meniere

Author Topic: Site closing ? (again !!)  (Read 92 times)

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
Site closing ? (again !!)
« on: Mar 17 2020, 06:47 PM »
Hi Folks,

Ian has said he doesn't want to continue to pay for the site. He has now paid for 5 years, at a cost of around £90 a year or so, so over time that mounts up to quite a lot of beer vouchers.

I think only a handful of people log in and although I am personally/fondly attached to this place and would love for it to keep going, I'm not sure its worth it

One problem is we can't sign up new members because we get about 1000 spam requests to join per month, so trawling through that to find real requests is not feasible. I created a facebook group to combat that as a vehicle for signing up but only a handful of people have used that mechanism to join, so its not going to do anything for the volume of traffic to the site.

I'd be happy to continue to support it on the technical and moderation side if a member wanted to take over the payments but I think without a new influx of members its not worthwhile.

We could just move the conversation to facebook. Now we have a group already, and there we have no payments and a good membership already

The group is here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2005658752982392/

I hope you will join me in thanking Ian for his support of the site.

thanks
Spins

Offline ahammond

• View Profile
Re: Site closing ? (again !!)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18 2020, 06:10 AM »
Sorry to hear that the site is to close. But I can understand why. Although I do not log in that often like many others I do follow the site daily and if I feel I can help with a posting then I  reply.   I will however join the facebook group.

Offline ladar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19 2020, 11:22 AM »
I find the site very informative and helpful even though I donít post that regularly. I have never wanted to join Facebook but if this is the only way to access MDUK then I will have to bite the bullet and do so.  Just a naive question - do we still have to re-register via Facebook even if we are already a member?

Many thanks to ahammond for his support and perseverance working on the site over the past years.

Linda

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19 2020, 09:48 PM »
You just have to join the group by clicking the link in my first post above. Ahammond joined yesterday. So get yourself a facebook account first, then click the link above, and I just have to approve you which I will do as soon as I see it.

I would love to keep the dialogue going through that group if a few of us could move over to facebook

Offline Spinner

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23 2020, 01:39 PM »
Several people have joined the FB group in the last week or two. Look forward to this community continuing on there.