meniere

Author Topic: would prochlorperazine help with ear pressure ?  (Read 3335 times)

Offline DJ

• View Profile
would prochlorperazine help with ear pressure ?
« on: Aug 27 2015, 08:55 PM »
I just can't get rid of this awful ear pressure I am sure it is making the tinnitus worse. I was wondering if prochlorperazine would help to reduce the feeling of ear pressure. I use it when I have a spin to combat the nausea. I also wondered if migraine medication would help with the ear pressure I have Zomig.  I am tempted to go through the medicine cabinet and see if anything helps. I just long for some peace. Then I read what a lot of you are having to deal with and I feel very selfish and pathetic and I just need to get a grip. Any suggestions would be great. I have a few other health things including chronic pain which is harder to deal with when this wretched roaring just keeps going. I also think the pain control medication I have does not always help with this part. I guess I should just try a few things and see what helps so why have I really done this post - I think I just needed somewhere safe to say I am finding this hard to handle just now. No one need reply as just pressing post and sharing how I feel with someone is enough. Thank you

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: would prochlorperazine help with ear pressure ?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27 2015, 10:27 PM »
Hi Hotkiln

I am sorry you are feeling so rough at the moment.

As you already know from our messages that I do fully understand how you feel.  Like you I find it very difficult having to deal with Menieres and having other medical conditions with chronic pain also.  I am convinced that it makes MD harder to deal with because there is already so much going on with us.  There are others on the forum that this is happening too.

Glad you have posted because I think with help and support from others in the same position or similar situations makes you feel that you are not alone with it all.

I have the ear pressure constantly.  Sometimes worse than others but it never goes completely and like you the roaring Tinnitus. I know what a nightmare it can be so I fully sympathise with you on that front.

Not sure on what meds to try though.  Maybe pop back and have a chat with your doctor and see what they suggest.  I am on Betahistine and use the sickness one for when I have a spin or nauseous. But, I don't take anything else unless I have Migraine and then I have to take Migrlieve, but when I take that I have to stop my Co Codomol pain relief.  Can't win on that side of things. I hope someone else will be able to give you some help on the meds side of things.

You are definitely not alone.  Keep posting!!!

Love

Jojox

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28 2015, 08:29 AM »
Hi Hotkiln

Some meds are called "ototoxic" and exacerbate any ear conditions. Ibuprofen and Diclofenac are two of those. Not sure what pain relief you are taking but may be worth checking if they are ototoxic as that would encourage tinnitus and pressure.

Regards
Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline DJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28 2015, 07:26 PM »
Thank you Jo Jo and Chrissie x
I got some work done today so feel I have achieved something. My students start again in a weeks time so am going to give myself lots of extra time to get things ready. I am going to stop fretting about if I will be okay as this is how it is and what will be will be so I'm not going to pile stress on worrying about what might not happen. I think there will come a time though when I have to warn students that I have a few health hiccups and might have to rearrange or refund but I don't want to do that yet although it might help me be a bit more relaxed about it.

I had an MRI back in June on my head as I had collapsed without warning and badly damaged my shoulder and was covered in bruises as I had just dropped.They wanted to check it had not been a stroke or bleed. It came back negative however my ear and balance and tinnitus and pressure all came back whilst I was having the MRI. At first I was just a bit disorientated but by the time I got home all the old stuff came back. I have since seen my GP and told her how bad it is again and she has made an appointment to see the ENT but the appointment is not until November. When I last saw them they said I might have the beginnings of MD but didn't want to diagnose that until it developed more. Both my Mother and brother have it and now have very little hearing.  Right best get off this and get back to work in my studio. Thanks again for listening

Offline NEWOSA65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28 2015, 09:44 PM »
Hi, stemetil benefits all types of ear problems and may help with your fullness.  However, Menieres is supposed to be linked with excess fluid in the inner ear which then causes the feelings of pressure and fullness. So, I am unsure if the stemetil would help or cinnarizine, which works in a similar way. Both act as a vestibular sedative (Prochlorperazine works by blocking the effects of dopamine which acts on the nervous system in the brain).  Tbh, I'd say the water tablets may work better than the above meds.... other thoughts would be the right type of pain killer which as Chrissie mentions excudes a few including aspirin which is also not good to take.  Basic paracetomal is fine though.  Only other option would be the sac op which may well fix the feelings of fullness (sadly of little value for vertigo control in most sufferers).  I had the sac op in 2006 - my attacks continued after 9 months of having the surgery but I have had no feelings of fullness ever since.  Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Simon

Offline DJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09 2015, 11:02 AM »
I have kept off my pain medication now for a week - dihydrocodeine/tramadol both of which I never take on a regular basis as I don't want to get hooked on them and also at a much lower dose than I can have and not together.  At times its a toss up between can I cope with less pain relief and work or will the pain stop me working, or a higher dose and side effects stop me working !!! I use paracetamol regularly and take 20mg amitriptyline at night as that is meant to help with nerve pain but I can go much higher if I want but don't want to. I have gabapentine - (can't spell it) in the drawer but that will only be started if I am in a really really can't manage bad pain patch and not used for over a year although I have wanted to at times but can't face its side effects.

Not using the pain stuff for a week had made no difference to the tinnitus and fullness ear throat and neck pain and have had to do less because of the lack of pain control for the rest of the 'stuff'. I think the tinnitus is just making all the 'stuff' feel much worse than perhaps it is as its interfering with my coping skills.

I am going to try 2 things - get some music on my phone and wear a earphone and see if some constant background sound will help and the other which will not be welcomed by everyone is to sing - I can't sing ! but I have tried it a bit this morning and I need a bit of experimenting with sounds. If I find that works I could gain a few nicknames but who cares.

Any other suggestions would be welcome, I do think my hearing is beginning to get affected but maybe when the roar goes it will come back. Right lets start the warbling and see what happens, any one in ear shot move further away :)

Offline Dizzy Hoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10 2015, 08:50 PM »
Sorry this is a late post but you talked about listening to music on headphones to help with your tinnitus.  There are various apps that have a wide range of background/white noises.  I don't know about you but I gave up listenning to music a long time ago as I just can't tolerate the noise.  I find white noise a good compromise which helps filter/distract from the tinnitus.