Author Topic: Depression  (Read 1226 times)

Offline talialew

• View Profile
Depression
« on: Jun 21 2015, 11:50 PM »
Hi All
I am 18, and was diagnosed with MD a couple of years ago. I have been struggling with it alot recently, aswell as issues with college, and general stress.
The last 6 months or so have been particularly difficult, and I have been feeling really low and not been sleeping. Tbh its scaring me.I'm sure I have depression but am scared of what will happen if I go to the GP. I havn't told anyone apart from friend about it who has experienced various mental illness, and he has been talking to me about it and has been incredibly helpful, but I know I need help. I don't really want antidepressants as my sister had them and said they made her feel numb, and that was worse then being low.
I don't really know why I am posting on here, I guess it just helps to get it out.
Hannah

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22 2015, 02:13 PM »
Hi Talialew

It is good that you have posted on here so don't worry about that!!  The best advice I can really give is to say do go and see your doctor.  They are really sympathetic with Depression/Anxiety. 

Once you have chatted with your doctor you might find that it is more anxiety and not depression.  I too suffer with anxiety associated with my MD.  So I do know what it is like.  You are not alone with suffering from it as there are many MD sufferers that suffer with it too as well as depression.

If you have anxiety and are worrying about things this often stops you sleeping and when you start to get over tired then your mood will drop.  To be honest it is a vicious circle.  And this vicious circle can be treated.

Medication for anxiety that suits one person may not suit another.  Even though you sister has had medication that maybe did not suit her it does not mean that they will not suit you!!  There are various medications for anxiety and depression so if one does not suit there is always another to try.

Some times just talking to your doctor helps.  I know what I first suffered from anxiety I was worried about going to see my doctor.  But, I should not have been worried.  When I came out of her surgery that day I felt so much brighter in myself and felt that the weight had been lifted off my shoulders.  I still had medication to take and indeed I still take it now!!  The first one I tried made me too drowsy so I went back to see my doctor and was prescribed a different one and that one works for me. I take one tablet at night.  You may feel a little drowsy initially but after a couple of weeks this wears off!!

There is no need to suffer with this.  Talking to a friend will help but talking to your doctor will help too!! Why not give it a try!!!! Even if you just go for a friendly chat about how you are feeling at the moment.

Let me know how you get on!!! Please make the appointment, it honestly will help!!!

Take care

Jojox

Offline talialew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23 2015, 12:41 AM »
Thanks for replying Jo. I guess its hard to bring myself to make an appointment, as it makes it real, and it means I have to accept it.

I know I need to prioritise my health, but I am worried about what will happen. The last 3 or 4 years have been hard health wise, not just with my ears, but various other things, and I have had 4 operations in as many years. I just want to be able to concentrate on something other than my health. I should be going out with friends, and doing stupid things, not sitting at home whilst everything is spinning. Most of my friends, who I have relied on for support over the last 5 years are off to university in September which is also making me worried.  :'(

I have another year at college, doing a course I am not enjoying, and then will hopefully be off to university, or maybe taking a gap year before university. I am trying to concentrate on the future, as that is what I am looking forward to but it all feels out of reach at the moment.

Sorry for ranting, it's hard to stop once I start!

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14 2015, 03:39 PM »
Hi Hannah,

I have just come across your post.

Hopefully you are enjoying a short break from your studies and getting a chance to relax and enjoy yourself. Whilst you may not be enjoying your course, stay with and work hard.Good grades at the end will help you choose what to do next.Take the time to try and find a university course that will excite you and give you something to look forward too.My daughter got good grades and was accepted to a top university,but the course wasn't quite what she wanted. So she instead chose another one as the course sounded more interesting. Take your time,go to the open days and explore the many courses available. Universities are very geared up to helping people with disabilities and illness. The chance to make new friends and enjoy student life is something very much to look forward too.

My daughter is just finishing a gap year where she took a break from studies,got a job to help towards the cost of going to uni. She is very excited about starting uni.Many of her friends went straight to uni and have had a great time. The choice of a gap year is very much about what you want to do.

Anxiety and depression is very much part of having a chronic illness and in your case a hearing disability too.I am sure that everyone on this site has experienced this at sometime. Normally in the beginning. you are only young and MUST use other people (Friends,parents and doctors) to help you through this.

MD is NOT a Forever illness and in time life will get better,but use your support team to help you.The use of anti depressant can and will help you together with some Cognitive Behaviour therapy WILL help you too. Ask your doctor to refer you. It is all about not focusing on negative thoughts and coping strategies to help you through difficult situations.

Above all take the time to enjoy the good days and accept that some days will not be so good. Try and do something each day that YOU enjoy and Plan at least one thing each week that gives you something to look forward too.

I wish you luck and I hope that things are a little better now, Sorry I took so long to respond. I have been through all of this the MD (which looks like it is now gone) the ear problems (with Deafness in both ears) The anxiety and depression and an 18 year old daughter going to uni. So if you want to contact me again please feel free to do so either by using this post,by personnel message or by e mail harrywithmd@gmail.com I am very happy to try and help you.

Regards

Harry