Author Topic: ENT Appointment  (Read 78 times)

Offline Gildo

• View Profile
ENT Appointment
« on: Jan 22 2020, 11:29 AM »
Hi all
Well I had an ENT appointment yesterday and told the consultant about the return of my attacks. She asked if I would consider another steroid Injection but I said no as I found it very painful (as you all know because I moaned plenty about it lol) plus I really only got 2 months respite from the attacks. She then told me about a new trial whereby a gel is injected into the ear rather than a liquid. I might not be accepted for it as its only a trial but I said I'd put my name forward. She then suggested a gentamicin injection. Could someone give me their views on this? I know it destroys the hearing and helps with balance issues but I'd like if someone who has had it done could tell me more. She is also putting me forward for CROS hearing aids? Anyone used these before or using currently? I don't use my hearing aid at all because it's a useless pile of ***t. I'm due to see occupational health tomorrow about whether I can return to work yet but it's not really looking likely  :-[

Offline MissCheeva

• View Profile
Re: ENT Appointment
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22 2020, 04:25 PM »
Oooo I would be very interested to know more about the gel injection.  I'm afraid I am no help on the gentamin or CROS hearing aid front though.  Hopefully someone else who is more helpful will respond :D

Offline Silver Fox

• View Profile
Re: ENT Appointment
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24 2020, 06:53 PM »
Not heard of the gel injection. However if you found the steroid injection painful I imagine the gel would be a thicker solution and possibly more painful.
My consultant wanted me to have the gentamicin. However I would rather keep what hearing I have in that ear than risk loosing it.
I found the nhs earring aid totally useless and tried the all sing Boots hearing aids at a cost of 3000. I found these a lot better but they did not warrant the cost. So I returned them after the 90 day trial and had my money refunded.
As mentioned before I under went the operation where the ear drum is lifted and the steroid placed behind the ear drum. I have now been 13 months clear of attacks. Hoping this continues.