meniere

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 694 times)

Offline apaterson17

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Introduction
« on: Nov 22 2017, 10:19 AM »
Hi All, Thank you for accepting me here. Just a little about myself, I am 37 from Blackpool and started suffering the symptoms of Menieres when I was 19. It took 10 years and many tests to get a diagnosis. Been on SERC 16mg since then. However I was told by my GP last year that I didn't have Menieres and it was an ear infection! that is a long time to have an ear infection. He would not renew my prescription. Anyway happy ending I moved GP and all is well again. I hope I can share my experiences here and benefit from others.

Andy
Local Support in Blackpool - Facebook - Menieres Disease Support Group Blackpool

Offline sylvespa

• View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23 2017, 07:28 AM »
Welcome Andy,
Glad you managed to get yourself a new GP.  Meniere's in my own experience and that of many others is a unique disease which differs from one person to another.
I was diagnosed Bilateral by Prof Rea in Leicester last November and went back to see him last week (I live in Cornwall but was very lucky to get accepted before Leicester closed their books to outside referrals!).
He's truly fantastic and an expert in his field.  Lots on the internet by him which you may find interesting.
Anyway I'm now taking 264mg serc a day, 5mg diuretics and also have grommets.  I've had two courses of steroid injections and having a third lot in the new year.  Next step is sac surgery if things don't improve, although I'm ever hopeful and planning to reduce my serc (very slowly) in the new year.
Best of luck on here, the site has been a godsend for me over the last 3 years.
Paul

Offline Silver Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24 2017, 01:00 PM »
Hi Andy and welcome. Glad to hear you were able to change your gp and get your medication again. Pleased to hear it works for you as after two years using it with no benefit I'm now undergoing steroid injections to try and give me some relief.
Ed

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15 2017, 08:51 AM »
Hi Andy,

Sorry it has taken me so long to post.   Welcome.  I am glad you managed to get a decent GP, what planet was the other Dr on?!

Anyway I hope you have a spin free Christmas.

MissCheeva