meniere

Author Topic: Private hearing aids are they worth it?  (Read 284 times)

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
Private hearing aids are they worth it?
« on: Oct 18 2018, 02:49 PM »
Rather than hijack MissCheevas thread I thought it might be an idea to start a seperate one so that we can get a more balanced view on whether it is worth going to a high street retailer rather than the NHS. The obvious con is that the high street retailer charges for their product whereas the NHS is free.  But they are also competing with the NHS as well as other retailers. Which the NHS does not have to do . So they have to provide a level of service that is better than both the NHS and their competitors as well as pricing their products at a level that people will buy them.

Having just experienced the purchase of a hearing aid from Boots I have to say that so far I am impressed with both the product and the level of service. Fair enough it is early days yet and I have to go back in a fortnights time after the hearing aid has bedded in so to speak to have it fine tuned. But so far without wishing to fall into the trap of defending someting just because I have spent money on it all is looking and more importantly sounding good.

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
Re: Private hearing aids are they worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18 2018, 07:07 PM »
Good idea to start a separate thread.

Anyone else 'gone private'? Any comments?

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29 2018, 01:21 PM »
ahammond, can you adjust the settings on the hearing aid?  I don't know about you, but my hearing gets better and worse  throughout the day.  Does the hearing aid cope with that?

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29 2018, 02:15 PM »
It varies depending on the model you choose. I chose a Phonak Audeo b70 with a volume control specifically to give me some control. But a lot are automatic and adjust depending on the way that the audioligist programs them.  The speaker is actually in the ear plug instead of the behind the ear part of the hearing aid. Which means  that instead of having a plastic tube linking the aid to the plug in your ear there is a wire that connects directly to the speaker in the plug. This seems to work much better than the plastic tube. The only downside that I have found is that there is a tiny wax filter that needs in my case at least to be replaced about once a week. It is a simple two second job though and the filters are dirt cheap.

So far I am happy with the hearing aid and think that it was worth the money. I go back later this week to get a bit of fine tuning done.