meniere

Author Topic: So sick I passed out  (Read 89 times)

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
So sick I passed out
« on: Oct 03 2019, 09:07 AM »
 Well peeps I have never ever passed out in my life for any reason but MD decided to let me have the pleasure. I took an attack in the town centre. Totally debilitated. Had to lie on a bench. Took my husband 2.5 hours to walk me 150 yards through a pedestrianised area to get to a taxi rank. I am sure people thought I was drunk but tbh I really didn't care. When I got back to the hotel where we are staying I collapsed on the steps. My son and husband pulled me up the steps and once inside the hotel thats when it happened. All I remember was vomiting and then i was gone. About 30 seconds later I came round as they pulled me as best they could to the hotel room. I had even wet myself. How embarrassing. I'm used to this happening at home but not in public. I lay on a settee in the room for hours and hours until eventually I was able to go to bed. Two days later and I'm still exhausted, depressed and very frightened of a reocurrance. Is there a MD Bracelet we can order or
Something we can wear to let people know what's wrong with us?
 :'(

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
Re: So sick I passed out
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03 2019, 10:43 AM »
Hi Gillian,

I am so sorry you had to go through that.  It sounds like a nightmare, but at least you had family there to help you.  Have you spoken or seen your GP about this?  I wasn't aware that fainting was a symptom of Meniere's.

If you want a bracelet then look into medic alert.  My mum was allergic to penicillin and always wore her medic alert bracelet.  You can get other bracelets out there that specifically say 'Meniere's disease'.  I have a paper card from the Meniere's society that states I have meniere's disease and I keep it in my phone case.

I hope you are feeling better now.
MissCheeva

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03 2019, 07:15 PM »
I'm not surprised you're exhausted, depressed and frightened. One imagines 'the worst' over and over - how to cope if you're on your own.

I would suggest a plan if that happens, eg stop immediately (or as soon as you can) in a safe place and call 999. There is a free app from What Three Words  https://what3words.com/products/what3words-app/ which you can use to identify exactly where you are, within 3 metres, so you can give that reference and help will find you. Carry a piece of paper with name, address, emergency contact, GP and NHS number on one side and in big letters on the other you can put whatever information you need to explain things  - such as Vertigo, Menieres, NO I'M NOT DRUNK etc. When things were bad I got some sick bags too and always carried one  (so far never needed it, thank goodness). You can't predict when things will go wrong, but 'be prepared' is a good motto and I'm sure the scouts won't mind if you borrow it.

At least now you've passed out you can cross it off your 'to do' list. ;) Some experiences are so unpleasant you never need to do them again.

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04 2019, 09:30 AM »
Sorry for delay in replying
Thank you for your kind words of support. I think making a 'what if' plan is a good idea. I also didn't realise that app existed and will be downloading it. I didn't think fainting was part of MD and hopefully it was a one off due to the severity of the attack. I do believe i was overtired so perhaps that was another factor to it all.
I have the card in the back of my phone also but being a typical woman it was in my bag and I was hanging on to that for dear life lol. I see my consultant on 22nd  Oct and tbh I can't wait to see her and discuss things.
Once again thank you for your words of support
Xx

Offline milady

• Deaf, not daft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04 2019, 06:49 PM »
I hope that the fainting etc was a one off and you don't feel that bad again. I find having a plan helps a lot of things. Do trowel it on to the consultant - if these attacks are making you miserable and restricting your life you have to say so. By that I don't mean being a Moaning Minnie, or 'poor little me'; rather 'I'm a capable grown-up and doing my best but...' My father used to say 'a little help is worth a lot of pity' and it's the help you need.
 I hope they can reassure you that these attacks are 'normal' for MD. I don't want to be alarmist, but they need to consider if anything else is going on. I surmise though, from your posts elsewhere that it is probably not helped by ongoing stress over work and  the waywardness of the symptoms. Nil carborundum. :)

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04 2019, 07:28 PM »
I really think and hope it was a one off. Yes i def will reiterate to the consultant how sh*t things have been. I'm still in limbo in relation to work and just wish I knew one way or another how its going to pan out for me.
Xx