meniere

Author Topic: Long absence  (Read 600 times)

Offline ladar

• View Profile
Long absence
« on: Jan 25 2018, 02:56 PM »
I have been absent from the forum for a number of months so have missed some of the postings.  Unfortunately last August I suffered a brain aneurysm and had to have surgery to repair it.  Luckily for me I knew nothing of what was happening as I was unconscious for a few days after it happened and after two lots of surgery.  So,  my poor husband had to go through all the uncertainty of me being moved from my local hospital to John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford and visiting me every day not knowing if I would be aware and whether or not he would be able to have a proper conversation with me.   After about a week and a half I could have sensible (sort of) conversations with him and other people.  It was very confusing when I started being aware of every day life such as eating, getting out of bed and walking around as I didn't really understand what had happened.  So, as you can see it was a horrible time for everyone close to me.  Family and friends visited but I had no idea they were there and was unable to have a sensible conversation with them.  I know it was very upsetting for family members.  After the first surgery my husband was told there was the possibility that I would 'not be the same person' once I started recovering and that was true up to a point.  My memory was quite badly affected for a while but thankfully it is slowly improving - just the odd word I struggle to remember with now.  The doctors say it could take up to a year to fully recover and even then there may still be some lasting effects. 

Anyway, thankfully during all that, the menieres behaved itself.  I did continue to feel whoozy but it was difficult to know whether it was menieres or the effects of the surgery causing it.  That is continuing and I saw the ENT consultant today and he said the grommet I had fitted just over a year ago is beginning to come out but the ear drum is healing so with any luck the vertigo attacks should not return (he says)  so it's fingers crossed time again.  I'm still taking Serc three times a day (3 x 16mg three times a day) as well as Arlevert twice a day. 

I have been almost clear of vertigo attacks for just over a year but tinnitus and fullness still continue.  So I am really hoping that if the grommet does come out, vertigo attacks will not start again.  Im trying not to think about it with fingers crossed and trying not to to think about although it is difficult.  I still get the odd sensation that an attack is going to happen but only for a few seconds.  So maybe I'm at the elusive burnout stage!!??

It's taken me ages to get back on the site as I forgot all my sign on details but finally sorted it out.  So I will now be signing in more regularly again.

Linda

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
Re: Long absence
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25 2018, 07:11 PM »
Nice to see you again. You have had a rough time. I hope your recovery continues well.

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01 2018, 09:27 AM »
What a terrible and worrying year for you and all who care for you. I am very pleased to hear that you are on the mend and virtually back to your old self- hopefully without the old self vertigo. I've had a tough year caring for a loved one with pancreatic cancer and lost them just before Christmas. I was afraid that the stress might trigger a return of florid Menieres symptoms and how that would impact on my ability to provide that care but- touch wood- no deterioration. We seem to be tougher than we think!
Best wishes for a total recovery Linda

Chrissie x
Chrissieg

Offline ladar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04 2018, 01:32 PM »
Chrissie

So sorry to hear about your loss and hope you are beginning to feel better.  It's true we don't know how we will cope until something like both our events test us and show us how strong we can be.  I hope you continue to be 'vertigo free'.

Linda

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09 2018, 09:26 AM »
Hi Linda,

Glad to have you back.  I am sorry you have had such a difficult year.  Like you said, at least the Meniere's behaved.  I also get paranoid about having an attack as I have been vertigo free now for 11 months.  I keep thinking one is going to hit.  Hopefully it won't and I will get used to this blissful state of no vertigo as will you.

Anyway nice to see you posting again.

MissCheeva