meniere

Author Topic: Aspergers and autism  (Read 697 times)

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
Aspergers and autism
« on: Apr 28 2018, 07:47 PM »
Anyone on here have either diagnosis ?

There's huge parallels between meniere's and the symptoms typically suffered by aspergics and people with mild or high functioning autism

I score very highly in aspergers tests like RDOS and AQtest, these are measuring traits not IQs so they are not a proper job of analysing your profile but can give a good clue to get started with. I'm also mensa qualified for what its worth, did the test 25 years ago.

I've heard a lot of people who get MD have profiles that make them successful in business, or clever/very talented in some way. There's even some studies on pubmed suggesting this might be the case.

I was thinking of getting a diagnosis simply because life would be so much easier if I could tell people "why" !! I'm not sure thats a strong enough reason though. It might explain why my meniere's is atypical, but then again, why would I need to know that ? - whatever it is you have to go with the flow and just try to make the most of life. Then again, if you know you're a certain profile, there are strategies you can learn to manage things better, so perhaps that is justification in its own right. So interested in other peoples experiences and thoughts.  8)

Offline Gatzby

• View Profile
Re: Aspergers and autism
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29 2018, 07:45 AM »
I've heard a lot of people who get MD have profiles that make them successful in business, or clever/very talented in some way. There's even some studies on pubmed suggesting this might be the case.

Well , that's me out then   :o  Can't think of an excuse for my MD just bad luck I guess same as most folk. My MD ( according to Mr Rea, my consultant) was caused by a virus and I believe him as I am certainly not very clever or talented by any means, but as you say , make the most out of life while you can and i certainly try to do that to the best of any ability I have.
God is a figment of the imagination according to Stephen Hawking and I agree with him.

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29 2018, 06:56 PM »
I had intolerance to noise, deafness in one ear, tinnitus and other symptoms since I was a teenager. I suppose lots of things like that get worse as you get older. So I think it was always there - it could still have been caused by a virus or not, I think its impossible to know until they develop a way of non invasively inspecting nerve endings and the endolymphatic sac/valve of bast etc nanoscopically so they are see the virus present and confirm that the ear is working as it should. I think we are many years away from that being possible. And I'm not sure it would help even if you did know.

The first vertigo attack came at about 43 years of age after a day surfing in the sea. Then they kept on coming, and settled down after about 2 years, mainly around the time when I discovered that riding a bicycle helps and put it into practice!  I think perhaps it was always there and that day surfing just triggered the attacks when I was probably already susceptible.

So although I can't directly attribute it to a virus, perhaps that event was the straw the broke the camels back.

Offline chrissieg

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30 2018, 09:41 AM »
I am 100% convinced that mine was triggered by a virus- in my case Swine flu. I didn't have any symptoms at all until aged 55.

I am not sure about autism links but Mr Rea did say to me that it tends to occur in people with high intelligence and high expectations of themselves and life, they tend to be very busy achievers he explained so the impact can be worse on their every day life. I think I am probably the polar opposite in characteristics to Asbergers . But it can be reassuring to have a " label" if everything then clicks into place and helps you understand and accept how things are.

Chrissie
Chrissieg

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30 2018, 10:47 AM »
I too am of the viral causation camp.  And furthermore, that the virus doesn’t disappear but lays low within the inner ear mechanism waiting for the opportunity to come out and play and/or wreak havoc.  The conditions for this are likely when the immune system is busy elsewhere or compromised by stress.  There is a tipping point at which this will occur, which will vary for individual physiologies and lifestyles (including but not limited to diet, rest, exercise), medications such as Serc which improve inner ear blood flow and in so doing, I believe, raise the tipping point.

It is for this reason that labelling, acceptance and life style adjustments are important.  Antivirals can also help keep the lid on the Pandora’s box.

I am not sure about the links with IQ.  The only observation I would make, from the few people I have met with MD, is that it seems to have a higher incidence with the less extrovert members of the community.  Or perhaps it is just that all MD sufferers have had the wind knocked out of their sails?  :-\

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02 2018, 08:02 AM »
I have a psychologist appointment soon, will be interesting to see what they think about what I think !  Is my brain making my body ill ?

omg omg omg help !!!  I'm obsessing about it already.

that'll be a yes then ;)

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02 2018, 08:20 PM »
I have a psychologist appointment soon, will be interesting to see what they think about what I think !  Is my brain making my body ill ?

omg omg omg help !!!  I'm obsessing about it already.

that'll be a yes then ;)

That'll be a no then ;)  All done. Brain seems fine, just a bit of seasonal depression, pretty much a clean bill of (mental) health.

