Author Topic: MDUKCC Recruitment Drive  (Read 943 times)

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
MDUKCC Recruitment Drive
« on: Mar 08 2018, 10:26 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43308729

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
Re: MDUKCC Recruitment Drive
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09 2018, 07:03 PM »
Makes you more determined to keep pedalling! On yer bikes, everyone!

Offline Gatzby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09 2018, 07:22 PM »
Got out of breath just reading it !!   ;D
God is a figment of the imagination according to Stephen Hawking and I agree with him.

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10 2018, 06:30 AM »
Get a dog. Plenty of exercise walking it and companionship.

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10 2018, 07:16 PM »
Plenty of exercise walking it and companionship. 

That's what the other half is for - walking and companionship :D. We had dogs for many years, and sometimes we miss them still even though we've been dogless for about 5 years now. But you don't have to feed a bike...

Offline Gatzby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11 2018, 09:31 AM »
Plenty of exercise walking it and companionship. 

That's what the other half is for - walking and companionship :D. We had dogs for many years, and sometimes we miss them still even though we've been dogless for about 5 years now. But you don't have to feed a bike...

Or take it to the Vets or clear up its mess or apologise to the neighbours for the noisy barking :D
God is a figment of the imagination according to Stephen Hawking and I agree with him.

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11 2018, 07:01 PM »
In my own experience of twenty odd years walking around various areas of Newcastele in a blue suit and pointy hat at unearthly hours of the day humans make far more noise than dogs. It is also a lot easier to clean up dog mess than the the non biodegradable plastics that humans are intent on littering the planet with

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11 2018, 08:36 PM »
the non biodegradable plastics 

You mean the ones that some morons use to clear up after their dog and then hang up in the hedge?  What are they thinking?

Out on the bike this morning, zipping along feeling very fit and making good time, until I turned round and found the wind had been behind me...puff, puff.

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11 2018, 11:43 PM »
I have a dog and a bike!!  Can't say that walks help reduce symptoms but a good solid bike ride 4-5 days per week definitely sorts it all out :)

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12 2018, 11:04 AM »
Used to ride a bike years ago out of nescessity when both my wife and I were working and we could only afford one car. If my shifts clashed with her day job then it was a case of on your bike for me. Nowadays cycling has become fashionable and cyclists seem intent on taking over the world or the pavements at least.

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12 2018, 06:43 PM »
Coo it’s getting just like Face Twit on here!  Who said this forum was dead?  :)

Fashionable or not, I think that the point of the article was that cycling can boost the immune system and thereby, I hope and believe, assist the ongoing fight against Meniere’s.

That is our common enemy.  Not dogs, nor their mess, nor bad drivers nor pavement cyclists…. although each in its way can add to the stress that we seek to avoid….

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12 2018, 08:21 PM »
a good solid bike ride ... definitely sorts it all out 

If I don't go out on the bike every day, even if it's only circuits of the green, I really miss it. On a longer ride, I'm too busy taking in the scenery and looking out for potholes to think about the possibility of vertigo (at least only for a moment). Any activity that gets the circulation going can't do us any harm - apply a sensible risk assessment and carry on.

The local cycling organisation is putting on a charity ride in May. I'm tempted by the 20 mile run (I know my limits), as a gesture of defiance, and just to say I've done it. I need to scout out the route...

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13 2018, 09:24 AM »
It all boils down to getting your exercise. How does not really matter. I will agree that cycling is a very good way of doing it as well as being a very efficient means of transport. Of course if you do not fancy getting wet and cold or are a bit worried about having a wobbly when out on a bike there is the option of indoor exercise bikes. With modern electronics you can even do a virtual reality cycle ride in any part of the world that you want to.  Must try it one day. I always fancied taking part in the Tour de France.

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13 2018, 07:44 PM »
  I always fancied taking part in the Tour de France.

But would we fail the drugs tests?

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13 2018, 08:28 PM »
It seems perverse but apparently you need to be asthmatic to do well in the Tour these days.  Which begs the question as to which Olympic sport is best suited to MD.

I’m thinking Slalom skiing where the ability to veer from side to side under the influence of gravity could be a natural fit….

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14 2018, 08:15 PM »
apparently you need to be asthmatic to do well in the Tour
I'll be okay then! :laugh: