Author Topic: Hearing badly reduced  (Read 241 times)

Offline ladar

• View Profile
Hearing badly reduced
« on: Dec 21 2018, 06:58 AM »
I woke up this morning with fullness and tinnitus worse than itís ever been and then realised my hearing had deteriorated massively overnight.  I canít hear anything at all in my MD ear and my voice sounds a long way away. Head is very fuzzy and husbands voice is very faint.  When I listen to the TV (on very loud) the voices seem to be vibrating.  All pretty uncomfortable and scary.  Has anyone else experienced anything like this and do you think hearing will get back to how it was.  Do I need to see someone about this or will it improve over time?

Head feels like a vertigo waiting to happen (not had a a full blown attack for almost a year).  Am hoping nothing happens as going on a cruise after Christmas (just five days) and am now worried about any repercussions.

Thanks for any feedback and wish everyone a happy, safe and MD free Christmas.

Linda

Offline harry

• View Profile
Re: Hearing badly reduced
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22 2018, 03:07 PM »
Hi Linda,

What you describe is not uncommon with MD. With all things MD it could last a few hours/days/ weeks. It does not mean you will have a full blown attack. It is unlikely to be permanent as hearing loss with MD doesn't work that way. The distorted sound is again a normal part of MD.

In other words try to look upon it as a blip and a part of having MD. You can't control it. You just have to let it do it's thing.

Sometimes a sharp loss of hearing that last for a week or more is treated with a strong dose of steroids in case  of an infection. But that may not be a GP thing but a hospital consultant choice. If in doubt make a GP appointment.

Offline ladar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23 2018, 08:21 AM »
Hi Harry

Many thanks for your reply.  It happened exactly as you said - hearing came back gradually and now back to what I class as normal and no vertigo attack!  Itís the first time itís happened which made it scary.  I will be better prepared if it happens again.

Linda

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04 2019, 08:56 AM »
Hi Linda,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner.  I am glad that your hearing went back to normal and I hope you have enjoyed your cruise you mentioned.  I have had the same thing happen before.  It is quite distressing.  Hopefully you will be 'normal' now for a while.

Diana

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04 2019, 07:24 PM »
Glad to hear things have improved. I had an episode about 8 months ago when my hearing significantly reduced in the MD ear and the tinnitus got worse. No vertigo thankfully but for the first time in 8 years, the hearing has not bounced back at all. I was re - tested recently and advised that my loss in the left ear is now 90%. i am having a hearing aid fitted next week on NHS. Lets see how that goes!

Chrissieg
Chrissieg

Offline ladar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06 2019, 07:47 AM »
Hi Miss Cheeva and Chrissieg

Many thanks for your replies, both are reassuring that this is ďmerelyĒ another offshoot of menieres.

The cruise went well except for one day when we had gale force 9 winds so walking straight was difficult and uncomfortable.  Unfortunately I had to spend the day laying on the bed.  No vertigo attack though which I was very pleased about.

Chrissieg - sorry to hear that your hearing didnít return after your attack.  I tried using my hearing aid at the time but the fullness was so bad I couldnít tolerate anything else in my ear.  (I stopped using the hearing aid a while back because of this reason.)

Linda

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09 2019, 05:44 PM »
Hi Chrissie,

Sorry to hear that your hearing did not come back. Not sure if this is your first hearing aid. Be prepared for it not to feel right for a while. They say it takes about 3 months for the brain to adjust to a slightly different type of sound you get via a hearing aid. You may also find you need to go back a few times for a bit of fine tuning. Don't be afraid to go back and say "can you adjust it a bit" MD hearing loss is a bit different to normal and you also have a bit of distortion so it is important to try different settings rather than just the normal hearing set up based on your hearing loss.

For example i have my high frequency not as high as it says it should be because it doesn't feel right (distortion)

It took me 6 visits over 18 months but now it works very well !!! Sadly my right ear was too badly damaged and the distortion meant that whatever i tried it just did not work.

Please remeber that i had poor hearing and damaged ears before i got MD so that didn't help. Good luck and give it time !!!

