meniere

Author Topic: balance /walking problems  (Read 7496 times)

Offline smeagal

• Visitor
    • View Profile
balance /walking problems
« on: Nov 23 2005, 02:43 PM »
 :) hi im new to all this
recently diagnosed with md finding life hard
i am having real problems with my balance and walking some days i cant go out and am frightened to go on my own.
shopping is out of the question unless i use a wheel chair
can anyone give me some tips
i would love to just go down the high street and get out and about
tracy

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
Re: balance /walking problems
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23 2005, 03:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum Smeagal. Sorry that you're battling with meniere's right now. There are some veterans ( ;D) here, who I'm sure will be able to give you some tips.
Have you tried using a walking stick? I've heard that it can sometimes be helpful to drag the stick, as much as it is to use it in the usual way. It helps by giving you extra balance/equilibrium cues.

Jon
Tinnitus and deafness left ear 1981 onwards.
Diagnosed with meniere's in 1993.
Retired from work 1995.
HNPP - Hereditary Neuropathy with Pressure Palsy

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23 2005, 04:08 PM »
Hi Tracy,welcome to our group.You will find it hard until you get used to this strange "disease.    I hav ehad it for nearly 40 years and have had to get used to the giddiness,feeling squeamish and other symptoms. I think I am lucky in that I dont have any bad attacks nowand worse symptomsand have learnt to live a quiet life,which is not good if you are young. Is your doctor understanding aboutMD and what medication are you on?  Do you have support at home?I take at least 2-8mg of Serc a day(betahistine or I think betahistidine)   Keep posting and you will get lots of help here
Best wishes   Fiona

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23 2005, 09:34 PM »
Hi Tracy, I didn't notice that you had signed your name, just your screen name. Smeagal.

Is that from Lord of the rings? I havent seen the films yet, we do have them on DVD, I've just not been able to watch them. Although I did happen to see the part where smeagal and deagal (?) were fighting over the ring. Anyway, my apologies for missing your real name.

bfn,
j0n
Tinnitus and deafness left ear 1981 onwards.
Diagnosed with meniere's in 1993.
Retired from work 1995.
HNPP - Hereditary Neuropathy with Pressure Palsy

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28 2005, 10:15 AM »
Hi Tracy
Welcome to the forum.  I think we've all been where you are now at some time or other.  My advice would be to keep doing what you can when you can.  When you're scared it's very hard but as for going out, try to do it as often as you can - with someone if not on your own.  As time goes on you will develop ways of managing the disease but when you're new to it, it's all a bit overwhelming and it's tempting to just stay at home where it's safe.  For me I find that's the worst thing to do, as my confidence just plummets and I become depressed.  Lots of experienced sufferers on this site Tracy, so keep posting and we'll all chip in with useful experiences and tips.
Take care
Chris
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline Josiem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28 2005, 12:31 PM »
Hi Tracey

I have been struggling recently, until my husband brought me a lovely pink walking stick that can fold down in my handbag, i now dont go anywhere without it, although a sometimes feel silly it really does help. you can get them for about 12.00.

but any good feedback from you all is helpful, cause i dont go out on my own anymore only to work when i can, its so frustrating not being able to do the things you used too   

Offline yvonne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28 2005, 12:32 PM »
Hi Tracy,

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time.  Just a suggestion or two though you've probably worked them out for yourself.

Go somewhere you know well and where you are well known, if possible
Go on the quietest day at the quietest time
Don't stay out too long
Go on a "good" day
Avoid big supermarkets
Go slow - no more rushing about for us wobblers
Enjoy a coffee in a nice quiet cafe
Treat yourself -  it's good therapy
Go with someone

Hope thiis helps.  Even if you just get out for a walk you feel better for having managed something. If you feel dizzy, say so and if you're in a shop ask for a chair. I think my local Co-op used to watch for me coming, before I moved house. They got quite familiar with my problems.  I will not hide. It is not my fault that I sometimes need help. Or yours either.

