meniere

Author Topic: Meniere's with Vestibular Migraine  (Read 89 times)

Offline harry

• View Profile
Meniere's with Vestibular Migraine
« on: Jan 10 2020, 03:42 PM »
Following my latest visit to consultant it is believed that I also have vestibular migraines as well as MD attacks. VM's are not like typical Migraines with bad headaches and flashing lights. You do get mild headaches sometimes but it's more about balance, unsteadiness , Neck ache , fatigue and sometimes vertigo plus a few other things. So it's a lot like an MD attack but without the fullness & hearing problems. doesn't cause Tinnitus but the stress of it can make existing tinnitus worse.
We are tracking my symptoms at the moment but it does seem to explain some of the symptoms I been getting over the last few months in between MD attacks.
Has anyone else been told they have this and how does it affect you?

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
Re: Meniere's with Vestibular Migraine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15 2020, 11:11 AM »
Hi Harry
Yes it was mentioned to me at my last occupational health appt that I may be suffering with vestibular migraines but when I spoke to my GP about it he suggested taking aspirin to ease any pain I might experience. I don't always have pain but see flashing lights frequently, suffer with a stiff neck and experience fatigue. I also become quite clumsy and my eyesight is affected in that it goes blurry. I don't think my GP was prepared to investigate any further but I will be mentioning it at my next ENT appt
Gillian

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15 2020, 03:14 PM »
Hi Gillian,

It is interesting that apparently up to 40% of people with MD also have VM and sometimes VM is mistaken for MD as the symptoms are quite similar. Except MD has the fullness, Hearing loss and Tinnitus. But the Vertigo,nausea,fatigue,Dizziness etc are the same for both.

It was never really discussed with me, but because I didn't have classic migraine symptoms (bad headaches and flashing lights) I never even considered it. I now know that there are all sorts of different migraines and many without the headaches and flashing lights .

A lot of the symptoms I have found and also mentioned by my consultant for VM match what happens to me sometimes. I have always called them "off days" when I knew it wasn't MD but I just didn't feel right.

I have had a bad patch for about 4 months of vertigo, dizziness, unsteady, balance and feeling very tired and fatigued. I knew it wasn't all MD and couldn't understand why I was feeling so rough for so long. I have had MD for over 20 years and many of the symptoms for VM for just as long. So it just became "normal" for me and "off days" were simply that. Days where I just didn't feel quite right but not having a MD attack.

My anxiety and stress have been building up over the last 2 years like a snowball due to various issues. It turns out that the number 1 trigger for VM's is Stress and anxiety! Number 2 is tiredness !!!. We all know that stress and anxiety are a key factor with MD so it's not surprising that it's triggered both for me. At the same time!! rather than at different times so you don't really notice the VM's.

Your GP is right that Asprin etc are the first stage medication for Migraine. There are lots of different specific Migraine medications. These are aimed at specific symptoms and for when Apsrin etc don't really work.

My consultant has asked me to track my symptoms and how often they occur. Then see is Apsrin/paracetomol make a difference. I am going back in a couple of months to discuss it with him and see if I am in fact getting VM's and whether a specific drug will help.

I am convinced that I am getting VM's as well as the MD (which is not in question) and it does explain a lot and also helps that I have a reason why I sometimes don't feel right even if there isn't a magic cure. Although it would appear that the worst of it can be treated and lifestyle changes and diet will help remove some of the triggers.

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15 2020, 03:26 PM »
I have also had many vision problems such as tired eyes, difficult to focus, blurry vision which I put down to Visual vertigo that I get and the vertigo in general. But it's seems that it is all linked together.

One thing I am trying to find out is does MD trigger VM's? Do VM's trigger MD attacks? I have been told that the Visual vertigo doesn't trigger MD vertigo. But I am just trying to find out more so I can see if there is any more I can do to try and reduce the number of attacks.

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:55 AM »
That is very interesting.  I do suffer from ocular migraines, but rarely get any associated pain.  Just the obscured vision and strange lights.  I wonder if it is related.  Thanks for mentioning it Harry.