meniere

Author Topic: Tinnitus and Betahistine  (Read 4954 times)

Offline sylvespa

• View Profile
Tinnitus and Betahistine
« on: Oct 09 2015, 04:34 AM »
Hi,

I've been taking Betahistine, 16mg, three times a day and this has certainly started to help with the number of attacks I've been having; however, my tinnitus is becoming more troublesome. 

It's on my left side and is very very loud and increases in volume prior to an attack and then lessens just afterwards. My head also feels very 'stuffed' and 'dense' (the only way I can describe it!).

Can anyone tell me if this is normal, as I was expecting the Betahistine to have an positive, not negative impact on my tinnitus.

Does Betahistine only work on reducing the severity of the vertigo?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline jojo

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Tinnitus and Betahistine
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09 2015, 10:12 PM »
Hi Paul

In my experience the Betahistine has only lessened the vertigo.  It has not done anything to help with my Tinnitus at all that is raging in my left ear all the time and is slightly lower in tone in my right ear.

Like you my head feels stuffed and dense.  I know what you mean about it being hard to describe. It is fullness that most with MD get sadly.  I find that side of MD really difficult to deal with because my fullness rarely changes.  Feels as though I have a head cold all the time. Its like having a head full of cotton wool.

I hope that is of some help.

Jojox

Offline sylvespa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10 2015, 06:52 AM »
Hi Jojo,

That makes absolutely sense to me and having only started to suffer from this terrible disease a couple of months ago it also gives me a massive sense of relief that what I'm experiencing is real and not all in my imagination. 

The way you described how you feel mirrored my feelings exactly.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

This site is certainly starting to make me feel less isolated thanks to people like you.

BW
Paul

Offline asiaasia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17 2015, 06:02 AM »
When my tinnitus starts to get noticeable (loud), I add a Xanax (0.25mg) or a Clonazepam (0.5mg) tablet to me regimen (SERC 32mg - 3x/day) and that usually brings the noise level back down.

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18 2016, 11:34 AM »
HI Sylvespa,

I am on Betahistine and it does help with my vertigo, but recently I have noticed that it isn't helping with my tinnitus.  I used to think that it did, but I guess I was just lucky that my tinnitus had gone away for a while.  Oh well reduced vertigo attacks is good so I will take that and just be happy with it.

Sorry it took me so long to post.
:D

Offline sylvespa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18 2016, 01:17 PM »
Thanks MissCheeva,

I'm now on 144mg a day (taken as 48mg 3x a day) and my vertigo gas definitely diminished to a certain degree.  I wear bilateral hearing aids which I've recently had changed and now wear larger ear moulds which seem to be helping to block sine of my tinitus.  I'm now waiting to start vestibular rehab to help with my unilateral loss of balance so the NY seems to be heading in the right direction, fingers crossed!!

BW
Paul

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20 2016, 01:25 PM »
Hi Paul,

I was wondering if hearings aids might help me.  My hearing and tinnitus in my right ear is awful and over christmas I have started to get tinnitus in my left ear too.  It has been so bad I have been going to lip reading classes and learning a bit of signing too.  My hearing fluctuates so I have good and bad days.  Do you?  How does this work with a hearing aid?  Someone told me that they are designed to work at one setting and if hearing fluctuates you can't wear them.  I am yet to get my appointment through for ENT, but when I go next I will discuss this with them.

MissCheeva

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20 2016, 02:12 PM »
You would get a hearing aid with a volume control to increase/decrease sound as and when required.For normal (getting old or problem with ear ) type hearing loss the is no volume control reqd.

MD and hearing aids are a very difficult match as with a fluctuating hearing loss it is very difficult to set up correctly as the hearing changes so much (not just the sound level) ie. the type of sound quality changes as it is cochlea related rather than ear drum/middle ear related.

It also depends on whether you are bi lateral or not as you can normally cope very well with one good ear and a little loss of hearing in the other.

Often people with just MD hearing loss prefer to go with no hearing aid until and if the hearing loss is too bad to be able to cope as it is affecting both ears. Many people with MD will not suffer a hearing loss that will mean that a hearing aid is required (unless both ears are affected?)

Offline Spinning Top

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20 2016, 03:17 PM »
Hi Paul,

I just started Betahistine and have only been taking it for about 2 weeks. My consultant said that it will reduce the number of attacks I have, space them out, and that its of no use when I have an attack of vertigo. Then I should take my normal vertigo medication; Cinnarizine and Prochlorperazine.

The feeling of a stuffed fuzzy ear is awful. Its because of a build up of fluid and pressure (which behistine is suppose to reduce). When it's bad I get ear ache and face ache on the left side, just like you do when you've got a bad cold. I had my last attack of vertigo in December and this fullness has been really bad. I had acupuncture treatment for my back, shoulders and neck and it helped relieve the pressure and fuzziness in my ear! I don't know if its a coincidence but its the only different thing that I have done aside from taking betahistine for two weeks. The relief and decrease in the fullness happened on the days of treatment. I spoke to my acupuncturist about this and she said that the muscles she had treated around the shoulder and neck branch out to the ear and brain and that although she hadn't treated my ear it 'could have' helped. Maybe you could look into acupuncture for those really bad days? It does work out expensive at 45-35 a session but sometimes its well worth it. I'm hoping the ear will remain at its current level of fuzziness, which is bearable, and not increase.