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11 2018, 08:45 AM »
Well gosh since posting this I've has the biggest attack of rheumatism that ever occurred on this planet. I can't even get on my bloody bike !

Now it looks like I don't have meniere's at all (I've always suspected this) and its some kind of systemic inflammatory condition that sends inflammation up my neck and into my ears.

They're all out to get you ! 

Its amazing that in all the years I spend googling for a technical idea of what was going on with meniere's etc it never occurred to me that a rheumatic issue could be causing it all. I'm still in the diagnostic phases but had this 5 months now so we're zooming in...

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11 2018, 10:57 AM »
Ooh er Spins.  Sorry to hear of your extended bike recovery phase.

Can you be mis-diagnosed with MD when it is not a diagnosis per se?  I am reminded that it is a term used for a common set of symptoms of indeterminate cause.

Articles in the latest copies of Spin Magazine point the finger at inflammation and autoimmune responses exacerbated by diet.  Elimination diets for gluten, dairy and sugar are suggested.

A brief google informs me that rheumatism is an inflammation.  Is it all part of the same dark interconnected web?

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11 2018, 05:50 PM »
Yes absolultely. My body seems to be attacking every muscle and joint I use and every tissue thats had a problem in recent times is getting it too. Including my worst ear! As you can imagine there's not many things in life you can do that don't involve moving one tissue or another !  I'm pretty much totally disabled now but the legs have had a partial reprieve in the last month or so which my sheepdog is pleased about :) getting in an out of a car is pretty grim as is getting dressed

Since MD is only a set of symptoms you could argue it still fits, however I think that MD is only diagnosed where no other pathology exists (see that big word I used then ;) ) so I think MD will be out the window.

I'm fiddling with diet to see if it helps but the scale of this beast is so unimagineably huge that you wouldn't really think it was a food related thing.

Worse still I've had to give up booze cos the medication reacts with it. When I did my chemistry degree they told me that alcohol was a solution, I must have not been listening in lectures properly

Still life has been a stream of consulations, bloods, doctors, hospital visits so there's a lot of momentum to get it fixed..

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11 2018, 07:10 PM »
Sounds grim! Hope it turns out to be fixable and there's progress in the right direction soon.

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12 2018, 08:03 AM »
Thank you

I think the number of appointments is going to make me ill !  Doctor monday, bloods tuesday, doctor wednesday, consultant friday, registrars next tuesday, two more hospital referrals in a couple of weeks including some rather unpleasant "oscopies"! ... all I wanna do is ride my bike and have a beer! (according to Mrs Spinner, it would be nice to be able to make some money too  ;) )

Still, as I said we are making progress, zooming in on a diagnosis, and a lot of momentum and effort is involved in acheiving that so I'm pretty grateful and most of it is on the nhs which although its a bit of a disaster and there's lots of mistakes frankly I'm very grateful to have its facilities.

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12 2018, 09:31 AM »
Hi Spinner,

I'm glad that there is momentum.  I hope they help you to move more freely.  Beer and cycling are pretty important ;)

Diana

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12 2018, 07:17 PM »
  Beer and cycling are pretty important ;)

So are cycling and beer. :laugh:

Sounds like you're going to be busy, Spinner.

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13 2018, 07:30 AM »
Its been like it for 5 months now !  I'm really excited about either being well again or dying, as both options are preferable to spending your life doing hospital visits !!!  On a brighter note, I had a steroid jab yesterday which has eased some of the pain and helped mobility x

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16 2018, 09:37 AM »
Well Friday didn't go well. I sacked my rheumatologist. Its a shame because his registrars are really good. But there are certain things you need from a consultant like clear communication, explanation, you need them to listen, this one didn't.. so giving him the boot ! xx

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17 2018, 12:35 PM »
Oh No!  What a shame, but like you said if he isn't listening or communicating then it does make life difficult to say the least.  I hope you find a good one soon.

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17 2018, 04:18 PM »
Difficult to know what to say to that Spins.  I can only confirm that I am deeply suspicious of anyone who wants to put things up my bottom, and even more so, if they are not listening!  ;)

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17 2018, 07:12 PM »
there are certain things you need from a consultant like clear communication, explanation, you need them to listen

Don't we just! I think they train them specially >:( It helps if you see the same person more than once, too. Let us know when you find the right one, we'd all like to know they exist.

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 19 2018, 06:28 PM »
I'm now registered with a new consultant who sounds really good and online comments suggest he communicates really well. I'll probably get to see him in a month or two.

Wobs ever since that thing was stuck in my bottom I've felt much better - I'd heartily recommend it  :-X