meniere

Author Topic: 1st or 2nd stage?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Keith

• View Profile
1st or 2nd stage?
« on: Dec 29 2005, 01:28 PM »
Looking back on my previous problems, I think I may be in the 2nd stage of MD.

Back in 1994 I lost the lower frequencies and the bone conduction in my left ear, the ENT Surgeon I saw at the time gave me an audio test to confirm it, but he also said he had no magic wand and I must learn to live with it.

So over the following years of getting used to low volumes of tinnitus, I also remember often coming home from work with the feeling of having a "head" cold, which I now know as the classic symptom  of ear pressure, also whilst listening to TV that my left ear sounded very tinny.

In February this year was the start of bad attacks of vertigo with roaring in my left ear, the first when at work and having to drive 10 miles to get home, scary to say the least.  Serc was prescribed in March and in April I had a 5 week clear period so the same ENT man suggested I stop taking tablets now. Oh what a big mistake, after 5 day the vertigo came back with a vengeance, an 8 hour attack followed by several 2 hour attacks.

But in August and back on Serc the attacks were very low, so I can go back to work, and I have been all OK since.

I've seen another ENT Surgeon who put me on 24mg 3 times a day and until now had no dizzy spells, but over Christmas I did the silly thing and went off my diet and here I am now with head pressure.

Could I be in the second part of MD? What is the best diet to follow, I see that coffee is best avoided but what about any other food/drink can anybody advise me please.

Many thanks, stay sober!!!!!

Keith.

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
Re: 1st or 2nd stage?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30 2005, 12:59 AM »
I find that salt is the worst thing, Keith.  The health profession is trying to get people to keep their salt intake down to 6g a day but for MD, it's 1g.  If I go over that, I'm on the floor and vomiting. I can use Lo-Salt in small quantities as that lower in sodium.     On the other hand I have can 1 cup of coffee a day and seem to be OK with that.  I have a banana a day to try and take care of potassium levels.

Basically, it's the less processed food and the more resh the better I think.    You know what goes into cooked fresh food whereas a lot of processed food is a chemical lottery.

People vary so much with MD and with food tolerance, it's difficult to advise, just to tell you what works for me.

Keep going and all the best for 2006.
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30 2005, 11:23 AM »
hi keith, for me i find an easy way of reducing salt levels in food  is to use a steamer for my vegetables.you dont add any salt to them,and they taste beautiful.all of the family eat them with no problem.guests have never noticed either.i had an electric one first ,which was good,but have recently bought a hob one which is great.
              i find that i am better using  decaf coffee and decaf coke,and walkers crsips which are not salted.
            all the best for 2006                  jan
keep smiling!!

Offline Alec

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30 2005, 02:02 PM »
Yes, a low salt diet is best for any MD sufferer. I don't mean a strict one, although some do, I just mean avoid the high salt foods and caffein (coffee, tea, coke, pepsi). Avoid things like meat pies, pork pies, chinese food, most pre-made dinners, gravy, soups, crisps etc. Also, don't add any salt to food when cooking and don't have salt on the table. By reading the labels you soon get to know the foods to avoid, after a while it becomes automatic.

I took serc for nearly 20 years with no side affects. They are considered to be very safe to take long term so there is no reason why you should not keep taking them, especially as they appear to work for you.

Not sure there is such a thing as first or second stage. MD comes and goes with a lot of people. Over 20 years I had several periods of remission, and that is not uncommon.

Hope you feel better soon.
Alec (forum Moderator)

Whenever I hear the term, 'let's go for a spin', it makes me cringe.