meniere

Author Topic: Looking for a new job with Meniere's  (Read 235 times)

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
Looking for a new job with Meniere's
« on: Apr 04 2019, 12:25 PM »
Hi,

I am thinking of leaving my current role, but am held back by my fear of vertigo hitting me when at my new job.  I know that within the first 2 years they can get rid of you for pretty much no reason at all.  My current place of work is very understanding of my condition and to be honest up until now I have only taken half a day off sick in 7 years of being diagnosed.  I always try to make up the hours I loose in hospital appointment.  I just don't know where I stand in regard to if I have any rights in a new job?  What happens if I end up laid out on the office floor with an attack.  Could I find myself out of a job the next day?  Does anyone have any idea how this works?

Many thanks
Diana

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a new job with Meniere's
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15 2019, 08:54 AM »
Well just a little side note that I have a second interview next week.  I have been totally honest with them about my Meniere's disease and they obviously aren't put off by that.  I am still nervous at taking the leap, but I have another 25-30 years of working left in me and I can't stay where I am for that long, I have already been there over 10 years.  Anyway hopefully it will pan out.  Only time will tell.

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15 2019, 11:00 AM »
Hi MissCheeva
Somewhere along the lines I must have missed your original post and I apologise. I think you are very brave to take this massive step and I hope that you are successful. Good for you for having the confidence to put yourself out there. As we always tell each other on this forum, don't let this illness stand on your way.!  ;)

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15 2019, 12:50 PM »
Thank Gildo,

I just wish you were having a more positive experience with work.  I just have to keep my fingers crossed that my Meniere's doesn't go crazy in the next 2 years and I am so ill that they give me the boot.  Ho hum.  At least I will be doing a job I enjoy until then eh?  Mind you that is if I get the job.  Watch this space :D

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15 2019, 07:12 PM »
They can't say they didn't know - you have been honest with them about the MD and what it can do; if they are happy with that, what more can you say? Good luck with the interview. :)

Have you/they seen this?
https://www.menieres.org.uk/information-and-support/day-to-day/information-for-employers

'Equality Act 2010
The Equality Act 2010 prohibits, amongst other things, discrimination of disabled people in employment and requires the employer to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ for a disabled person or employee if they are at a substantial disadvantage in relation to a non-disabled person.'

Is MD classed as a disability?

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16 2019, 04:12 PM »
That point you raised about being a disability is mentioned on the Meniere's society in the link you gave me.  I just know it sucks :P

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16 2019, 07:19 PM »
I had a quick look round for info on MD as a disability. Google found me lots of stuff from USA where it is apparently classed as one, and also turned up this:
http://mduk.org/index.php?topic=2617.0
so sometime back in the mists it has been discussed on this forum.

We none of us like to think ourselves disabled, far too busy dealing with life day-to-day, but those day-to-day effects of MD do affect us insidiously - constantly aware that at any moment things can go sideways, checking how one feels, is it coming on or are we imagining things? I think we need to tell people about it, being positive in our attitude, but explaining that sometimes that positive attitude won't be enough and they will have to accept we're sometimes out of sorts (or worse) and they just have to let it take its course - we'll be back soon - and that it has practical limits on what we can do, eg steeplejacking is probably a no-no. ;D