Author Topic: Steroid Injection update  (Read 127 times)

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
Steroid Injection update
« on: Nov 07 2019, 09:09 AM »
So peeps I got it done and I have to say the whole experience was grim lol. The pain of the injection was shocking. The headache I took after it was shocking. The insomnia was shocking and the 9 hour vertigo attack it brought on was (as we all know) draining. Sorry to sound like a right old drama queen but I'm honestly not sure I'd ever do it again. Don't get me wrong, I hope it works and so far so good!!!

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Steroid Injection update
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07 2019, 09:27 PM »
omg so sorry, hope at least that each day is better than the last - well thats my strategy for getting through stuff like this, and it does help me a bit :) 

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08 2019, 11:09 AM »
Thanks for your reply spinner. Im glad to say I've not been dizzy now in a few days. My ear was quite noisy yesterday and I felt a bit anxious about that but it didn't amount to anything. If this injection has worked then maybe I can finally get back to work though the DVLA have now sent out a medical form for my doc to fill in. I have everything crossed that they don't suspend my driving license as that will impact on me getting back to work also! Eeeek!!

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12 2019, 07:49 PM »
So far not so good. Well im sorry to say the only difference I have noticed is the lack of vomitting. I tried to lie in my back last night but the room started to spin and I resorted to lying on my side. Got up at about 5 am to use the toilet and everything was still spinning. At about 2 pm I walked to the local shop
Turning my head to check for traffic whilst crossing the road wasnt a pleasant experience. Couldn't wait to get home. I feel like a prisoner now in my own home and in my own head. Will give it another week but I think by this stage the injection should have made some positive difference to my life :-\

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09 2019, 04:26 PM »
Hi Gildo,

I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner.  I have just read your story and am horrified at your bad experience.  I have had the injections a number of times and haven' experienced much pain.  I am so sorry you had to go through that.  I can only say that I find sometimes it can take a couple of months before I feel the benefits.  I hope you are feeling a bit better now that this is a month later.

MissCheeva

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10 2019, 10:28 AM »
Hi MissCheeva
Thank you for your reply. The pain of getting that jab done was one of the worst I've ever experienced. The doc injected the steroid in three times to make sure she got plenty in so it was painful with each jab. I have a pretty good pain threshold so I can promise I wasn't being an old wuss bag lol.
On a positive note the spins don't last long at all and I've only had a couple of attacks that weren't as bad as what I usually experience plus no vomiting! Woohoo! On a negative note I can't look upwards or tip my head sidewards without feeling dizzy and lying down is an issue too. I was trying to help decorate my daughters room and couldn't even look upwards hang curtains. The spinning sensation doesn't last long but it's not good to be stopped in your tracks whilst doing something as simple as looking upwards! I have also found that the noises in my ear have changed but i can cope with that. I am now waiting to hear what decision the DVLA will make about my license.
 :-\

Offline Silver Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10 2019, 05:44 PM »
Hi, Iím surprised that the injections were so painful. Iíve had the procedure carried out twice. Each time done under operating theatre conditions and experienced no pain at all. There is very limited space behind your eardrum so I canít understand why they had three goes at injecting. My consultant said itís where the stuff is placed and how long it stays in contact with the balance mechanism, not the amount injected.
I had no benefit from the injections and then had an operation to lift the eardrum and an impregnated pad placed behind the eardrum. It was a few months after my op that I have benefitted. It is now 12 months since Iíve had a menieres attack.
Hope things work out for you.
Ed

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11 2019, 07:12 AM »
Hi Ed
Thank you for replying. When I got my injection it was carried out in a room in the ENT clinic. I was placed on my back as the consultant first "numbed" my eardrum and then i received three doses of steroid. Thinking back the pain probably wasnt three separate jabs but just her topping up the steroid (she warned me each time she did it) and it just felt as if the needle was going in again and again. Two nurses were also present and they had to hold me down as I wanted to flinch every time I felt the pain. She told me how much had been injected into my eardrum and that it was a "good amount", Afterwards I lay on my side for about half an hour and then went home. The aftermath of the injection was brutal and id honestly never get it done again.
I'm so pleased that you have found a treatment that has worked, though what you had done sounds horrendous and I admire your bravery! Hopefully I will continue to improve too
Gillian