Spinning Top

Offline Spinning Top

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20 2016, 03:25 PM »
Miss Cheva sorry to hear about your difficulties,

Reading about the gradual deterioration in hearing really scares me. Was it a decision you made yourself, to join lip reading and sign classes or advised by a consultant? During my first consultation, just a couple of weeks ago, I asked if this was a progressive disease and the consultant said, I don't want you to away with that and hat the disease varies. Reading here has given me more answers than him!
I hope things ease up a for you :)

Spinning Top

Offline sylvespa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20 2016, 04:25 PM »
Hi All,

Harry is correct.  I have bilateral hearing aids fitted with a volume control and set with a tinitus masker, both of which help a great deal.  I started wearing my hearing aids long before significant MD symptoms developed so was already used to wearing them.

I'm also taking 144mg of Serc a day which is also helping to reduce the frequency of attacks and am hoping to start vestibular rehab in February.

I really couldn't get by without my hearing aids now and wear then from getting up to going to bed without any significant issues.  The only gripe I have is when my left ear (that's my affected ear) gets 'full' it's slightly worse with the hearing aid in, however a slight increase in volume tends to counteract that problem.

I'm also thinking of going to sign classes to help.

BW
Paul

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20 2016, 04:55 PM »
Hi Spinning top

My understanding is hearing loss associated with MD is about 30 -40db some people will go lower in the low frequencies and some people will not have much of a hearing loss at all. This level of loss is considered to be a moderate loss and would benefit from a hearing aid but would not be low enough for you to need to sign. lip reading would become natural to you but not essential to survive.

Obviously if it moves to both ears that makes it worse but again you would get by.

Hearing aids work well up to about a 110 db loss then life becomes a bit tricky and you would lip read and probably learning to sign would help.

I had a hearing loss of about 50db before MD in both ears and now have a loss of 70-90db in one ear (which has bad distortion can no longer use a hearing aid) and a loss of about 50 - 90 db in the other. I use a hearing aid in that ear.

I lip read a lot but learnt that over a period of years with poor hearing. But I don't need to sign.

The likelihood of anyone having such poor hearing due to Meniere's that they would need to sign to communicate is very low.

Having said that learning a new skill and being able to communicate with the deaf community would be a wonderful thing.

Many new people to MD fear the loss of hearing. Yes it will go down. Yes it may make life a bit more difficult. BUT no you won't go deaf to the point that life becomes very difficult UNLESS  you already have a moderate to severe hearing loss.

Harry

Offline Spinning Top

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20 2016, 10:51 PM »
Thank you for the information Harry. I take it your hearing loss is not all due to MD?

Are you guys (on this thread) all from the UK? I'm from Yorkshire.

Offline sylvespa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21 2016, 07:29 AM »
Hi Spinning top,

Yes, I'm from Cornwall, near Lands End.  Had to stop driving in Seotember last year and surrendered my licence finally in December so now have a disabled bus pass from the council.  Let me tell you, getting around on the bus down here is somewhat challenging!!  I'm looking forward to being symptom free in a couple of months and being able to drive again!

Paul

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21 2016, 01:02 PM »
Hi,

Spinning Top: My hearing has only recently got worse (before Christmas).  I decided to do the lip reading classes off my own back as I was getting rather panicky and scared and having my hearing degrade so quickly.  Please do note that previously my hearing has always come back, this is the longest I have gone with it not returning (hence my panic).  I just felt that doing the lip reading classes and learning some signing made me feel more in control and less helpless.  The signing is just something I am doing with the kids at home, it makes it more fun and helps them to understand that sometimes Mummy can't hear them. 

I have to say that the lip reading classes have been great and the people there are lovely.  It has really helped me feel less alone in this whole thing.

Harry and Paul:  Thank you for your information on hearing aids it is been really enlightening.  I was fretting about them not being able to do anything.  Now I just need that ENT appointment.

Many thanks
Diana

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21 2016, 01:24 PM »
Hi Spinning top.

I have had  hearing problems since childhood long before MD. I had had a number of operations including replacing both ear drums non of which have anything to do with MD symptoms. In fact the ENT consultant has said that he would not consider any MD related surgery due to my existing poor hearing and damaged ears.

So I have very poor hearing but manage to get by ok, Although I can no longer work.

Miss Cheeva

Do not fear hearing aids or the fact that your hearing will go down you will be ok. You will however need to give yourself time to adapt to the hearing aid as it takes time for the brain to get used to a slightly different type of sound. You will probably need to go back and get it adjusted a couple of times till it's ok.

Harry