Author Topic: Anxiety after an attack  (Read 127 times)

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
Anxiety after an attack
« on: Oct 21 2019, 12:23 PM »
Had my first attack in 9 years recently.

I have been very ill in the last 2 years with rheumatic diseases, and endless hospital appointments etc. but had a good spot a few weeks ago so I went back to my old sport and had a couple of days windsurfing.

That went great, I couldn't believe that I could still do it, first day was light wind so just found my balance again and slowly sailed around. Day 2 I was zipping around a lake in strong winds having a whale of a time.

I had always suspected this might be a trigger. But for the next week I just felt really fab. It felt really great to have all my muscles challenged again.

In my diary, day 8 after my windsurf say "Wow, 8 hours sleep and I feel great"
Then on day 9, "another 8 hours sleep"

Then on day 10, my first long vertigo attack in 9 years.

OMG I feel like such a knob. Self inflicted.

I didn't puke up but had to spend the day in bed, and it gradually lifted

However since then I've had a fair bit of "anxiety", like my whole nervous system is on fire, yet not much in the way of worry

I remember that sensation so well and I always said to my rheumatologist I'll take any drugs you like but if it brings back meniere's I'd rather be dead.

Does anyone else get these sensations after the attack ?

Also I was also wondering if the problem is simply infected water stuck in my ears, if it is I might be able to do something to clear it - any ideas  ? does that sound plausible ??

Paul x

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
Re: Anxiety after an attack
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21 2019, 11:45 PM »
Hi paul
Did it feel great to be normal again? To do the things you love? To feel alive again? I honestly think what you've done is fantastic. You've taken a massive step to enjoy yourself and yes it's gone skew wiff but you enjoyed it. OK so you're suffering now but IT WILL PASS AGAIN.
After an attack I'm on high alert. I don't want to do anything that might trigger an attack. I don't want to move. To leave the house. To do anything that might trigger an attack. After a few days though I forget my  anxieties and start to live again.
As for the water in the ears, I think any experiences with water are going to trigger an attack given that water is connected to motion sickness.
Paul you've been very brave and i salute you
X

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22 2019, 01:03 PM »
Thanks Gildo - certainly felt great for days after. I think its settling down. I had a week of very little sleep but last two nights I've slept >6 hours and now feel strong again if just a bit dizzed.

Offline Gatzby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23 2019, 08:18 AM »
Hi Paul, pleased things are settling down for you. Having another attack is something that, at times, bothers me. I have been ok now for over three years but in the back of my mind the gremlin of MD is always there ready to pounce and strike me down, just hope it never does.

Nick G
God is a figment of the imagination according to Stephen Hawking and I agree with him.

Offline The Wobbler

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25 2019, 07:29 PM »
Spins

How can you be sure what the trigger was?  This is random, episodic, idiopathic, head-fecking MD.  Go and do it again, and if the same thing happens then start to be suspicious, before then trying it again.  Enjoy the ride.

Causation and correlation are two different things n’est-ce pa?

Wobs

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27 2019, 11:24 AM »
It was a chain of events which all built onto it

- biologics are electrifying my nerves
- windsurfing kicked off the vertigo which has a lasting effect on physical mental health (ears still feel a bit full now)
- then a nerve got jabbed with a cannula needle which electrified it all so much I couldn't sleep much - still no conscious anxiety at this stage, just tired
- then some effing twat doctor told me I had an underlying anxiety disorder - now that has given me anxiety

It was the last point that really got me kicking off. I've now booked but the right kind of doctor to formalise this, and just a little nervous that he will protect his colleague as they do, but its private so his opinion will only come to me. At least I will put to bed this stupid diagnosis once and for all if he is not disingenuous. Its gonna be £400 tho.. owwch

My rheumatologist said "I'm not surprised, that would give anyone anxiety". phew

The rest of it is actually looking really good - the biologics are working and I can live with frizzed up nerves for a while, the diagnostic process is finished although no doctor has written a diagnosis yet, I have established whats going on and I know how to fix most of it and how to manage the rest of it.

So once I've offloaded the mental stress of getting rid of this wrong diagnosis it will be plain sailing.

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04 2019, 09:09 AM »
Hi Spinner,

Yes I do find that when I have attacks I am anxious for a while after.  My whole body is in that fight or flight mode with the adrenaline pumping.  That does fade, but I am then left on high alert for a while and that takes a while to calm down back to normal (like a week or so).

I'm sorry you had to go through it.  It will get better I am sure of it.

Kind regards
MissCheeva