Author Topic: Steroid injections  (Read 888 times)

Offline sylvespa

• View Profile
Steroid injections
« on: May 23 2017, 11:26 PM »
Hi everyone,

Looking for advice. 

I went along to see my Consultant for steroid injects in both my ears this morning.  Mr Rea at Leicester diagnosed me Bilateral last November and advised my Consultant to start with the injections before I consider surgery under Mr Rea.

Anyway, I went today, they started with my right ear, least affected one and once the solution with injected I suffered the most intense pain. I actually thought the Consultant had administered the injection incorrectly or I was having a stroke.  The pain and pressure were absolutely intense.  This went on for nearly an hour before it began to ease. I spent nearly 4 hours at the hospital.

It was so severe my Consultant decided not to do the left ear and has arranged for me to go back in two weeks for the left doing and then two further appointments, two weeks apart, for the second course of injections.

My question is has anyone on here had a similar experience?  It was a total shock to me to feel so much pain.

I am left with a numb tongue and poor hearing in the right ear since I had the injection nearly 12 hours ago.

Would welcome any thoughts.
Thanks,
Paul

Offline Gatzby

• View Profile
Re: Steroid injections
« Reply #1 on: May 24 2017, 12:47 PM »
What steroid did you have injected ?
God is a figment of the imagination according to Stephen Hawking and I agree with him.

Offline dmj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24 2017, 01:04 PM »
hello paul

I have had both steroid and gentamicin injections through both a grommet and t-tube.    I have had both dexamethasone (sp?) and solumedrol (sp?) steroid injections.   The dexamethasone was a bit uncomfortable but didn't bother me that much.   I found the solumedrol injection quite painful and I was very surprised by that as I was not expecting it.    I found the discomfort had gone by the next day.

If you don't have a grommet or t-tube that could be why you found it so painful.    I think it is expected that after your injection your tinnitus might be louder for a week or so and also your hearing might be affected.   I luckily don't have much hearing loss so the loss of hearing did not impact on me much and it certainly improved back to post injections levels but it took a week or two.

If you feel your ear is infected or you have any discharge or anything then I think you need to get that checked out.

Offline sylvespa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24 2017, 01:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply dmj that's really helpful.  Gatzby I had solumedrol directly injected, not through a grommitt, which may be the reason it was so uncomfortable and painful.  The pain has settled now, 24 hours post procedure but I have a numb tongue on one side which is rather annoying!!

I'm back again in two weeks for the next lot and not looking forward to it at all, although the consultant did say he would reduce the dose and also add lidocaine.

Offline dmj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24 2017, 01:23 PM »
I thought they would have used an anaesthetic before the injection, so you should definitely check the next time.   I found solumedrol painful but you shouldn't be in a lot of pain.    On the plus side I really think the solumedrol has helped so I hope you find the same.

Offline Gatzby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24 2017, 04:26 PM »
Ok Paul, I've had Dexamethasone in my right ear and it worked a treat but only for about three weeks. I had my injections under general anaesthetic and via a grommet and not had another injection for three years, my betahistine does the job for me keeps me sane and virtually spin free  ( hope I've not spoken too soon!!!)
God is a figment of the imagination according to Stephen Hawking and I agree with him.