Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
What did you do today?
« on: Oct 29 2017, 08:19 PM »
It was a bright sunny morning here, once the early rain cleared through, so I went out on the bike for while.  Because I wasn't paying attention and took a left too soon (!), I went along the canal path to get back on my original planned route along the back roads for about 12 miles, puffing gently at times. It was really nice to be out. Plenty of other cyclists whizzing along - unlike me, I just chug - enjoying the day. What did you do?

Offline Gatzby

• View Profile
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29 2017, 09:09 PM »
Today I went fishing with my club and had a thoroughly enjoyable day. Tuesday I will be going to my archery  club and I just hope the weather cooperates :D
God is a figment of the imagination according to Stephen Hawking and I agree with him.

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30 2017, 07:50 PM »
Did you catch anything or was it more a social occasion?

A quiet day today - sunny but chilly out. Made a cake this afternoon; got to keep one's strength up, you know!

Offline Gatzby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31 2017, 09:38 AM »
Yes Milady, I had a really nice days fishing and yes it is a social occasion as well. All our club waters are catch and return so no fish are killed.

Archery today, and the weather is looking not too bad around these parts so am looking forward to that. Just hope I've got my eye in  :o
God is a figment of the imagination according to Stephen Hawking and I agree with him.

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31 2017, 07:42 PM »
How was the archery? My younger son took it up at university, but hasn't found a club round here that he feels he fits in to, so has rather neglected it since.
Tonight is Scottish country dancing night - burn off some of the cake and keep the brain working. :)

Offline Gatzby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31 2017, 09:09 PM »
The Archery was good today Milady. Sorry to read your Son  wasn't able to find a club that suited him because on the whole , round here, I've found that most archery clubs seem quite friendly and accommodating.
Hope you enjoyed your dancing , it's always nice to get out and forget about our troubles. :)

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01 2017, 07:42 PM »
Nice to chat with you Gatzby, about trivia other than the Beast.

I think it was an age thing with the archery club - schoolchildren and their parents (nothing wrong with that) but no one in between, and he felt the odd one out. I hope he will get back to it in due course.

The dancing was pretty good, this week - a Halloween party and a bit of silliness. Today was the monthly knit and natter - not that I do much nattering because I can't hear half of what is said! Still, it's out of the house and a change of company. That's probably it for the rest of this week apart from a shopping trip on the bus. How does one cope with such excitement? ::)

Doesn't anyone else have anything to say? This isn't a private conversation. Please feel free to join in.  :)

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02 2017, 07:46 PM »
Today's big event - gathering up a bin full of dead leaves. The green waste collection came this morning, so now I've filled it up again, and there's still at least half a tree of oak leaves to come. It was so much easier when I could drive to the tip with 4 or 4 bags... but that's the way of things now. It will all get done in the end (trying to be calm and philosophical here, not sure I'm quite succeeding!).

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05 2017, 07:48 PM »
Another fine, bright morning though a bit nippy. Off on the bike, the same route as last Sunday, remembering this time to take the proper turning. Up a long incline, puffing gently, I noticed in the mirror there was someone a way behind me. I thought it was another cyclist at first but as they got nearer I realised I was being gained on by a jogger! Fortunately my blushes were spared as I reached the top of the hill before he actually caught me up. My excuse is he was bigger and stronger and 30 years younger than me...

Offline Gatzby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05 2017, 08:21 PM »
Are you sure you didn't want him to catch you up anyway  ;)  ;D

Today has been fishing again and tomorrow archery (again) Must admit today though down by the lake I was starting to feel the bite of a northerly wind .
Roll on next Summer, I just love the warm weather. 8)

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06 2017, 09:33 AM »
Aha I like this thread !

Saturday : 30 mins turbo cycling, including 20 mins really hard. Finished off a 100m fence I spent last weekend on.

Sunday : 2 hours cycling on the road, eased in for 30 mins and then gave it some beans the rest of the way. Got soaked, freezing cold. Went for a coffee after.

Today : work work work. Walked the dog as usual.. more work. Having battered myself on the bike Sat and Sun, a rest day is in order.

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06 2017, 06:56 PM »
Are you sure you didn't want him to catch you up

Nah, I've got one of my own (not a jogger, or a cyclist though) - I don't need any more hassle.

Bright and sunny today but a frost first thing. Went and rode round the green, once the frost cleared. 10 times round makes a mile, roughly, and I try to do at least 20 circuits a day, weather and time permitting. Not exciting but safe. I'd go further more often but the 'what ifs' make me cautious. I like to pick my moment and a relatively quiet time. Then out to lunch with some friends. I do like a meal that appears in front of me without having had to do anything more than just order it. And no washing up either!

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07 2017, 08:55 AM »
When iIwas suffering the worst I didn't leave the house for weeks, I was so frightened of the "what ifs". Eventually, my oldest and dearest friend called round and said she was taking me out to pick blackberries. I hesitated but she said "whats the worst that can happen- I will have to carry you back to the car, but I'll do it!"

Of course . she was right. And my kids say the same- if someone is with you, we will be fine.

My friend has stage 4 pancreatic cancer now, She can no longer walk but I take her out for a little drive most days just so she experiences a change of scenery - I remember what it meant to me .

Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07 2017, 06:54 PM »
A change of scenery and company works wonders.

Only 28 laps of the green this morning before the rain came on :(.

Finished the cake today so had to make another one. Dancing this evening - a teaching evening so lots of instructions i won't be able to hear and a few mystery tours! It'll be fine...

