - £60 of cab fares wasted!)

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14 2015, 07:49 PM »
I was at my GPs today.  There was a poster on the wall saying that you could access your medical records via Patient Access on tinternet.  I thought what is that Spinner on about.

I tried it.  It did not give said access, merely a list of my current medications.  It sounded too good to be true, and indeed it was!

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 16 2015, 08:00 PM »
You’ve got to haggle Spins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA

Offline bhavv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12 2015, 08:53 AM »
I might want to access my medical records for a possible lawsuit for medical neglect from the NHS -

- I had one GP accuse me of smoking weed due to complaining about excessive fatigue / drowsiness.

- 2+ years of flat out refusal to prescribe me modafinil.

- 2+ years of waiting to be referred to a psychologist for mental health reasons, only to get an appointment with someone who told me 'this service we offer doesn't have any psychiatrists or psychologists, just CBT. And 2+ years of waiting for CBT which I still haven't got yet.

- 2 referrals to NHS for a long term knee and wrist sprain around about 2 years ago to, no appointment letters sent.

I'm trying to start working again, and particularly if I have problems with the above after I start working I'm considering legal action.

Offline Dizzy Hoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14 2015, 01:51 PM »
This is kind of related to access to patient notes.  You can ask your consultant to copy you into all correspondence back to your GP.  I find that the consultant usually agrees to this and then promptly forgets, but if you phone their secretary they will make a note of your request and all future letters will also be copied to you.  You can also make a written request to the hospital for your records.  Sometimes this is easier as they are the authors of reports etc.  Sometimes if you ask GPs for your records what you will get is letters GPs have written (usually referral letters so not as helpful as consultants letters back to GP) and their appointment records as technically they should ask the author of the report, letter etc for permission to share that information. 
Hope no one one this formum is a GP receptionist or is related to one but I have to say they are like do like to think they have all the answers.  You are entitled to see your records, these days with mainly electronic records it is not always so easy to provide computer access to the public and also (unbelievably) not so easy to print off easily legible electronic records.

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19 2015, 11:16 PM »
I always ask for a copy of clinic letters when I got for hospital appointments - some send them automatically and some don't .Years ago I asked for copies of letters from my GP as I needed them to support my DWP claims .My GP had failed to fill in the forms sent to him correctly so I had to send in as much stuff as possible.I went to pick them up and they tried to charge me £34 .I refused to pay telling them I wouldn't need them if my GP had filled in the forms they sent him properly .They didn't charge me  ;)