meniere

Author Topic: Drop attacks  (Read 240 times)

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
Drop attacks
« on: Sep 11 2019, 12:03 PM »
Hello everyone
Can someone describe what a drop attack is like because I've a feeling I've had two. It felt like I was being pulled/pushed to the ground. Like as if I was wearing a magnet round my neck and there was a second magnet on the floor and it was pulling me downwards towards it. As well as this I am also getting dizzy when I bend forward, I am seeing flashing lights and zig zag lines when my eyes are closed. I have an appointment to see my consultant next month but if anyone can shed any light on the above symptoms in the meantime I'd appreciate it. Seems to me the illness has regressed again! 

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
Re: Drop attacks
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11 2019, 07:10 PM »
I haven't had that sort of experience myself, but it sounds pretty grim. 
Flashing lights and zigzag lines sound more like migraine, as described to me by a sufferer.
Can you chase up the consultant for an earlier appointment (I know, fat chance probably), or see if your GP can provide any advice/help meanwhile?

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12 2019, 08:17 AM »
Hi milady
Glad to say I've only experienced this twice now but you're right that it was grim and this is why i was wondering if they were drop attacks. I cant get an earlier appointment with my consultant but I've to see my doc tomorrow. I agree my other symptoms are like migraine and I know quite a few family members suffered with migraine including my mother. I have now found that I can't bend over without bringing on mild symptoms. This is quite frightening as I had my grandson in the shop yesterday and I of course forget that bending over isn't a good idea. I bent over to get something of a low shelf and when I stood up I was dizzy as hell. Hes only 20 months so I was really panicking. Luckily the symptoms passed and I managed to make it home. I just hate how every aspect of my life is affected now 

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12 2019, 07:23 PM »
Even when things are going well one is always waiting for the next attack - the awareness of how random it is never leaves you. If you're having trouble bending down try squatting instead - if you remember in time! I hope the doc can at least give you some reassurance and support. It often feels like you're the only one struggling with this, but you're not. Try not to worry about it too much (easier said than done) and remind yourself that you are in control, not this infuriating complaint.

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13 2019, 10:37 AM »
Thank you milady. I appreciate your words of support
Xx

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18 2019, 10:47 AM »
Hi Gillian,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues.  I haven' experienced anything exactly like you describe.  I have had dizziness come on when I move in a particular way or angle and that was put down to BPV and I had to do the Epley maneuver to stop it happening.  I don't know if that is any help.  You aren't alone in this, we all understand just how the unpredictability of this illness can be very stressful.  I hope the GP can help.

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19 2019, 09:48 AM »
Thank you MissCheeva. The attacks have settled a little lately. More dizziness now. Will definitely provide an update when I've seen my Consultant!

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19 2019, 10:42 AM »
There is an interesting article here that might help you as it offers an alternative exercise to help with BPV. WWW.karcher.com/article/fulltext/337947

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20 2019, 10:21 AM »
Thank you for that link ahammond. I will take a look now!

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20 2019, 10:25 AM »
Oh i did laugh.... I got the karcher cleaning product website???  ;D

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21 2019, 05:33 AM »
Glad it made you laugh but it was unintentional the first word should be Karger not karcher. My bad.

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21 2019, 03:15 PM »
I did giggle. I will retry ASAP and thank you again
Xx