meniere

Author Topic: chat room  (Read 29947 times)

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
chat room
« on: Sep 07 2006, 11:56 AM »
hi all,i was wondering whether we still have the chat room facility?if we have, is anyone interested in starting it up again?
        hopa everyone well
                      jan
keep smiling!!

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
Re: chat room
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08 2006, 08:39 AM »
hi,i was just looking thro old topics,and it appears we actually dont have the chat room facility anymore.the last posts were from october.alec said we didnt have the facility anymore.there was a poll vote,but not many people replied,and only a few felt that they would use it.
              jan
keep smiling!!

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08 2006, 02:59 PM »
Hi Jan,

I've been using Frappr maps/groups to act as an extension to my Hnpp_UK yahoo group. Frappr has a chatbox setup by default, so I've made a map for menieres uk chatters, i've linked the forum to this one, I hope Alex doesn't mind, but it seemed pointless starting a separate forum as well...

Anyway, anyone can chat there, without having to join up, but you will be known as guestXXXX where X's represent a random number.
If you join the frappr map, you will be known as your selected screen ID in the chatroom.

It's there for anyone to use if they so wish.

http://www.frappr.com/menieresukchatters

jon
Tinnitus and deafness left ear 1981 onwards.
Diagnosed with meniere's in 1993.
Retired from work 1995.
HNPP - Hereditary Neuropathy with Pressure Palsy

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08 2006, 03:27 PM »
hi jon,     thanks very much for info.i have never joined the yahoo group,is it easy to use?as you will probably remeber im not very good on the computer :-[
   you have been quiet for a while jon,are you keeping ok?
               jan

keep smiling!!

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08 2006, 03:57 PM »
Jan,

The frappr site isnt the same as the yahoo group.
I found frappr just so confusing at first, it wasn't until I had created a frappr account that I got to grips with it. There are so many options and it is quite confusing.
With the menieresukchatters site, there is a chatbox just to the right of the Map. It's a bit small but can be enlarged.

I've kept the site open, so it should be possible to chat without having to log in.

Retired from work 1995.

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08 2006, 04:23 PM »
Jan,
I've been enjoying the summer as best I can. Drinking too much cider for my own good!!

Health wise it's not getting any easier, though having said that I have been thoroughly tested at respiratory, and now have treatment, inhalers, which are working well. I've not been too dizzy or as scatty as i was earlier this year, which is very welcome.

so that's me, how about yourself?

jon
Retired from work 1995.

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08 2006, 05:03 PM »
hi jon,so pleased your respiratory problems are being sorted and treated effectively.how did you get on with the new consultant you were going to see,were you going to see someone at the radcliffe,or have i imagined that?
         my menieres has been much more active the last few months,im in process of trying different medication to see if that will help.
              when im feeling more with it,i will try out the website.i did click on it just now,and see your pic.
           jan
keep smiling!!

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08 2006, 07:18 PM »
Hi Jon

that's really good what you've done with the chat site.  I've had a look and am now a member and well impressed.  There wasn't anyone in chat at the time but maybe we could set up something on a regular basis again for those members who seem to miss it.  Any suggestions for a time/day?

Chris

PS  Glad you haven't been experiencing too much dizziness.  I went through a bad patch for about 3 months but that seems to have settled down a bit again, thank goodness.
not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ...

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08 2006, 08:24 PM »
hi jon,thanks for the info.i joined up this evening.i was impressed with how easy it was to join.there was no one on to talk to this evening .we have a lot of new members who are posting quite a lot,so we may be able to arrange a chat time again
                jan
keep smiling!!

Offline carrot top

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10 2006, 05:37 PM »
hello everyone,
                     Jon, I have tried to log onto the frappre chat thingymyjig but got confused. I am not good with computers and can't remember my password and stuff.
              My husband helps but I think it is just me not being computer savvy.Can you pass on any tips?
                     see you,
                        carrot top.

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10 2006, 08:58 PM »
Hi CT,

I've sent an email to you via frappr messages, but I have just looked again and there is a way to retrieve your password, once your email address is known,

http://www.frappr.com/?a=forgotpass

put in your email address and

Frappr should reply with your password

Hope this helps,
jon
Retired from work 1995.

