Author Topic: Barometric Pressure Daily triggers  (Read 100 times)

Offline Fay

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Barometric Pressure Daily triggers
« on: Feb 08 2020, 11:48 AM »
Hi, I am joining on behalf of a lady I support who suffers terribly with Menieres Disease. Many of the symptoms are triggered depending on the barometric pressure, her consultant has actually admitted she is like a Human Barometer.  The extremes of pressure are e.g High cloudless low, Blanket, moisture-laden and wind - Airflow all above can cause: very bad tinnitus, Loss of balance, affects mobility e.g difficulty walking, nose pouring - Ears full of fluid, Earache, very strong visual triggers e.g Reading/scanning the page triggers attacks, talking on the telephone, (all above can cause retching and coughing up clear fluid) sunrise and sunset (difficult swallowing as barometric pressure changes) We are looking for people with similar symptoms and could anyone suggest the name of a Dr or Hospital to help.. a local consultant has suggested the (UCL) University College of London.. I look forward to any responses and help!

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Barometric Pressure Daily triggers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08 2020, 06:06 PM »
People have reported the same thing on this site before, but for me the pressure was never a trigger.

Main things that work for MD are self treatment - good diet, relaxation, avoid stress, and if possible a solid exercise programme

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10 2020, 01:14 PM »
Although i have not had a full blown vertigo attack for several years I have noticed that barometric pressure definitely affects me. I have not kept any actual records but just mentaly noted that when low pressure starts I feel generally unwell and a bit wooly headed. Nothing serious just mildly irritating and a couple of paracetamol sort of thing. If the low pressure persists then I seem to adapt and feel normal after a day or so. High oressure always brings on a sharp pain in my ear and an increase in the tinnitus. But once again after a day or two I adapt and feel normal again.   What I cannot understand is that we fly abroad several times a year and the barometric pressure changes ascoiated with the flying has no effect at all. Neither does any difference in the pressure between home and holiday destination.

Offline Fay

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10 2020, 01:34 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies, both of you especially Ahammond.  The lady I support (Liz) is overcome with emotion we have found someone with similar symptoms.  Due to the bad weather at the moment she cannot pass any personal message on but once this storm is over we will be back in contact.  We very much appreciate your time in replying x

Offline harry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10 2020, 02:21 PM »
Hi Fay

I personally have not linked my MD attacks or symptoms with weather and pressures.

and some of the symptoms you describe I would not link to Meniere's

"can cause: very bad tinnitus, Loss of balance, affects mobility e.g difficulty walking, nose pouring - Ears full of fluid, Earache, very strong visual triggers e.g Reading/scanning the page triggers attacks, talking on the telephone, (all above can cause retching and coughing up clear fluid) "

- Fluid in ears, Earache ,Nose pouring? ( infections ??) and talking on telephone? I don't doubt they happen, but not sure I would link them to Meniere's. 

One thing you could look into is something called Vestibular Migraines or Migraines in general as my recent research ( as it would appear I am getting vestibular migraines as well as my Meniere's ) would indicate that some of the symptoms many of which are the same as Meniere's could be triggered by changes in weather pressures.

Re