Author Topic: Is it time for another grommet?  (Read 256 times)

Offline ladar

• View Profile
Is it time for another grommet?
« on: Apr 19 2018, 05:41 PM »
I am currently having the worst fullness (and tinnitus) I've ever had.  Sometimes it's like having a great lump of something deep in my ear.  I don't know iif it's because I had a brain MRI (not connected to the  menieres) which was extremely  noisy and seemed to make my whole head and ears vibrate and  I am wondering if this caused the grommet to become dislodged.   Prior to this I had not had any major fullness  or vertigo attacks (for about 18 months) and now I feel on the verge of having one virtually all the time.

I am seeing my consultant next week and I'm sure we will be discussing whether or not to have a new one fitted (I have already had two fitted and don't know if there is a limit to how many I can have).  The other two were fitted under a general anaesthetic (because I was so anxious about the whole thing) and I would prefer to go this route again if the consultant will agree.  If he doesn't, can anyone advise whether a vertigo attack occurs when the local anaesthetic is put in the ear or at any time during the procedure as this is what worries me more than anything else.

Thanks in anticipation.

Linda

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Is it time for another grommet?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19 2018, 05:46 PM »
I had this in a trip to london recently, I felt ridiculously awful as a result, and was totally deaf, so I googled and found this method:

- open your mouth
- gently and firmly pull your ear lobes outwards and downward
- do a massive yawn with your jaw as wide open as possible for about 5-6 seconds

Worked well for me, gradually, and its cleared up since. As all things medical, YMMV however :) it might even make you worse (I don't know why, but feel safer for putting that caveat in !)

I suspect the trigger was tube train travel since if your tubes are not working properly that will cause the fullness and deafness. Been home a couple of weeks now and back to normal and not noticing any fullness.

There's a video of it on youtube somewhere, can't find it now though