Author Topic: "Low risk"  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
"Low risk"
« on: Jul 12 2015, 01:02 PM »
Hi All

I've not visited here or posted much for the past few years, sorry. But I do want to report on my visit to the consultant yesterday. It was great news, because my hearing has now been stable for three years (the readings from the hearing test were identical to those from three years ago). The tinnitus comes and goes but I can ignore it most of the time. Best of all, I have had very little vertigo since 2011, apart from a couple of brief episodes which were attributable to other factors (e.g. change of statin medication).

This led my consultant to declare me "low risk" for any further occurrences of MD. In his opinion, it has now burnt itself out. He is convinced (as am I) that the conservative gentamicin treatment I underwent in 2010 was the right thing to do. It was non-destructive of what hearing I have left in my right ear and, after a few months of wobbliness, removed the vertigo.

I am happy to be so stable nowadays, and often think how wonderful it is to be able to function again. My confidence has improved, and I feel that I am leading a normal life, albeit with hearing loss and tinnitus. I do a lot of travelling and have a pretty high pressure job. I never completely forget that I have MD, and am always fearful of its return, but as the years go by that fear is receding.

I offer this report to anyone who is feeling that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. MD is not curable, of course, and everyone's experiences are different. But I, at least, have received a treatment that works, and I do believe that new treatments are being developed as I write. There is always hope!

Best wishes
Andrew

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: "Low risk"
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12 2015, 03:23 PM »
Hi Andrew

Thank you for posting and letting us know how you are getting on!!

Great news from your consultant!!  You must feel rather relieved now!!

So glad that your confidence has come back. Letting others know about the confidence side of things will give them hope that theirs will return one day too!!

I wish you well and all the very best in life!!!

Jojox

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13 2015, 10:13 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for you post.  It is nice to hear that there is light at the end of our wobbly tunnels.  I am glad you have managed to get to a stage where MD has little impact on your life.

I live in hope.

:D
MissCheeva

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14 2015, 07:11 PM »
Thanks Jojo - yes, I do feel very relieved!

MissCheeva - I hope all goes well for you.

The very best to both of you.

Andrew

Offline NEWOSA65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15 2015, 01:53 PM »
Just calling by, well done Andrew... I am happy to know that things are now good for you.  (NEWOSA65)

Offline Elaine

• Standard User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18 2015, 06:57 PM »
Well done Andrew !

Offline judym

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19 2015, 08:05 PM »
Brilliant news - so pleased for you. There may be light at then end of the tunnel for more of us