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11 2006, 02:33 PM »
Would anyone be interested in setting up a regular chat day/time.  We used to do Thursday morning before but maybe an evening time would be better for those who work?  I had a long chat last night with 'Extreme' - we just happened to be visiting the chat site at the same time. 

Chris

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11 2006, 04:14 PM »
Hi all, I've just joined!and have kept it simple but did change my password successfully! Thanks Jon for setting this up for us. Will hope to join in sometime I am usually on line late afternoons but can come at anytime really. Some of you may remember that i am still a novice typer but am content to lurk until i can add something! Look forward to seeing when folk can join in.  Christine and Jan, I saw your names but found the way to add"friends" to the map not on as this needs email addresses so "my" map will stay looking as if I am the only one there! Did you both get this welcome from "Matt" I eventually found where to reply and sent one, as usual really to ask 2 questions
    Fiona
PS if this works it mustn't detract this MB ;D

Offline Extremist

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11 2006, 10:02 PM »
Would anyone be interested in setting up a regular chat day/time.  We used to do Thursday morning before but maybe an evening time would be better for those who work?  I had a long chat last night with 'Extreme' - we just happened to be visiting the chat site at the same time. 

Chris

Thanks for the chat Christina.

I could probably do a weekly one, but not during weekday mornings due to work.

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12 2006, 07:57 AM »
hi all,

Anytime will do for me, so I'll go along with what others suggest. Thursday night is the yahoo chat night, which I think is active, so best to avoid thursdays. Otherwise anytime.

jon
Retired from work 1995.

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12 2006, 02:06 PM »
Any afternoon would be favourite for me.
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12 2006, 03:56 PM »
Hi All

What about 2.30pm on a Wednesday afternoon then?  How does that suit everyone?

Chris

Offline carrot top

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12 2006, 04:34 PM »
hi everyone,
       wednesday afternoon @ two thirty is good for me, but i have never used a chat room before as jon will tell you, i am willing to give it a try.
                            carrot top

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 12 2006, 04:45 PM »
Wednesday from 2.30 would suit me so I'lltryto  remember tomorrow but every one will have to remember we suffer from brain fog ;)and not be put off if no one is there!----And I'm slow but can lurk!
 Fiona

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 12 2006, 04:48 PM »
PS, never used the underline function before, tried to u. try and knew it wouldn't work!!!!!!!!
Fiona

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #20 on: Sep 12 2006, 04:58 PM »
Oh, most excellent!!  I've joined up - name Linda (wow!!!), bookmarked the page and I'll see you guys tomorrow - Sainsbury's deliveryman permitting.   Last time he came here, he got lost.    :D
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 13 2006, 02:57 PM »
Hi , I entered the chat room , put in about 7 posts ,talking tomyself, a bit of practice really but no one else there . I stayed for about 20 mins from 2.30pm. I was a bit confused at first but clicked on the My Frapper tab at the top which did take me to where the box for sending messages was. I still cant see where to log out?

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 13 2006, 03:24 PM »
Hi Fiona
Glad you eventually found us!  Hopefully, there'll be a few more of us to talk next Wednesday around 2.30 but we didn't do too badly today with 4 of us online.

Chris

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #23 on: Sep 13 2006, 05:04 PM »
Flamin 'ell !!   Pardon my language.   I did a load of studying this morning, sat down at 1pm with my lunch and the current paperback....................and fell asleep.   I woke up 30 minutes ago with a little help from the cats, who wanted their tea.

Sorry folks!   :(
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #24 on: Sep 20 2006, 04:20 PM »
I turned up late for chat today, after a visit to the dentist and there was no one there, so I missed you all again!   :(
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline jan

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 20 2006, 05:20 PM »
hi latou,sorry i didnt go on.i actually felt workish this morning for the first time in ages, :o  :o so i did some housework and  defrosted the fridge,then was totally lazy this afternoon.
                    jan
keep smiling!!