Offline Gatzby

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10 2017, 10:01 AM »
Archery again this morning then I will take my wife for a pub lunch as it is our wedding anniversary (and I haven't forgotten  :angel:)

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10 2017, 06:58 PM »
  it is our wedding anniversary (and I haven't forgotten  :angel:)

Happy anniversary to you and Mrs Gatzby. I hope you enjoyed your lunch. (I take it you really remembered and it wasn't because she'd marked it on the calendar in big red letters... ;))

30 laps of the green this morning, then off to town on the bus, and half an hour or so clearing up leaves (again) this afternoon. It's lovely having an oak tree at the end of the garden, but there are times when it seems less attractive.

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13 2017, 06:46 PM »
A pleasant weekend, though Saturday was a bit of a washout.

8 miles on the bike Sunday morning, sun was out but a nippy wind - 'bracing' is the word. Then an afternoon with a friend sewing quilts for Project Linus, very therapeutic.

Today, 40 laps, then housework - well the sun shone in and I could see just how much dust had accumulated.

How is everyone else doing?

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16 2017, 06:58 PM »
The sewing bug woke up again and bit me. :)
The therapeutic effect of cutting up little bits of fabric and sewing them together again in a pretty pattern is not to be dismissed lightly. Beats housework into a cocked hat.

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12 2018, 07:01 PM »
 Let's try again...
When I was (very) young (about 9) I decided to keep a diary. For the first week it was detailed, then it gradually tapered off to 'went to school, came home, did not do much'.  I was hoping we might get some idle chatter going, or don't you do much, either? I suspect that really you all lead such busy lives you may not have time to talk about it.
For those who want to know how the less busy of us pass the time, today, I got up, had breakfast, did 20 laps of the green on the bike, hoofed round to the bus stop to go to town, got the bus home again, had lunch, read the paper, went off to do some sewing, (another block for my next quilt), did some knitting, cooked dinner, cleared up after, and here I am, nearly at the end of a spin free day (there's still time, of course :(). Surely you've had much more fun than that?  :laugh:

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14 2018, 07:26 PM »
Up this morning and told myself firmly I had to go out on the bike - not just round and round the green. I haven't been further for a couple of weeks - weather etc,- and was beginning to think of excuses not to -eg I was going out later today, would I have time to go further. Well, if you get up and get going, of course you do, so 8 miles and home by 10.15. Not the nicest morning, a bit chilly, but dry and I felt all the better for it. Yah, boo, sucks to vertigo!

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 12 2018, 08:32 AM »
Pretty much the same as yesterday.  Work, work and more work and then back home to cook tea, help with homework and then unwind with a book and bed.  Such fun eh!

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 12 2018, 07:11 PM »
Washing, ironing, cycling circuits, some admin work for dancing - music for next week's programme - lunch, and watch the racing, knitting some more of a sock. Then Tesco delivered, then it was time to cook dinner. Where does the time go?
I wish the sun would come out. It may no longer be cold, but the grey skies have stuck around an awful long time.

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 13 2018, 05:17 PM »
Interested to read the you are a fellow quilter milady. I make baby quilts/ playmats largely from Liberty fabrics. However, I lost my best friend before Christmas and have inherited all her fabrics, including some fabulous African ones, all her quilting and patchwork paraphenalia ( she used to exhibit hers), her very expensive Bernina machine with hundreds of attachments that I have no idea what they do, and an overlocker! Oh yes, and all her unfinished projects. If I live to be 100, I can never use them all. what kind of quilts do you make?

I also mosaic, am taking a French degree and volunteer as a witness support worker in court. Be interesting to do a study of MD patients and see whether there is any correlation between personality and the disease. Mr Rea , consultant said it was usually people who like being busy that get it and that therefore has a greater impact on their well being.
Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 13 2018, 07:18 PM »
I've been quilting for many years - also have a stash of fabric, but never quite the bit I need... Despite my best efforts, giving away quilts, or occasionally managing to sell one, the pile keeps growing, hence the Linus Project quilts with my friend. This helps satisfy the need to sew without increasing the pile. I find the sound of my sewing machine very therapeutic, and playing with colour and pattern is always fun.

Since you've inherited a good stash of fabric you'll be well on the way in the competition - the one who dies with the most fabric wins!

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 16 2018, 07:45 PM »
What I did today... well let's start with yesterday - up and at 'em. Out on the bike, 12 mile circuit. How nice to see spring coming, primroses, cowslips, the hawthorn leaves greening up the hedges. Felt pretty good after that. Today, circuits of the green, pedalling happily along when whack - things go sideways and I fall in a heap. No warning, just the 'oh, s**t' moment as one hits the road the wrong way. Mirror broken off, scuff on the helmet, graze on the elbow and a nice bruise developing on the hip. Fortunately nothing worse, and my neighbours kindly came out to pick me up and dust me off. Weird thing is, the spin was gone in a minute or less - I've been getting this a few times lately. It's nice that it doesn't develop into a full blown spin, but it would be nicer if it didn't bother to start in the first place, especially just then >:(. Anyway, after a minute or so I got back on the bike and went slowly round a few more laps, just out of b****y mindedness, but now I've got to rebuild the confidence all over again...sigh. And I've got the caloric test booked for Thursday just to add to the things to (try not to) brood on.

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13 2018, 07:05 PM »
Been a busy day. Up at crack of doom, extra breakfast and off on the bike to take part in a 22 mile charity bike ride. Bit chilly first thing, but soon warmed up and it was a lovely day, not too hot, not too cold and not too windy. Made it round in just under 2 hours, even though I did walk up some of the hills  :). Felt justified in resting on my laurels for the rest of the day!