meniere

Author Topic: Grommets and Steroid Injections  (Read 1211 times)

Offline sylvespa

• View Profile
Grommets and Steroid Injections
« on: Jun 06 2017, 04:20 PM »
Has anyone on here had grommets fitted and steroid injections and did they find they helped...?

I returned to the hospital today for my second lot of injections but my Consultant said there was too much fluid in my ears and he didn't want to attempt the injections.

He decided to arrange for me to go back in as a day-case to have grommets fitted to help reduce the fluid and then administer the 2nd course of injections at the same time. 

I'll be having a general anaesthetic as he did want to attempt to do the procedure again under a local given the level of discomfort I felt the first time around.

I know this site seems to have gone quiet recently but I'd appreciate any information or advice from anyone who has had grommets fitted.

Thanks
Paul

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Grommets and Steroid Injections
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06 2017, 05:36 PM »
It has not gone quiet Paul.  It is merely resting.  I can’t help with the grommets question, other than to observe that a general anaesthetic is a ‘big deal’.  Hopefully a fully grommeted member will be along shortly....

Offline sylvespa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06 2017, 06:40 PM »
Thanks Wobbler

Offline Gatzby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07 2017, 08:53 AM »
I had my grommet fitted under general anaesthetic about three years ago and also had a dexamethasone  injection at the same time. I awoke from the anaesthetic and felt great, no problems at all. After a period of about three to four weeks my spins returned it wasn't until  about twelve months ago that my SERC dose was upped to 2x 16mg tabs three times a day that things really improved for me along with treatment from my acupuncturist , I have not had a serious attack in nearly twelve months and my quality of life at the moment has not been better. I do on occasions get a bit of BPPV but nothing serious.
God is a figment of the imagination according to Stephen Hawking and I agree with him.

Offline sylvespa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 07 2017, 10:18 AM »
Good news you're doing so well Gatzby and thanks for the positive post.

I'm taking 264mg of serc a day and the hope with the grommets and steroid will allow me to reduce this down considerably!

I still get some balance problems and mild dizziness but not often but my Consultant has advised me to go down the route of grommets and injections and then try to reduce my dose

Ever hopeful!

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05 2017, 06:09 PM »
I have had grommets steroids and Serc over the past 4 years. For some reason I have been spin free for over 6 months. I defiantly found that a dual approach of steroid and grommet worked a treat.

HTH (sorry it's so late)

MissCheeva

Offline sylvespa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09 2017, 08:12 AM »
Thanks MissCheeva!