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 20 2006, 05:42 PM »
Hi all, re the chat room, I finally found Carrot Top( christine)after spending 20 minutes chatting to myself somewhere! The page i was on at first had a list of the names of those who had joined but not a complete one, eventually I clicked again to find the real page as I thought I bet someone is elsewhere(like last week) and found the other page with the complete list of our names and carrot top on her own so we spent some time getting used to it
  If anyone else tries it just make sure you are on the right page. When I started i am sure I was on the menieres page but something somewhere changed ----Do hope you can understand my waffle. I have used the option of disabling sounds as I found it annoying. Hoping to see a few more next week although we got on fine and enjoyed it
Fiona

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #27 on: Sep 20 2006, 09:20 PM »
Fiona, when logging onto Frappr, it seems to automatically go to the "MyFrappr" page, which is our own 'profile' pages, there is a chat box on that page as well, which is different to the menieresukchatters page, which you can get to by selecting the 'tab' at the top of the page.

I'm sorry i missed the chat this afternoon, i was tired out from the walk to the health centre this morning, had to order repeat prescriptions.

jon
Retired from work 1995.

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 21 2006, 11:25 AM »
Sorry I missed the chat yesterday.  I'm having a busy time organising my daughter who goes to university on Monday and I'm also organising my house move, which happens next Friday, so apologies all.  I will try to make it next Weds if I can but apologies in advance if I don't.

Chris

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #29 on: Sep 21 2006, 01:21 PM »
Cor 'eck!   Next week is going to be quite some week for you then, Chris.   Good luck, buddy.   See you at the other end of it all. 
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sep 21 2006, 02:17 PM »
Cheers Linda.  I'm trying to be as unstressed as poss - I don't want to set myself off in the next couple of weeks.  I had a bad 3 months when the house was on the market and wondered if they were related.  You've got to live your life though, haven't you?

Will let you know how I get on.
Chris

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #31 on: Sep 23 2006, 10:23 AM »
Frappr have changed things around a bit, i suppose it is an update ofsoftware. Unfortunately, there are a few problems. the chatrooom can be found from the same link

but regardless of whether one is logged on or not, it wil not display the correct log in name. so we are all guests. I would imagine its just a bug, which will be sorted out, but it appears to be beyond my control. So guests we will have to remain for the present time.

Also once logged on, things are slightly different. 'MyFrappr' profile page, looks much the same, except the 'map tab' has disappeared from the top of the page. To navigate to the Menieresukchatters map, this has to be selected (clicked) from the 'My Maps' section on  the MyFrappr page. 

I would imagine there are some system admins having some rather sleepless nights at the moment. I hope it settles down soon.

Jon.
Retired from work 1995.

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sep 23 2006, 03:20 PM »
 Hi Jon,I used the link on your last post which took me to the page where as I had not logged out it welcomed me as Fiona, also found the map and the number instead of my name. We will see how it goes on wednesday, thanks for the message. I guess if its still like this we could put our Initial(s) at the start of each message sent?????   Mine would be F!!!!
 Fiona.

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #33 on: Sep 26 2006, 10:45 AM »
Sorry Folks, but I've broken it!! I noticed today that the Login names were working in frappr chat, went to leave a message to say so, and somehow the main map settings were changed, and the chat room switched off. Unfortunately the Bods at Frappr havent fixed the bug which stops changes being registered, so I can't switch the chat room back on..... Hohum... the joys of software upgrades... !!!

It should be possible to chat at each others Frappr 'MyPage',

so if you'd like to meet up at my profile page and use the chat there, you're quite welcome to do so.

http://www.frappr.com/jonleonard77

Edit: It seems it was a temporary glitch, Chat room is now back on-line

It should be working now... fingers crossed
Retired from work 1995.

Offline carrot top

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sep 26 2006, 01:54 PM »
Hi Jon, I can`t get the chat to work ,it keeps going on to reloading all the time !!!
I will miss chatting tomorrow!!!!
                  carrot top.

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #35 on: Sep 26 2006, 02:03 PM »
Hi CT,

Does it just keep displaying the orange wheel in the centre... if so try right clicking and selecting play that should load the chat room

otherwise, it may be that the new software has even more bugs.....

