Author Topic: Current weather  (Read 409 times)

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Current weather
« on: Apr 10 2018, 10:59 AM »
Hi everyone

I still read posts here but haven't posted for quite a long time. I have been managing my MD very well for a few years now with the aid of Serc and watching salt/sugar etc. No vertigo episodes for about 6 years though get very unbalanced when tired. However, since Saturday, my left and affected ear has been driving me mad with very intrusive tinnitus of about 3 different pitches constantly and horrid fullness. I have been very frightened that I would have a full blown attack again, though so far that hasn't happened.
I do have a lot of stress in my life at the moment but then have also had similar episodes over the past years without this happening. The only thing I can think which may be causing it is the lousy , relentless bad weather and rain and consequent barometric pressure.
I wondered whether anyone else is having a similar experience without any other explanation- although I appreciate MD can be a law unto itself anyway.
And while I'm here - another query- anyone been on Eurostar and can advise whether the tunnel causes any ear pressure problems?
Thanks and best wishes to everyone
Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline dmj

• View Profile
Re: Current weather
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10 2018, 01:02 PM »
Hello Chrissieg
I hope you improve soon but I can understand your fear.    I've often wondered if the weather affects me, I feel rough when its windy and rainy.   Im not sure if its the sound of the wind and the vision problems I get when things are blowing around.
I wanted to let you know that there is a more recent steroid treatment that is very effective if you felt that you wanted to consider more treatment.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/175995/severe-dizziness-treated-with-steroid-injections/

I've had the treatment and it has helped me.   Sorry have never travelled on Eurostar so cannot help with that question.

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10 2018, 02:31 PM »
Thanks DMJ for the reply. i had heard in general terms about the research but it is interesting and re-assuring to read about it so clearly in the report.The worst thing about this horrid condition is  the unpredictability- even after so many years, you can't be complacent but you have to make the most of any respite or you would never live any worthwhile kind of life. You do get so used to the constant tinnitus so that it becomes less intrusive but funny how a change in intensity makes it all unbearable again- more brain retraining needed I guess!

Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10 2018, 05:49 PM »
I would put my money on the primary cause being increased stress levels and their impact on cortisol levels.  Barometric pressure is more likely to be one of many subsidiary factors.  Of course, when the stress pushes us close to the tipping point, then the subsidiary factors become all the more important and each and every trigger can then become ‘the straw that broke the camel’s back’.

So goes my theory of Meniere’s attacks.

The tipping point theory is why MD is so frustrating and littered with false clues…..

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11 2018, 06:35 AM »
I have found that when the weather is changeable I tend to get some of the old symptoms associated with meniers such as the stiff neck, cotton wool head, slight giddiness  etc. But mercifully not the full blown  meniers vertigo. Once the weather settles into a pattern either high or low pressure then no problems. My own theory is that like a barometer something in our bodies reacts to the changes and meniers makes us more sensitive to it. The slight problem with that theory though being that flying in a modern jet liner which is normally pressurised to 10,000 feet has no affect on me. Nor does the change in pressure/weather when I arrive at my destination.

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12 2018, 08:26 AM »
Hi Chrissie,

I think it is more than likely the stress that is doing it.  Although saying that when things were bad I did occasionally attribute my bouts to the weather.  To be honest though I know that when I got stressed that is when things really fell apart.  I hope this passes soon for you.

Diana

Offline ladar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19 2018, 05:20 PM »
Hi Chrissie

So sorry to hear that the menieres has erupted after such a long break.  It must be very disheartening and I do hope that things have eased off a bit without  you getting the dreaded vertigo.

I am finding that the fullness and tinnitus are worse than they have ever been but didn't connect it to the awful weather, so maybe that is the cause.  Although things haven't improved since the weather has improved.  I was sort of thinking that either the grommet I had has come out or it was disturbed by the effects of a brain MRI I had to have (not connected to the MD) as it was extremely noisy and seemed to vibrate right through my ears and head.  I'm seeing my consultant next week so I think it will be crunch time to decide if I want another grommet fitted.

I really hope things have improved and are much more comfortable for you now.

Linda

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27 2018, 01:45 PM »
Thanks for all your posts  for me.

Its been strange- the tinnitus is extremely loud and invasive including all sorts of new noises resembling water in pipes. It hasn't improved after 3 weeks but I believe I have acclimatized to the new status so that I am not so bothered as initially. And, touch wood, it hasn't progressed into the dreaded vertigo . I wonder if that is because I have continued to take Serc over the intervening 7 years and that has stopped all the symptoms re-appearing.

I am hoping that the lack of vertigo after  3 weeks fullness, hyperacusis ( people sound like daleks!) ad increased tinnitus means that danger has passed but you can never be sure. I stayed in for a week in case and then had to think- sod it-I'm not putting my life on hold until I absolutely have to.

i don't think there has been any change when the weather improved other than an improved situation with the fullness.

take care

Chrissie
Chrissieg