Author Topic: MDUK facebook group  (Read 586 times)

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
MDUK facebook group
« on: Mar 04 2018, 02:59 PM »
There's a facebook group here if anyone wants to join

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2005658752982392/

Its only open to people in the UK and is a closed group, unlike here noone can read what you post unless they are a member.

This is not a shift away from this site, which I hope will continue to do the great job its done in the past, but it would be nice to keep regular members on here connected and give a safe place to discuss etc, if facebook can ever be safe !!

Also if you are having any problems joining this forum, you can ask to join the facebook group first, then we know you're real. We get a lot of spammers asking to join on here, and its often difficult to spot the real people amount the tens of applications we get every day.

No posts on there yet but feel free to be the first !

thanks

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
Re: MDUK facebook group
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04 2018, 07:15 PM »
I'm a facebook refusnik and want to stay that way. Will running a facebook page not reduce the number of regulars on here? We have an idle chatter section here, why not use it?

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04 2018, 07:38 PM »
This site is ticking along at a low level and we all hope it will continue to do so. Since there's a lot of old threads which are still useful, its a huge resource for people searching google for info about Meniere's and related conditions, there will always be a lot of search traffic hitting the site even if people don't become members.

The Facebook group gives people a way to discuss Meniere's which is slightly more discreet since its not visible to the public. I definitely needed something like that when I was going through the mill 7-8 years ago, now it exists and that has to be a good thing. There was a lot of things that I didn't feel comfortable sharing on a public site but if I had done so I might have advanced my knowledge sooner and maybe had a better journey through it all.

Despite the low level usage our hit rates are huge and I sense a strong sense of community here and I hope facebook reinforces that.

I'm sure MDUK members will have strong opinions both ways. I'm happy to continue to support this site for as long as I can because I gained a lot from it when I needed it most, even though I've not really needed to get help for a number of years. There is a small chance that we will lose the site at some point, for example if a hacker corrupts it and we can't get it back, or if we lose funding which comes from a very kind gentleman who hardly uses it ! etc etc - I like the idea of holding the community together in that event however unlikely it is. Equally there would be some topics which I'd prefer to be on here and not facebook. But I'm very relaxed about it and just hope that people will continue to get the help and support they need whichever medium they choose to use.

I like the idea of being about to push content to people, lets say someone new comes on here and needs some help. If we post on facebook that we need some expertise on that thread to help that person, then we can do that via facebook, the little red "1" in facebook will bring people to that post, and that can link to the thread on here. Its a means of bringing members here when their expertise is needed but they don't check the site that often.

Finally becoming a member on here can be a challenge since we get many spam requests that its hard to spot the real people. At least with the facebook group people can request to join via there, and I can then approve them directly on here. You absolultely can't let the spammers in as they post all sorts of unacceptable material, it has to be marshalled strictly.

I think that sets out a reasonable case for the facebook group, lets see how it evolves.

8)

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23 2018, 10:12 AM »
I'm a facebook refusnik and want to stay that way.

I'm with you on that.  I have an account that I keep disabling and then am forced to reactivate because someone is organising something and I can't get the info without being on Facebook.  Argh!  It drives me made.  Anyway I will stick with this forum.

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23 2018, 08:09 PM »
I usually check for new posts even if I don't log in every day.