I'm in chat now (was in chat)

I was chatting with Chris earlier, there were a few glitches but it seemed to be working. However I've noticed a few other bugs with the site in general, so there maybe other problems. Hopefully, the Frappr team will solve some of the bugs, but it might take a few days or even weeks...

Retired from work 1995.

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #36 on: Sep 26 2006, 11:45 PM »
Hi folks

I set up a chat room on my site for members of the Yahoo group and I don't see any reason why everyone here shouldn't use it as well.

The link is

http://www.latou.co.uk/MDUK.html
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline jon

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
    • HNPP UK temp page
« Reply #37 on: Sep 27 2006, 12:40 AM »
Linda,

Thanks for the offer of using your room, it will probably be for the better, it has to be less buggy than Frappr.

I think frappr have messed things up a bit, it might work well eventually but there are so many bugs. Several times today I have lost all the settings made on the page, and it enters into a default read only phase. I've found out now that it is temporary, and settings will return, but it takes almost an hour each time.
But it looks to be far too unreliable at the moment. (and time consuming)

Shall we all congregate at Linda's from now on? Frappr could always remain as an alternative (if they ever fix the bugs)

Jon
Retired from work 1995.

Offline Christina

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sep 27 2006, 08:40 AM »
Thanks for the offer Linda.  Fine by me to congregate there on Wednesdays, although I'm not sure I'll be able to make it today - house move stuff etc.

Chris

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #39 on: Sep 27 2006, 10:01 AM »
I'm going to make a determined effort to be there today and not fall asleep after lunch.   ;D   I'll have the kettle on for anyone who can make it.
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sep 27 2006, 02:57 PM »
Oh Linda what a to do!! As yousaw iwas there and typed in a message,saw the press enter but my laptop wouldnt show what i had to press.Tried moving the page etc etc and can see you talk with Equine and asking if i am OK. I stillhave the page and will watch you chat but feel slightly helpless!!! hope you check here and see this
Fionajane

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #41 on: Sep 27 2006, 03:05 PM »
try registering again and see if that helps?   Have you got Java installed?
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline carrot top

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sep 27 2006, 03:08 PM »
hi CT here,
I can`t access Lindas chat room, the nicknames are not letting me. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #43 on: Sep 27 2006, 03:10 PM »
did you do the registering bit?   Try registering again - even if you have to change nickname/password - it doesn't matter if you're registered twice
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sep 27 2006, 03:19 PM »
Hi linda, see you have noticed me here!! I had tried reentering etc and have just tried again but it does not" enter" this time therefore am giving up! for today

Offline carrot top

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Sep 27 2006, 03:26 PM »
Linda I have tried different nicknames but will not accept. I WILL GET HUBBY TO HELP TONIGHT. THANKS ct

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #46 on: Sep 27 2006, 04:05 PM »
Sorry about the hassle folks.   I don't know what the problem is.

As far as I know it works OK on a Thursday.    Perhaps Elaine can let us know if they've had any problems.    I can't get into chat on a Thursday evening, so I just set it up and let them get on with it.

Elaine, speak to us........................ yoohoo Elaine..........................  ???
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sep 28 2006, 03:56 PM »
Hi Linda, I think ,no I know I have solved my problem from yesterday ie not being able to enter what i had typed. Silly me thought there would be a button to click below the word enter and I couldnt scroll down to find it!  I now know its the enter , return key on my keyboard. Have just had a go and managed to do it ::)
   Fiona

Offline latou

• View Profile
    • Latou's Place
« Reply #48 on: Sep 28 2006, 05:43 PM »
Good news - thanks for letting me know that.    Elaine is going to go into the regular Thursday night chat of the Yahoo group and let me know how it goes.

Fingers crossed that we can get it right next week.    I enjoyed chatting with Jacky but it was so frustrating when you and others were having problems.
Linda

www.latou.co.uk

Offline Fiona

• Trusted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Oct 04 2006, 03:17 PM »
Hi everyone, is everyone either to busy or not well enough today on the Chat lines!! Hope it is not the latter. I put both sites on my screen but no-one arrived  :'( :'(   May try next week.    Both sites seem to be in full working order ;)
   Fiona