Author Topic: Alcohol and Betahistine?  (Read 44846 times)

Offline catty1976

• Visitor
    • View Profile
Alcohol and Betahistine?
« on: Aug 29 2006, 09:01 AM »
Hi

Can anyone tell me if its safe to drink alcohol while taking betahistine, the dr told me it was and the info leaflet didnt mention anything?  I had a drink last night, just a couple and when I went to bed I felt awful, really really tired and a bit spaced out!!  Maybe it was just tiredness and my overactive imagination, its not that I drink a lot but I wanted to know how others were, I dont want to feel like that again!!

thanks,

Catty xxx

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: Alcohol and Betahistine?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29 2006, 10:31 AM »
hi,i  am on serc 16mgs three times a day,and i do drink alcohol occasionally,without any effects.but if i have taken  a stemetil i wouldnt drink for at least 6hrs after taking one.the best person to ask is the pharmacist.i often phone my local pharmacist for advice,they are very helpful.
  have you had alcohol since you have had menieres?some people do find it a trigger.

jan
keep smiling!!

Offline Josiem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29 2006, 11:08 AM »
Hi Cathy

I actually stay away from alcohol, i always feel it seems better that way, and im more in control if you know what i mean.
I take serc and amitriptyline and i always worry that if i do have one it will sprak off an attack so i havent had a drink in 7 years or more

Take care

Josie

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29 2006, 01:55 PM »
Hi

I think it is safe to drink with betahistine, that's what I was told anyway.  I don't tolerate alcohol very well these days - it seems to go straight to my head and ears and I feel dizzier within 20 minutes of having a drink.  Needless to say I only have one very occasionally  - mostly high days and holidays and then usually before bed, so I can sleep it off!!  Are you normally able to drink a couple and feel no effect? 

Chris
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline DGT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29 2006, 04:45 PM »
Hi

I am not a big drinker but I have been known to have a couple or so (?) if Gloucester have a good win in the rugby.  I have not changed in the slightest since taking betahistine and have never been aware of any problems.

I hope that it is the same for you.  There are occasions when a drink can hit the right spot.

Best wishes
Dave

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29 2006, 06:33 PM »
I went to see the pharmacist about this as I started on betahistine just before Christmas 4 years ago.   He asked what I usually drank and when I said red wine, he said that was fine up to 2 normal size wine glasses.    I hope that gives you a bit of guidance.
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline catty1976

• Visitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30 2006, 08:41 AM »
Hi and Thanks for your replies

I did as advised and spoke to the pharmacist who confirmed what you all said, that it was ok to drink as long as it didnt affect the MD.  Too be honest sometimes I can have one and feel giddy straight away but not knowing I had MD I didnt relate it to this.  The pharmacist told me it could be my body getting used to the drug so who knows?

thanks again for helping to put my mind at rest.

Catty xx