I have also had problems with my one remaining ear (although i have already lost about 70%) for a few months now. With dull hearing and distortion. comes and goes. Different every day and every hour !!! Consultant visit in 2 weeks.Will be interesting to see what he says.I am pretty sure it will sort itself out in due course but we will just have to wait and see. It's happened before and will happen again. it just takes a while sometimes to sort itself out.

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10 2019, 08:40 PM »
Hi Harry

Thanks for the advice and reassurance. Its been fitted but the session was very abrupt and unsophisticated . At the moment it seems as though if I have the volume loud enough to make a difference to my received hearing, it distorts everything else - noises such as the kettle boiling are almost unbearable. I have turned down the volume but accept that I do need to increase it gradually and try to get used to it. They did warn me it would take a few weeks to adjust especially as its just one ear and I will have spent many years adjusting to overusing my good ear.

I'll let you know in a few weeks if I still feel the same. Hope yours settle down soon

Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11 2019, 05:54 AM »
If you can afford it I would highly recomend going private for a hearing aid. I have had NHS hearing aids in the past and whilst they work they are not a patch on those available from the likes of Boots. Also being a customer as well as a patient you get a far better level of treatment with appointments etc. to suit you.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11 2019, 05:15 PM »
The big problem with hearing aids and MD hearing loss (often distorted sound) is that the hearing aid just increases volume. it DOES NOT improve distorted sound. So it is a fine balance between increasing your hearing but trying not to make the distorted sound louder. Which is why I have had to have certain frequencies turned down. I understand the kettle part very much and any machine type noise and music is very difficult for me. You can have certain frequencies have an automatic cut off within the hearing aid. For example for me if traffic noise gets too loud my hearing cuts out for a while. Not sure how they do it.

You must try and perceiver with it but also ensure you go back for some fine tuning after say 8 weeks.You might need to be quite assertive.

Luckily you have a good remaining ear so a turned down hearing aid will still help you a lot.

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12 2019, 06:01 AM »
The hearing thing can be quite strange. For instance even with my hearing aid fine tuned a couple of times by the Boots audiologist I cannot hear the timer alarm on the cooker if I am more than a yard away from it. Yet my wife with normal hearing can hear it clearly upstairs in the front bed room which is about twenty feet horizontallya couple of doors and a  flight of stairs away. 

My other bugbear with hearing aids is that altough with the better ones the speaker is wired directly into the bit that goes into the ear instead of being in the behind the ear bit with a plastic tube carrying the sound to the ear the microphone is still in the behind the ear bit. So sound coming from the side is not received very well. Especially if hair or glasses frames are in  the way.  I am quite sure that it should be possible to build the microphone into the ear piece and connect it to the amplifier and other gubbins in the behind the ear bit.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12 2019, 01:39 PM »
With MD related hearing loss you should have a behind the ear hearing aid with volume control and an ear mould in the ear. This is because you need to clean sound straight into the ear. The hearing aids themselves have microphones front and back for all round sound and your aid should be adjusted according to your hearing loss.

Hearing loss with associated with old age is different and the sound just needs to be made louder. This can be done with a behind the ear and just a tube going down to the ear (no ear mould) or a  plug in aid into the ear. Older age hearing loss can affect the higher frequencies.

You should be able to hear the timer from a metre away with any hearing aid. As it is a high pitched noise.Hearing aid work best within 2/3 metres really but will give you better longer range sound than before but not as good as normal hearing

You can of course get MD hearing loss (lower frenquecies i think) and older age hearing loss as you get older. Which is why it's important to have regualar hearing tests. remember that once you have a NHS hearing aid you can make an appointment direct with the audiology/ hearing aid deaprtment for adjustments etc.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12 2019, 01:51 PM »
You MUST also ensure that the person fitting your hearing aid has a true understanding of MD and how it affects your hearing.As it not just a simple loss of hearing but much more complicated.  If not you will never get the correct set up.

Also remember that whatever hearing loss you have. A hearing will NEVER get you back to the same level as a normal hearing person. It's there to improve your situation not fix it.