meniere

Author Topic: Steroid injection  (Read 105 times)

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
Steroid injection
« on: Oct 22 2019, 01:31 PM »
Hello everyone
I went to see my consultant today in the hope she would give me some strategies to support my return to work. She asked me to go on a low salt and caffeine free diet for 2 weeks and then i will get a steroid Injection into my eardrum. Can someone give me their views and or experiences of (1) the diet and (2) the injection.
Many thanks in anticipation
Xx

Offline Silver Fox

• View Profile
Re: Steroid injection
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31 2019, 08:36 PM »
Hi Iíve been on no salt, no chocolate, no alcohol from October 2016 and had steroid injections into the ear twice. Then an operation to place the steroid behind the ear drum. Unfortunately none of these have worked for me. Iím very reluctant to now have The gentermicen injection to kill off the balance mechanism. But I have heard these processes have worked for some people so certainly worth a try.

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01 2019, 09:48 AM »
Hi and thanks for your reply.
I put myself on the diet (except I only drink one cup of weak coffee a day so decided against giving it up as life is hard enough lol) and I've been so dizzy that most days I can barely function. I have had migraines along with the dizziness and feel so defeated right now. My injection is scheduled for next week and right now if they suggested cutting my ear off id happily agree! Lol. Im also getting my eyes tested in case this is also a trigger??? I'm sorry nothing has worked for you and you're obviously soldiering on regardless. Did you find the diet helps?

Offline Silver Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01 2019, 06:13 PM »
Had the operation on my ear February 2018 and had no immediate benefit from it. I have been on medsí the whole time also and at the moment going through a quiet spell. Only suffering mild attacks so perhaps itís a combination of all things. Hope you get some benefit from your injection and your attacks reduce. Ed.

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02 2019, 12:10 PM »
Thanks Ed. I hope so too. Fed up feeling this way every day!

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04 2019, 09:04 AM »
Hi Gildo,

I have been on the diet now for 7 years and it definitely makes a difference to me.  If I do have too much salt or caffeine I notice it a few days later with increased tinnitus and dizzy spells.  If I have really abused it then I get vertigo.

I have also had a large number of the injections.  I find that they take about 2 months to actually work and then the effect can last for about 6 months or more.  I have one time I went 18 months with no symptoms.

HTH
MissCheeva

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04 2019, 11:18 AM »
Hi MissCheeva
Thank you for your reply. I have a very simple diet normally but have cut out the likes of sausages and bacon now. I don't eat fast food either and If I have anything it's once a week. I'm trying my best to reduce the salt even further. I am glad to hear that the injection was successful for you and I hope to God it is for me too as right now my quality of life is crap and there is no way I could go to work. I just want some normality again
Xx

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04 2019, 11:41 AM »
Hi Gildo,

Be aware of things like cheese, bread and other food stuffs that have salt in them.  I cook pretty much everything from scratch and occasionally have processed food that is low in salt.  It is a pain, but it really works for me.  Eating out I normally inform the restaurant beforehand to check that they can cater for a low salt diet (most can).  If I am caught short out and about I know that the co-op do a salmon salad that is low salt and Marks and Spencer do a chicken noodle salad that is also low salt.  It has been a juggling act and occasionally I treat myself to something naughty (bacon sarnie).  I also make my own bread with a bread maker.

I do think the injections are great.  Sometimes I have had to have a couple of injections in the same ear before it works.  In fact I am due to go back in a couple of weeks and will be asking for another injection.

:D