Good luck
Yvonne

Offline john h

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30 2005, 12:28 AM »
Hi Tracy

Sorry to hear that you are having a bad time, your in good company on this site it easy to feel alone and isolated.

I know how you feel about going out as for several years I did not go out on my own, my three sons were still living at home at the time and as a single parent I used to wait till they came home from school to do the shopping.

I've had MD., for nearly 23yrs and although the last three years have been spin free I still get periods of unsteadiness which of course may come on at any time. The advice in a previous post about a walking stick is very sound i've been useing one for many years. For shopping I use a shopping trolly, the type with four wheels not the two wheeled ones you drag. It acts like a rolling walking stick and if you feel unwell and have to sit somewhere you don't have bags falling everywhere.

Do try to get out I know its scary but it is confidence building even if its only for a short walk.

And make sure you have a sympathetic GP.

Be lucky,

John.

Offline smeagal

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30 2005, 10:52 AM »
thanks for all the advice
i do have a walking stick but i guess im at the being frightened to go out on my own stage.
it so frustrating not just getting up and going like i used to
im on circ so my spins are much better the worse thing is balance is this the same for everyone else

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30 2005, 11:28 AM »

it so frustrating not just getting up and going like i used to

It is infuriating, isn't it?

im on circ so my spins are much better the worse thing is balance is this the same for everyone else

Yup - it is for me anyway.   Please take notice of your body and be careful.   Either wear kneepads etc like a skaetboarder or use your stick.   I have to use mine all the time now and I still come unstuck sometimes.   There's one thing worse than being dizzy all the time and that's being dizzy all the time with your ankle strapped up and a load of bruises because you fell.    ;D 

If nothing else you learn to take time to smell the flowers, I suppose.    Ho Hum!   :)
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline Alec

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10 2005, 07:26 PM »
Tracy,
Welcome to the forum. It is hard adjusting to MD. In time you may find your body will adjust and things will get easier. Once the vestibular function is upset it can be a while for the body to compensate, it gets there in the end but it can take several weks or months to happen. I had an opereration last year to destroy what was left of my balance mechanism. At first I was not even able to get out of bed, let alone walk, but it did improve over the next few weeks. It was hard at first but within a few months I was walking my dog to the park and back. Hang in there.

Do you have spin attacks? Or is it mainly your balance that is the problem?
Alec (forum Moderator)

Whenever I hear the term, 'let's go for a spin', it makes me cringe.

Offline smeagal

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14 2005, 01:01 PM »
thanks everyone
i will try to take all the advise
i am not having full spin attacks now i guess the serc has stopped this but my balance is bad all the timeand really bad if something sets it off.
its hard not to just do the things you used to and even harder to sort out what has set it off this time

rebel4you

« Reply #12 on: Apr 27 2009, 10:58 PM »
I HAVE JUST JOINED THIS SITE AND AM NEW TO IT AS I AM MENIERE,S HAD IT FOR NEARLY 2 YEARS NOW AND AM ON 16mg SERC THREE TIMES A DAY , AND NOW DOC SAY,S I HAVE THE STARTS OF OSTEOARTHRITITUS I AM 58 BUT UP UNTIL 2 YEARS AGO I NEVER AILED A THING SO FINDING IT HARD TO ADJUST THANKS FOR LISTENING TAKE CARE ALL MY NAME IS SUE XX

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 28 2009, 10:06 AM »
Welcome Sue

Glad you found us and hope you manage to get some support from us all - we're a caring, friendly bunch - so don't hesitate to join in.

Chris x

claire

« Reply #14 on: Apr 28 2009, 07:31 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this site, I have MD and started with it when I was pregant with my daughter who's now 11. I have just had the injection for the second time and feel really ill. I would like to meet people whos suffer the same as I feel so alone. Noone no's how you feel it has taken over my life. Claire. x :-\

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 28 2009, 11:37 PM »
Welcome to you too Claire.  Believe me we know exactly how you feel - most of us having been there, seen the film, got the T shirt etc.  I hope you can find some support from us here.  We will certainly do what we can to help you through the hard times.

Take care
Chris x