meniere

Author Topic: Fear of flight  (Read 205 times)

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
Fear of flight
« on: Jul 30 2019, 03:33 PM »
Hi all.
My annual holiday is fast approaching and although I should be excited I'm actually 'bricking it' because I've been quite unwell lately. Can anyone give me any tips on how I can fly without panicking about having an attack. My last big attack was 3 days ago and I'm due to fly this Friday, 2nd August
HELP!! lol

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of flight
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30 2019, 07:23 PM »
Repeat after me: 'I will be fine.'

There is no reason why you shouldn't be (fingers crossed, I know). It might be useful when checking in to mention that you suffer from vertigo, and make sure that the cabin crew know what to do if you are unwell. Explain that these attacks are random and you will almost certainly be perfectly alright, but in the event that you need assistance, can they please do...[whatever you find is needed]. Then get on the plane, make yourself comfortable, perhaps try to sleep a little, or otherwise distract yourself from the 'what ifs'. Good luck, enjoy your holiday and take it as it comes.

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30 2019, 11:01 PM »
Thank you so much for this advice. Every year I fly and every year I worry but this year is different because I've been so unwell. I will try to relax and I will think positively. Telling the cabin crew is also a great idea. Fingers crossed all will be fine.  ;)

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31 2019, 05:24 AM »
Get hold of some Arlevert tablets from your GP. They are a travelsickness preventative as well as being excellent at stopping Menieres attacks.  Also if you can try and get the front seats in the plane. We always book these in advance now as a matter of course. Not only do you get extra leg room but they are also a lot less claustrophobic.

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31 2019, 11:47 AM »
I've to see my GP today so I will ask for those tablets.hopefully they can supply them. Btw I'm a peasant and can only afford the cheap seats lol

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01 2019, 02:42 PM »
OMG BOTH MY EARS ARE PLAYING UP THE DAY BEFORE I FLY!! The good one sounds as if I'm under water or have water in my ear  :'(
Going to rest and see if it helps

Offline NEWOSA65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05 2019, 10:56 AM »
Don't be fooled - it can be so convincing that noise and pressure is coming from the good side when in actual fact its the bad side that's causing the problems! 
Good luck

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 05 2019, 11:29 AM »
It all settled with rest thank God. Unfortunately though I took an attack on Sunday. Lay down and it passed by overnight. Up on my feet today again woohoo  ;D

Offline NEWOSA65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05 2019, 01:27 PM »
Its always a relief when things improve :) Keep battling..

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05 2019, 05:46 PM »
Thank you everyone for your support. Just hate how this illness can rear its ugly head as and when it wants to!  >:(